Who else noticed Burns body language was off to start the 7th?

I am not an expert, so these are just some observations on my part. Tennessee batters were, it seemed to me, trying to hit home runs every at bat. They also didn't show much discipline at the plate, watching pitches in the middle of the plate belt high for a strike, then swinging at pitches that were on the outside and low, not even strikes. Several half hearted swings that were not going to do anything even if they happened to make contact. As good as Lipscombe has been all year, watch a replay of yesterdays game and see what I'm alluding to. Gilbert hurt the team in more ways than one. He has been just about everything he could be for the team the last two years, but being ejected and the suspension messed with his head. Best I can remember from his at bats yesterday, he hit three pop ups with runners on base. Trying too hard to make something happen instead of making solid contact. Last thing I will say about yesterday, I thought TV should have brought in Beam, Joyce, or some other reliever to start the seventh inning. May have been the same result, or Tennessee could be headed to Omaha right now. We'll never know. Final word; what a great season these guys have had, a lot of good things happening, and recruiting is still picking up great prospects. I don't think this season was an anomaly. I think Tennessee baseball may be becoming a dynasty for some time to come. They were a lot of fun to watch.

It was clear as day on tv and i told my gf that i had a terrible feeling about keeping him when we had a few other rested aces ready and waiting that we could pitch. He looked very visibly tired as well. Still just a freshman.

If me, a fan who loosely follows the sport on tv, could spot this then why didn't Vitello?

Also, i said Lipscomb should have been pulled after the first error. He completely dissapeared at the plate this series as well then costed us big time in the 7th. He looked shook this entire series. Not trying to bash any player, just calling it like i see it. Some guys just come through in bigger moments than others.
Burns was getting his pitches too high in the strike zone in the 7th. He got away with one for the 2nd out when the batter got underneath it too much and popped it 3rd base. Next batter hit a 2 run shot. Burns should have been pulled when the 1st batter got on base.

No they don’t. You proved that you just don’t know baseball with that statement. Trey was a stud all season.

I might not avidly watch it, but i played it competitively for over a decade growing up.

Trey was a stud all season but flopped in what was our most important series of the year. Sorry if that's harsh, but that's what happened. In my last senior HS series i choked as well so i am actually speaking from experience. Had a heck of a year but when the pressure hit me i failed to perform well. He wasn't the only one as well. Gilbert can be added to that list as well.

Either way Vitello got out coached that last game period. ND chose to pitch by committee and it paid off well for them.

Hopefully we learn from this and improve. Still a hell of a year. Just sucks to see it end in the same way as our basketball season after dominating so much.

Last edited:
I might not avidly watch it, but i played it competitively for over a decade growing up.

Trey was a stud all season but flopped in what was our most important series of the year. Sorry if that's harsh, but that's what happened. In my last senior HS series i choked as well so i am actually speaking from experience. Had a heck of a year but when the pressure hit me i failed to perform well. He wasn't the only one as well. Gilbert can be added to that lost as well.

Either way Vitello got out coached that last game period. ND chose to pitch by committee and it paid off well for them.

We only had five hits as a team.

Trey, JB, Drew, JoJo, Evan were all held hitless. That is five good hitters.

I tip my hat to the lefthander from N.D. who recorded 14 outs while only allowing one hit. He pitched very well indeed.

Last edited:
We only had five hits as a team.

Trey, JB, Drew, JoJo, Evan were all held hitless. That is five good hitters.

I tip my hat to the lefthander from N.D. who recorded 11 outs while only allowing one hit. He pitched very well indeed.

He was nasty no doubt. We easily win had they not pulled their starter so quickly.

Reactions: Jax_Vol
In the 7th Inning Tom Hart asked Kyle Peterson, "Where does Tennessee go for bullpen help, if required?" Peterson, who I have a lot of respect for said, " I would not bring in a left hander. ND has 7 RH batters and two switch hitters. I would stay with Chase Burns unless he runs into trouble. His fastball is still 95 + and his others pitches are elite. I don't think Tennessee's Bullpen can do better."

Based on LH pitcher Mabrey's performance on Friday night, facing only four batters and giving up four hits and three runs...reminded me that clearly Peterson was informed.

At the time, Sewell and two left handers were warming up. Drew Beam had struggled coming out of the bullpen during the regular season and had given up four runs against Georgia Tech in the Regional. I assume RH pitcher Beam was not available, for what ever reason.

Of course, Kyle Peterson is not more knowledgeable than our coaching staff. Blade's poor start and having to burn RH pitcher Joyce on Friday put us in this dilemma. Trailing 4 to 3, Sewell entered the game. Everything he threw was high. That's not where he's effective. We were in trouble! When Kirby came in, he got the bunt out on the sacrifice but made Peterson look like a savant, giving up back to back base hits and a four run lead. Not having a dominant RH pitcher in the bullpen to start the 7th inning was the issue and our undoing.

The series was lost on Friday night. That's baseball. Although, I feel like I lost a good friend, I am so excited about the future. Give ND credit.

When asked to describe this teams legacy, Kyle Peterson said with grace and emotion, "The best team in college baseball to not win a CWS." For me, the last five months
has given me so much joy. I will never forget this team. Go VOLS!

Upsets can happen in 3 game series between playoff teams. We probably win 7/8 out of ten against Notre Dame. Accept the fact they outplayed us in 2 of the games. Individual players and coaches should not be singled out.
Agree. I still don’t understand why some so called “fans” like to run down players who gave their all to TN. Just really sad.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Had ctv made the moves you all say and lost… y’all would be coming in here saying “I never would have done that” you go with what got you there and your gut feeling as a coach.but it’s good for message board speak from recliner coaches like me!

In the 7th Inning Tom Hart asked Kyle Peterson, "Where does Tennessee go for bullpen help, if required?" Peterson, who I have a lot of respect for said, " I would not bring in a left hander. ND has 7 RH batters and two switch hitters. I would stay with Chase Burns unless he runs into trouble. His fastball is still 95 + and his others pitches are elite. I don't think Tennessee's Bullpen can do better."

Based on LH pitcher Mabrey's performance on Friday night, facing only four batters and giving up four hits and three runs...reminded me that clearly Peterson was informed.

At the time, Sewell and two left handers were warming up. Drew Beam had struggled coming out of the bullpen during the regular season and had given up four runs against Georgia Tech in the Regional. I assume RH pitcher Beam was not available, for what ever reason.

Of course, Kyle Peterson is not more knowledgeable than our coaching staff. Blade's poor start and having to burn RH pitcher Joyce on Friday put us in this dilemma. Trailing 4 to 3, Sewell entered the game. Everything he threw was high. That's not where he's effective. We were in trouble! When Kirby came in, he got the bunt out on the sacrifice but made Peterson look like a savant, giving up back to back base hits and a four run lead. Not having a dominant RH pitcher in the bullpen to start the 7th inning was the issue and our undoing.

The series was lost on Friday night. That's baseball. Although, I feel like I lost a good friend, I am so excited about the future. Give ND credit.

When asked to describe this teams legacy, Kyle Peterson said with grace and emotion, "The best team in college baseball to not win a CWS." For me, the last five months
Pitching was only part of the problem. Coach Vitello didn't have a great weekend to be sure, but let's not lose sight of our batting and fielding. Just a bad, bad weekend all around for this team and it couldn't have come at a worse time. ND played solid, fundamental baseball and they simply outplayed us.

Reactions: bigorangepoppa
Upsets can happen in 3 game series between playoff teams. We probably win 7/8 out of ten against Notre Dame. Accept the fact they outplayed us in 2 of the games. Individual players and coaches should not be singled out.
I agree completely. Having said that the "in your face" persona of this team brings a lot of that blow back when they don't perform well. Can't have it both ways. If players show out and draw the spotlight, the heat comes with it.

My one thought watching at home was he had done his job and other than Joyce the Vols had a well rested BP. We only had a 2 run lead so why not use the BP at the beginning of the inning. I felt terrible for Burns as until that inning he had given UT everything he had. Made a couple bad pitches to ND players who hit them.

Anderson has to stop getting thrown out of games. I read that we had more ejections this year than the rest of the SEC combined. This isn’t MLB where players largely know how to coach themselves and can withstand a coach/manager getting tossed. We missed Anderson yesterday.
Anderson was protecting Vitello.

Trey was a stud all season but flopped in what was our most important series of the year. Sorry if that's harsh, but that's what happened. In my last senior HS series i choked as well so i am actually speaking from experience. Had a heck of a year but when the pressure hit me i failed to perform well. He wasn't the only one as well. Gilbert can be added to that list as well.

Hopefully we learn from this and improve. Still a hell of a year. Just sucks to see it end in the same way as our basketball season after dominating so much.

Lipscomb did not if you watched the whole series. It’s ridiculous to suggest him getting pulled.

Also, ND started a reliever, so they were pulling the guy anyway much earlier than Burns. Understand the circumstances.

It was clear as day on tv and i told my gf that i had a terrible feeling about keeping him when we had a few other rested aces ready and waiting that we could pitch. He looked very visibly tired as well. Still just a freshman.

If me, a fan who loosely follows the sport on tv, could spot this then why didn't Vitello?

Also, i said Lipscomb should have been pulled after the first error. He completely dissapeared at the plate this series as well then costed us big time in the 7th. He looked shook this entire series. Not trying to bash any player, just calling it like i see it. Some guys just come through in bigger moments than others.

I didn't pay attention to the start of the inning - but without question he shook off two off speed pitches and went with the mid high fastball that was hit out to tie the game. Hopefully, a learning lesson and yes he was getting tired it appeared, but was one pitch away from getting out of the seventh and I am sure that would have been the end of his pitching for the day.

Great season, it broke my heart. Bottom line….young, talented team that was a joy to watch and they let the pressure affect them . They’ll figure it out

I know he had a hell of a season abd is a great player. But sometimes players hit slumps or the pressure gets to him. This series was definitely one of those times and his performance / numbers prove that sentiment to be correct.
Who are you going to put in? I find it hard to believe that this is a serious statement.

What a great post! And it doesn't rely on 20/20 hindsight for its reasoning! It was a great season by the best baseball team in Tennessee history. Thanks to the BaseVols for an amazing, focused and outstanding effort! Now, wait til next season. GBO!

It’s sad that you feel the need to undermine players whose play and hard work put UT in the position of making the Supers, win the SEC, and have a historic season. One bad game doesn’t mean anyone “flopped” to use your really poor choice of words. I’d say you flopped by posting that garbage.

First - You are right. Even though he still had "good stuff" Burns was letting pitches drift high in the sixth. Which to me means his body was getting tired. Had he not shown his as- earlier in the series, our pitching coach would have likely noticed this and at least tried to make the change going into the seventh. (in an orderly fashion, not a heat of the moment thing).

Second - Lipscomb just did what several guys did,,,, it's called choke,,, not sure what to do to correct this. Maybe we could hire the little guy from the movie (The Natural) that says losing is like a disease. (this is two years in a row for major choking)

Third - Tony got it right, he made some coaching decisions that turned out bad. On the other hand, the ND guy was truly the better coach on this weekend. Starting with his decision in the second game to "give up and fight on another day" it really set up his staff for the third game.

Fourth - I am not a fan of the new swing, that is what I call the upper cut. I know it creates lots of long balls. But what ND players were taught, that is to shorten with a longer count seems to pay off in the long run. If you are swinging for the fence in late counts, many time you will get to walk back to the bench. There is nothing wrong with 15-16 singles and 7-8 runs in a game.

First - You are right. Even though he still had "good stuff" Burns was letting pitches drift high in the sixth. Which to me means his body was getting tired. Had he not shown his as- earlier in the series, our pitching coach would have likely noticed this and at least tried to make the change going into the seventh. (in an orderly fashion, not a heat of the moment thing).

Second - Lipscomb just did what several guys did,,,, it's called choke,,, not sure what to do to correct this. Maybe we could hire the little guy from the movie (The Natural) that says losing is like a disease. (this is two years in a row for major choking)

Third - Tony got it right, he made some coaching decisions that turned out bad. On the other hand, the ND guy was truly the better coach on this weekend. Starting with his decision in the second game to "give up and fight on another day" it really set up his staff for the third game.

Fourth - I am not a fan of the new swing, that is what I call the upper cut. I know it creates lots of long balls. But what ND players were taught, that is to shorten with a longer count seems to pay off in the long run. If you are swinging for the fence in late counts, many time you will get to walk back to the bench. There is nothing wrong with 15-16 singles and 7-8 runs in a game.

ND hit at least 4 HR’s in the series with a 2 strike count.

Saying a player choked in one game in a 3 game series where he hit the ball great in the other two?

True fan we have here.

VN Store

Back