Who do we want?

Creighton lost twice to Providence. Not sure Kim English runs exact same defense and schemes since he left but don't you think he maybe figured something out and Barnes won't be on the phone getting intel.

Vols have played multiple top 10 offenses this year and was never blown out and won multiple games. Vols very much have a chance and can win the game. If they shoot 3-25 from 3 again, yeah probably going to lose to Creighton. But apart from teams with elite centers, the teams these vols have struggled with are hyper physical slow paced teams I.e. TAM, USC, Miss St. They haven't struggled against high scoring efficient offenses. It will be tough but I think this team has a decent chance to win.
They also beat top overall 1 seed UConn by almost 20 points.

They also beat top overall 1 seed UConn by almost 20 points.
Correct. They shot 14/28 from 3 and UConn shot 3/16 from 3. Vols definitely lose with those type of splits.

My point was that vols have better than a punchers chance and even are favored against Creighton. Does that mean they'll win? No, but they have a decent chance and I don't think vols will be intimidated by Creightons offense.

I tend to believe that we win just about any game where Aidoo plays well, but I think this game especially fits that mold. If he can contain Kalkbrenner, then that will enable our guards to play more pressure defense in Creighton’s guards and run them off the three point line. So again, Aidoo is the X factor. If he plays well, particularly on the defensive end, I like our chances. Perhaps that’s an overly simplistic view, but that’s my stance.
He doesn't need to win just play 1:1. Our perimeter D is next level. ZZ will create massive issues for their sharpshooting PG. Mashak, SV, and James can make their offense struggle I believe. Oregons D was 100% gassed late and in OT1. In OT2 they were literally shuffling around while CU made plays.

I watched our game. Took an afterglow moment and the flipped to watch 2nd ½ over there. The games literally looked like HS v College in physicality. Almost like a different sport. If we mangle the rims as bad as we did v UTjr, then we'll lose. But, if we just shoot our average, bring our current D, and the officials allow it, we'll roll Creighton I believe.

Dude does not look that big on the tv
He was elite in the 2nd ½ last night. A little raw without much "away from the rim" offensive skill. But defense, rebounding, and scoring in the paint he was dominant. Another year of college experience and he'll be phenomenal. Unfortunately he'll go off to the NBA on potential probably.

Creighton's point guards will struggle with ZZ.
Yes he will. He was top level the 4th Q and both OTs. But as time went on, UOs energy disappeared. They had no depth and were gassed. It is absolutely NOTHING like the shart storm he will face with Zeiglar and or Mashak. If we bring our D and just shoot normally, Creighton's in trouble IMO.

Creighton about to lose this one
They should have lost. Oregons coach blew this IMO. With seconds left, 4pt lead and a full court inbounds, CU with OBVIOUS immediate foul instructions. Oregons coach left their 60% FT shooting big on the court. CU covered 3 guys and guess who was left to take the inbounds? You guessed it and he clanked the front of a 1&1, CU quickly tied and sent to OT. I'm not quitting my day job, but I couldn't believe he was on the court to take an inbounds. Coaching malpractice IMO.

Reactions: walkenvol
I for sure think ZZ is going to cause 1 problems. I think 1 will have issues handling the ball and staying in front of ZZ.
#5 for UO broke down CUs perimeter D literally AT WILL. They literally crossed ½ court and dribbled away 10sec to rest then immediately got to the paint and made plays. Creighton's perimeter D ain't ours, I can promise you that.

What is this? Sure Creighton can beat us but they aren't some elite team. 2 losses to Providence, loss to Butler and Villanova on their home floor, double digit beatdowns by Colorado State, St. Johns, and UNLV. We play our game and we win. Let's go. And Gonzaga is going to beat Purdue.
Zaga may very well. And I'm not sure we want that. That team has been on fire the 2nd ½ of the season at like 16-1 or something. They are different then early when they lost so many.

Agree Aidoo isnt a post up guy. Awaka is. Their big guy can stay grounded and put 2 hands up. If Aidoo can hit 3 or 4 of those 12 footers that are one of his strengths that big fella wont be out there. Had he drawn Oregon their athletic big would have followed Jonas out there. I like the matchup comparatively. We know at this stage every team will present problems. I think Creightons is straight forward. I do feel it cpuld be a blessing in event we advance and so does Purdue that our bigs will have recent experience of how to handle a huge space taker and lets face it while Edey is a much better player he will step out even less than Kalkbrenner or however you say Creightons big mans name. So Aidoo can even shoot from 9 to 10 feet.
Idk why Aidoo has stopped shooting 3s. He can shoot it pretty decently and it helps stretch the defense. I wouldn’t mind him shooting 1-3 per game from the top of the key or in the corner.

Reactions: DeepSpringsVol
I think UT is going to bring a very physical game to Creighton - the likes of which they haven’t seen. And with that, beat them badly. Out rebound them significantly. Win the turnover battle significantly with our D. Shoot decently. Get a bunch of points in the paint and keep their big dude in foul trouble and holding his bruised nutsack sitting on the bench. Roll these debate- club looking dbags and take their lunch money.
Color this one BIG ORANGE.

Reactions: CornbreadVol
The Ducks or the Bluejays?

I think it’s really obvious that we wanted Creighton. You have to think about the type of teams we struggled with this year—and it was teams that played like Oregon. ESPECIALLY when they started showing Cousinard’s grandma. I’ve had enough of old lady’s showing up at our games…

VN Store

Back