Who else noticed Burns body language was off to start the 7th?

BigOrangePaddy

It was clear as day on tv and i told my gf that i had a terrible feeling about keeping him when we had a few other rested aces ready and waiting that we could pitch. He looked very visibly tired as well. Still just a freshman.

If me, a fan who loosely follows the sport on tv, could spot this then why didn't Vitello?

Also, i said Lipscomb should have been pulled after the first error. He completely dissapeared at the plate this series as well then costed us big time in the 7th. He looked shook this entire series. Not trying to bash any player, just calling it like i see it. Some guys just come through in bigger moments than others.

Reactions: savannahfan
It was clear as day on tv and i told my gf that i had a terrible feeling about keeping him when we had a few other rested aces ready and waiting that we could pitch. He looked very visibly tired as well. Still just a freshman.

If me, a fan who loosely follows the sport on tv, could spot this then why didn't Vitello?

Also, i said Lipscomb should have been pulled after the first error. He completely dissapeared at the plate this series as well then costed us big time in the 7th. He looked shook this entire series. Not trying to bash any player, just calling it like i see it. Some guys just come through in bigger moments than others.

Yeah, we definitely should've pulled a player who is one of five finalists nationwide for the Howser Award because he had one error. He definitely disappeared the whole series, particularly his 2 for 5 on Friday that included his 22nd HR of the season, a double, and 3 RBIs

Yeah, we definitely should've pulled a player who is one of five finalists nationwide for the Howser Award because he had one error. He definitely disappeared the whole series, particularly his 2 for 5 on Friday that included his 22nd HR of the season, a double, and 3 RBIs

I know he had a hell of a season abd is a great player. But sometimes players hit slumps or the pressure gets to him. This series was definitely one of those times and his performance / numbers prove that sentiment to be correct.

I know he had a hell of a season abd is a great player. But sometimes players hit slumps or the pressure gets to him. This series was definitely one of those times and his performance / numbers prove that sentiment to be correct.
It’s baseball. Failure happens. A lot.

It’s just unfortunate that too much of it happened, at the wrong times, in the wrong ways this weekend.

I realize it sounds extreme at the time but the guy also dissapeared at the plate the entire series.

You gotta dance with the girl that you bring to the prom.

I watched the whole season, and don't even know the name of our backup third baseman.

Who are you subbing in there at third?

Hindsight is 20/20.

It's easy to second guess now.

In hindsight, I think the ejection of Anderson on Friday hurt us more than anything else in the series.

Good coaches know what to do in situations, great coaches know to rely on those good coaches. Vitello is a great coach that was missing his pitching coach on Sunday and it showed.

I didn’t notice any body language issues at all with Burns to start the 7th, but I definitely would have pulled him after the one-out double when he hit roughly 90 pitches. I think Tony would agree, but it is what it is. I can understand why he left him in.
The ground rule double was the first time they’d barreled him in several innings. I get leaving him in then.

But you have to get him after that first homer. Tony knows he screwed that up. It’s easy for us to forget he’s only been a HC 5 years. Live and learn.

In hindsight, I think the ejection of Anderson on Friday hurt us more than anything else in the series.

Good coaches know what to do in situations, great coaches know to rely on those good coaches. Vitello is a great coach that was missing his pitching coach on Sunday and it showed.
Anderson has to stop getting thrown out of games. I read that we had more ejections this year than the rest of the SEC combined. This isn’t MLB where players largely know how to coach themselves and can withstand a coach/manager getting tossed. We missed Anderson yesterday.

It was a hot day yesterday. I still say the was on the coaching. Maybe not having Anderson in the dugout hurt us. Freshman or not, Burns gave us 6 solid innings.

Hindsight, blah, blah.
When Burns gave up the first HR @ 88 pitches I was yelling at the tube to go get him right now. ND showed all weekend they could hit bombs.
I thought going into this game we would see Burns 3/4 innings then go to Beam 3/4 innings, Cam if necessary, then Redmond to seal the deal.
I'll always wonder why TV did not go to Beam, all weekend.... maybe he was sick

Anderson has to stop getting thrown out of games. I read that we had more ejections this year than the rest of the SEC combined. This isn’t MLB where players largely know how to coach themselves and can withstand a coach/manager getting tossed. We missed Anderson yesterday.
1000% agree - LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the guy's passion for the sport, the team, and his players...but you have to be able to harness that emotion and do positive.

Hindsight, blah, blah.
When Burns gave up the first HR @ 88 pitches I was yelling at the tube to go get him right now. ND showed all weekend they could hit bombs.
I thought going into this game we would see Burns 3/4 innings then go to Beam 3/4 innings, Cam if necessary, then Redmond to seal the deal.
I'll always wonder why TV did not go to Beam, all weekend.... maybe he was sick
It seemed to me they were not confident in Beam for the playoffs.

It seemed to me they were not confident in Beam for the playoffs.

And I don't blame them. The kid had understandably hit a wall (given his HS progression, it makes sense).

His stuff had lost a little, and as a pitch to contact guy, that's enough to cause massive problems. I would have handled him the same way.

Maybe you rest him a little more later in the season...but hindsight and all that....

Yep. Bad decisions by both Drew and Anderson. Cost us.

And I don't blame them. The kid had understandably hit a wall (given his HS progression, it makes sense).

His stuff had lost a little, and as a pitch to contact guy, that's enough to cause massive problems. I would have handled him the same way.

Maybe you rest him a little more later in the season...but hindsight and all that....
He’ll be ok with Anderson. I think the biggest surprise pitcher for next year will be Wyatt Evans. I think he takes on a bigger role in the weekend bullpen.

Hope you're getting your resume together for when we fire Coach V. Surely can't keep a coach so blind. Glad we got you tho.

VN Store

Back