Who developed Huepel when he was at OKLAHOMA?

Leach was OC and QB coach in 1999, Mark Mangino was OC in 2000 when they won the NC. Chuck Long was QB coach in 2000.

Josh had some pretty good coaching at Oklahoma.
Yep. I think Mangino and Long did very good well at developing him, unless someone did before he got to Oklahoma. Actually, he must have been a very good QB in his younger days or he would not have been attending Oklahoma.

Leach was OC and QB coach in 1999, Mark Mangino was OC in 2000 when they won the NC. Chuck Long was QB coach in 2000.

Josh had some pretty good coaching at Oklahoma.
Good coaching? I was told that Mike Leach was a terrible coach by some here on Volnation.

Josh Heupel's a self-made man.

Seriously. Before he ever got to Oklahoma, before he ever met Stoops, Leach, Mangino, or Long, he was already a hot commodity.

Didn't play much his freshman year, but as a sophomore (at a JUCO), he passed for 2,300 yards and 28 TDs...while sharing play time with another guy.

Don't get me wrong; I'm sure he learned things from his Oklahoma coaches. But it's not like they made him who he was. He was already elite and performing at a very high level.

Josh Heupel developed Josh Heupel. Well, and his dad and high school coach, they probably had something to do with it, heh.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Heupel was already outstanding when he came to the Sooners in 1999. I remember following all this on the Internet of 20 years ago and I knew a lot of Sooners fans on AOL. They were excited to get him because he was the top QB out of the JUCO ranks. This was right after Michael Bishop's career at Kansas State, where he'd come out of JUCO and made them a national title contender. Oklahoma was a bad team, but had talent and now it had a coach and a quarterback. They went a very competitive 7-5 in his first season. Some of their fans used the same line I see from UT fans now--"Believe the Heup!" The first time I saw it was before he'd even played a game for the Sooners.

As others have said, Mike Leach and Mark Mangino were both on that staff. But Heupel knew his stuff already. I saw some of his '99 games. He was what you might expect, a smart as hell guy with an average at best throwing arm, couldn't run well, but made good decisions and was accurate. He was a coach on the field (and a coach's son) long before he was ever a coach himself. If you had told me in 2000 that he would one day be head coach at UT, I wouldn't have thought you were nuts.

I pulled for the Sooners to beat Florida State in that national title game (I was sick of their excuses about losing the Fiesta Bowl to us), and I thought if they were going to give the Hypesman to a quarterback, Heup should have gotten it.

It's worth noting that OU has had better talent overall and better NFL prospects at quarterback many times since Heupel graduated 21 years ago, but they have not won another national championship since.

I really don't worry about the quarterback position as long as he's UT's coach. After making himself a star QB in college football, and once converting a wide receiver back to quarterback as a coach at OU and winning the Big 12 with him, he probably looks at a dude like Hendon Hooker and thinks that's child's play.

Good coaching? I was told that Mike Leach was a terrible coach by some here on Volnation.
The same people who love Lane Kiffin because he is supposedly a great offensive mind would never even consider Mike Leach, and say all kinds of bad things about him in the process. Leach is a better offensive mind than Kiffin could ever imagine being. Kiffin copied people like Mike Leach and Josh Heupel. He is not an innovator. He studied people. I understand that same process cures diseases and does other great things, but let’s not pretend that he is some kind of pioneer. Kiffin is a professional video game player who was able to translate that into a career based on his father’s name.

Reactions: Big Al Orange

VN Store

Back