Who else here is old enough

I don't know, but my father graduated from UT as a ROTC Major and went straight into the Army as Major in charge of 191st Field Artillery under Patton. He was KIA in France when I was 3 months old, so I never knew him.

I don’t know if “like” is the right response or not but special thanks to your father and you for the sacrifices made for all of us.

First games was the season of 1969 Bobby Scott number 10. First job was @ the stadium. Was at the first night game. Remember scaling the fence behind the green stands in the North end zone to sneak in for the thrill of it. But you got me beat.

I was ten when I started listening in the 63 season with (now a federal judge) Mallon Faircloth. Big names I remember on the team were Steve DeLong, and Dick Evey. Evey was a huge, hulking guard that went on to play for the Bears. The local station did a piece on him the one summer and showed him on his farm building a zig zagging rail fence out of railroad ties by himself. Pretty impressive. Of course DeLong became a legend . The Sentinel was black and white back in those days and the always had the arrows on the action photos with the name of the player. I think Tom Siler was the main reporter back then, man that seems like a 100 years ago...

I was ten when I started listening in the 63 season with (now a federal judge) Mallon Faircloth. Big names I remember on the team were Steve DeLong, and Dick Evey. Evey was a huge, hulking guard that went on to play for the Bears. The local station did a piece on him the one summer and showed him on his farm building a zig zagging rail fence out of railroad ties by himself. Pretty impressive. Of course DeLong became a legend . The Sentinel was black and white back in those days and the always had the arrows on the action photos with the name of the player. I think Tom Siler was the main reporter back then, man that seems like a 100 years ago...
Don't forget Steve Kiner.

Reactions: Seattle Hillbilly
To remember listening to George Mooney and Bob Fox announcing Tennessee Football in the days prior to John Ward? My father was a UT grad, so I can remember as a little kid sitting beside a giant radio listening to Johnny Majors playing in the single wing formation. Any other old farts on this board? LOL
I remember Lendsey Nelson broadcasting games before George. He was on the same level as John Ward.

I went to my 1st game @ Sheilds-Watkins Field in ‘52, the General’s last year. Other than having to stand on my seat to see, I don’t remember a whole lot - no old fart jokes....please

Reactions: ptcarter
1964 was the year I seriously became a VOL fanatic which was also the first year of Doug Dickey. I remember listening to George who was still the "Voice of the Vols" and a darn good one. Of course, nobody was better the John.

I'm too young.. and I have less of an opportunity to say that these days. My first VOLS game was 1965. Didn't listen to it on the radio, but if Moody was broadcasting that day, at least we were in the stadium at the same time. It was vs. Army. I was 8 yrs old.

And here I thought I was dating myself when I made a post comparing this season to 1981!

You were dating yourself.

He just trumped you with a Whos your grand daddy? Move.

That’s all.

Your still old, don’t worry.

😂

To remember listening to George Mooney and Bob Fox announcing Tennessee Football in the days prior to John Ward? My father was a UT grad, so I can remember as a little kid sitting beside a giant radio listening to Johnny Majors playing in the single wing formation. Any other old farts on this board? LOL
I attended my first game in 1951 (a freshman in high school I believe they were playing MIss St, I remember the cow bells, I don't rember the score.

Two things stood out here. One of the series of downs was during the 1965 season after the 3 UT assistant coaches were killed when a train hit their car. You can see the black cross on the "T" on the helmet. The other was that dang cannon they'd shoot off from the hill. It was loud.

15193850456_1c0fa5c849_h.jpg

Two things stood out here. One of the series of downs was during the 1965 season after the 3 UT assistant coaches were killed when a train hit their car. You can see the black cross on the "T" on the helmet. The other was that dang cannon they'd shoot off from the hill. It was loud.

15193850456_1c0fa5c849_h.jpg
Also I noticed the checkerboard end zone, didn’t realize we had those back then.

Reactions: ptcarter

My first game was Tenn/Al in 1959. 7 7 tie. Johnny's brother Bill was the tailback and Wyatt was the Head Coach. I remember Cotton Letner, Gene Etter, and Jim Cartwright. The off tackle play where the two pulling guards, the blockingback, and fullback all leading the tailback through the hole made it rough on a defensive end lol.

Any of you old enough to remember who the first play by play broadcaster for the Vol Network was !

Lindsey Nelson

Didn't he later become Knox Co. School Supt.? Or am I thinking of somebody else?

Edit: Never mind. Somebody else. I'm old enough to only sort of remember things.

Man I love stuff like that. I trust the person those things will be left to already knows it and will treasure them as much as you do. I remember a young John Ward and Bill Battle doing a coaches show which was aired in West Tennessee at like 5:00 on Sunday afternoon. It was the only time I recall where mama allowed my brothers and me to eat our supper in front of the TV. We would hang on every word and me being the youngest I ask a lot of questions. I’m often ask why I’m a Vol and St Louis Cardinals fan. The answer is simple...because my older brothers are...So thankful we have older guys on this site to share the Big Orange history with the younger fans!

VN Store

Back