Who else here is old enough

Anybody remember walking the train track trestle over Second Creek to get to the stadium? I guess it was taken out for the world's fair.
I walked that one and the one over the river.

My first game was in 78.

Reactions: 76vol
My earliest recalls of Vol football as a youngster was The Swamp Rat/Dewey Warren along with Richmond Flowers playing on a team that beat the Bear, don't recall the year. My Dad used to hang with a bunch of guys when he traveled to Knoxville one of which was Doug Atkins, so it was party central when he would take me along on a trip over there from Middle Tennessee. This was back in the days when guys used to laugh about how many DUIs they had. Lol, I probably experienced a lot a kid my age shouldn't have at the time but other than sex addictions, acoholism, and 40 years of counseling I'm finally getting better. LOL, just kidding, wouldn't trade my childhood for anybody's.

Reactions: peaygolf and 76vol
My earliest recalls of Vol football as a youngster was The Swamp Rat/Dewey Warren along with Richmond Flowers playing on a team that beat the Bear, don't recall the year. My Dad used to hang with a bunch of guys when he traveled to Knoxville one of which was Doug Atkins, so it was party central when he would take me along on a trip over there from Middle Tennessee. This was back in the days when guys used to laugh about how many DUIs they had. Lol, I probably experienced a lot a kid my age shouldn't have at the time but other than sex addictions, acoholism, and 40 years of counseling I'm finally getting better. LOL, just kidding, wouldn't trade my childhood for anybody's.

Two peas in a pod..............minus the counseling.:cool::eek:

Reactions: Remy
1968 was my freshman year. After the UCLA game the crowd leaving got jammed up due to construction of the west side upper deck. There was a ditch that was blocking folks. I (thoroughly) fortified with liquid courage yelled "Go for it!!" and people began jumping the ditch. It was just a few weeks later that I noticed that the phrase had expanded beyond fourth down and was being used in all sorts of risky situations.

Believe it or not, I changed the English language usage.

By the way, Johnson finished 6th in the Heisman voting that year. I don't know for sure, but I bet that is the highest ranked center of all time.
Jerry Tubbs, Oklahoma center, finished 4th in Heisman voting in 1956.

To remember listening to George Mooney and Bob Fox announcing Tennessee Football in the days prior to John Ward? My father was a UT grad, so I can remember as a little kid sitting beside a giant radio listening to Johnny Majors playing in the single wing formation. Any other old farts on this board? LOL

I am 80 and was a UT fan starting listening in 1948 and 49.

Reactions: 1972 Grad
I remember.......I go back to coach Bowden Wyatt days....My first attended game was 1958.

Does anyone remember Jim McDonald who coached a year between Wyatt and Dickey?

I remember.......I go back to coach Bowden Wyatt days....My first attended game was 1958.

Does anyone remember Jim McDonald who coached a year between Wyatt and Dickey?
Yes. I think they made him an assistant AD after that.

To remember listening to George Mooney and Bob Fox announcing Tennessee Football in the days prior to John Ward? My father was a UT grad, so I can remember as a little kid sitting beside a giant radio listening to Johnny Majors playing in the single wing formation. Any other old farts on this board? LOL
Just before my time by only a couple of years old timer

Pick of Dixie football on Saturday night. Always LSU it seemed like. They are still my second favorite team after Ut.
Me too. Loved listening to WWL out of New Orleans on a Saturday night in my youth. Vols only played day games before 1972.

Reactions: leon
Lol, Jim Brown was ROBBED not Johnny.
And Tommy McDonald , Oklahoma running back had the best stats in the country, and won the Maxwell Award in 1956 as the best college football player. He was 3rd in Heisman voting. He was at Oklahoma when they didn't lose a game for almost 5 years.

Reactions: CaliVol2009

VN Store

Back