Who Do You Root for Now?

Now that we're down to the end, I prefer Arizona take the crown this year as they sent Geno and his crew back home in the regional finals for the 4th year straight. His decline is evident IMO.

Better root for someone, 'cause I don't see the LVs making any significant runs in the tournament for the next few years. The LVs are beginning to travel the same path as teams like La Tech and ODU. it's different than what we saw with ND this year, where a team has an off year and recovers the following season or two. LVs fans will have many years where they're just excited about making the tournament. i've said it before and i'll continue to say it. you don't replace a coach like PS with just anyone. i don't mean to suggest that Warlick/Harper aren't good coaches, or maybe I do :D, but Warlick didn't do the program any favors, and unfortunately Harper may not be able to fix it because she won't be able to secure top recruits. it made sense to replace PS with someone on her bench as a first move, but the next move should've been someone with name recognition, someone who is still relevant and admired by young ladies who want to grow their game. for me that person was/is Tamika Catchings. nothing against Harper, and I'm aware that she's taken several teams to the big dance, but the dance didn't last very long, and her overall record was just average. i admit Catchings doesn't even have a coaching record, but she's tough as nails, demands those around her go hard, AND there's no bigger name recognition in WBB. top recruits would've lined up to play for her, but only IF she was interested in coaching. and that may be the dilemma - Catchings wasn't interested.?.?
Having a big name coach does not guarantee success in recruiting. Catch is my all time favorite LV but has shown zero interest in coaching. She is currently an executive and will likely stay there. She may change her mind at some point, Lawson clearly did, but both at the time were not coming to lead the team.

I think Harper is fine and the team made strides this year. The talent level does need to increase. Warlick and Reeves were able to keep very good players coming in but they didn't produce and the team got worse each season. Harper has stopped the bleeding and the attitudes seem to be much better among the team but top players aren't looking to the LVs right now. UConn has loaded up the past few years and so has SC. The portal may seem like a good place to find some top talent and the LVs need a true point guard desperately. The incoming class lacks big name power but the class is still a strong one on paper. No, I didn't see the LVs joining the top 5 programs again this year but she's made progress.

I like Tara, but I like the underdog more here, so I'll be pulling for AZ. A couple of interesting notes on their staff:

- Jaime Nared's sister, Jackie, is an assistant coach there.
- As with TN, the Wildcats have a wife/husband head coach and assistant coach -- Adia Barnes and Salvo Coppa.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Having a big name coach does not guarantee success in recruiting. Catch is my all time favorite LV but has shown zero interest in coaching. She is currently an executive and will likely stay there. She may change her mind at some point, Lawson clearly did, but both at the time were not coming to lead the team.

I think Harper is fine and the team made strides this year. The talent level does need to increase. Warlick and Reeves were able to keep very good players coming in but they didn't produce and the team got worse each season. Harper has stopped the bleeding and the attitudes seem to be much better among the team but top players aren't looking to the LVs right now. UConn has loaded up the past few years and so has SC. The portal may seem like a good place to find some top talent and the LVs need a true point guard desperately. The incoming class lacks big name power but the class is still a strong one on paper. No, I didn't see the LVs joining the top 5 programs again this year but she's made progress.

I don't see the progress. In fact, "on paper" the team is worse than Holly's first two years. With the current staff, I don't see the LVs returning to anything remotely close to the storied program it once was. I would say that I hope you're right about the class being strong on paper, and that'll be enough. it won't be.

I don't see the progress. In fact, "on paper" the team is worse than Holly's first two years. With the current staff, I don't see the LVs returning to anything remotely close to the storied program it once was. I would say that I hope you're right about the class being strong on paper, and that'll be enough. it won't be.

Would be more appropriate to compare Kellie’s first two years to Holly’s last two years. Not Holly’s first two years.

Of course Holly did fine for a season or two. Pat was still sitting behind the bench and still around. Her mojo was still available to draw off of. Soon as she passed things went downhill fast for Holly. It makes me quite sad because I’m sure she was in a terrible place emotionally, but her coaching stunk.

Kellie has breathed some life into the program. We had fallen a long, long way and very quickly.

VN Store

Back