Who can beat us?

I believe today was the most beatable we've looked all season. It was just a bad recipe, we went arctic cold, and Petty could do no wrong for 12 minutes. Thank God for that halftime cushion and Bama's inability to hit a free throw. If VA goes down tonight, we will absolutely be #1 come Monday, and as a fan, I'm not sure I even want it quite this early. Complacency is a killer, and I worry we'd be even more victim to it at #1 than #3. Hopefully today will light some fires.

Reactions: Vols All Day
I believe today was the most beatable we've looked all season. It was just a bad recipe, we went arctic cold, and Petty could do no wrong for 12 minutes. Thank God for that halftime cushion and Bama's inability to hit a free throw. If VA goes down tonight, we will absolutely be #1 come Monday, and as a fan, I'm not sure I even want it. Complacency is a killer, and I worry we'd be even more victim to it at #1 than #3. Hopefully today will light some fires.
We made it REALLY easy for him during that 12 minute stretch. As well as we played defensively in the first 12 minutes, that stretch for Petty was inexplicable.

We made it REALLY easy for him during that 12 minute stretch. As well as we played defensively in the first 12 minutes, that stretch for Petty was inexplicable.

Yeah but I do wish we'd picked it up up a little sooner; dude had 26 before we really adjusted to it. That said, this is not our first close game, and I take comfort that championship caliber teams find a way to get it done in the end. Kudos to Turner for the ice water in his veins on those last 2 free throws.

Reactions: SmokeyLives
Here was another game I put at 50/50....As fortune had it Tennessee was at home thankfully. Don't complain about refs anymore.
Tennessee started goint downhill after first 10 minutes of 1st half. The play was horrific. Looked all out of sorts.
Lucky breaks does indeed win championships. With Turner and the Admiral having a dreary day point wise Tennessee was fortunate.
I said earlier in the year slashers and big men going to the basket would be one of Tennessee's weaknesses. Other than that I wonder when it occurred to the team that Penny was going to throttle Tennessee all by himself. Tennessee got taken to school somewhat today. After the 1st 10 minutes it was painful to watch.
These type let downs during a game can become a tendency. These type games are also the reason teams exit early in the Tourney. This makes the 2nd game this has happened.

Other than that complaining I will end with this; if Fulky and Pons are going to continue to play they both need to find out what it means to score with the ball. Dribble and pass all you want but if you don't score you don't win. This far into the season and practically no scoring in this type game is not good. You'd think by now with the minutes these guys have played in each game you would think they would refuse to be scoreless or at least expect 6 points or so. I know, you have to have the D but I don't like the fact that these 2 are not scoring.

Petty is a scorer. He wants the ball and he continues to shoot until he gets hot and hotter. Great game by the young man. He is great with the ball. I give the kid a lot of credit for his efforts today. Like I said in another post. Tennessee better be glad they were on their home floor or this would have ended in a Loss. They are starting to play 20 minutes of pretty good ball and 20 minutes of lack-luster ball....Have to expand the leads when you have the opportunity instead of playing around and getting more than careless. I was somewhat disappointed to say the least.

Petty is a scorer. He wants the ball and he continues to shoot until he gets hot and hotter. Great game by the young man. He is great with the ball. I give the kid a lot of credit for his efforts today. Like I said in another post. Tennessee better be glad they were on their home floor or this would have ended in a Loss. They are starting to play 20 minutes of pretty good ball and 20 minutes of lack-luster ball....Have to expand the leads when you have the opportunity instead of playing around and getting more than careless. I was somewhat disappointed to say the least.
I don't disagree about Petty, but we left him WIDE OPEN on the majority of those shots in that late 1st/early 2nd half stretch.

I don't disagree about Petty, but we left him WIDE OPEN on the majority of those shots in that late 1st/early 2nd half stretch.
The problem is Tennessee left him open again and again and again....well you get the jest. The Admiral should have called a time out if the coach wouldn't. This is the second game that the team has pulled this stunt. They look like they were just meandering around on the court. I guess the Alabama turn overs came to easy for Tennessee in the 1st half. I hope I don't see a let down by the team like that again all season. Evidently, Barnes thrashing about the last game was forgotten. Petty and a couple others took the D to school much too often.

The problem is Tennessee left him open again and again and again....well you get the jest. The Admiral should have called a time out if the coach wouldn't. This is the second game that the team has pulled this stunt. They look like they were just meandering around on the court. I guess the Alabama turn overs came to easy for Tennessee in the 1st half. I hope I don't see a let down by the team like that again all season. Evidently, Barnes thrashing about the last game was forgotten. Petty and a couple others took the D to school much too often.
I know, which is why I said we made it really easy on them.

I know, which is why I said we made it really easy on them.

What frustrated me is we played pretty great in the first half, and looked like we had learned from messing around at the end of the Arkansas game. And then suddenly it felt like a switch was flipped and we suddenly couldn't do anything right.

And Alabama as a whole did not play that well. One guy did.

What frustrated me is we played pretty great in the first half, and looked like we had learned from messing around at the end of the Arkansas game. And then suddenly it felt like a switch was flipped and we suddenly couldn't do anything right.

And Alabama as a whole did not play that well. One guy did.
Agree

BB is a game of seconds. We were up 15 - 2 and blew it. Came away with a win, but barely survived. Anytime #1 is taken into overtime, it is time to worry.

It seems like a team with a really athletic wing/guard who can create his own shot can give us matchup problems. In the games we have struggled, players like Saben Lee and John Petty both flourished with amazing games. We have a great defense but we just have problems guarding these type of players and breaks down our defense. That's why I'm concerned about the bracket projections placing us in the same region as a team like a 12 seed Murray State (who happens to have one of the best guards in the NCAA) where we could possibly be upset in the second or third round.

seems like three point shooters have been our biggest problem when we play a tight "collapsing zone"...no hand in face...:D

GO VOLS...RECRUIT LIKE HECK!

VN Store

Back