Who Are Your Rivals?

BUBear

Football On The Brazos
Somebody started this thread on the Baylor MBB Forum last night.

Hello Baylor Fans,

It was quite the year for the Baylor Bears. Hopefully they can continue their dominance in 2022.

Since 2014, wethe students and professors of the Know Rivalry Projecthave been studying rivalries in North American. Now we are expanding our research to the College hoops. Please help us ensure that the Baylor Bears are included by taking 9 minutes to complete our updated survey:

MBB: https://umassamherst.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3FdJ8eN2EgFCfCB?mbsrc=krdir&grpID=1472
WBB and Football: https://umassamherst.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3FdJ8eN2EgFCfCB?mbsrc=krdir

Our previous results in the US have been featured in numerous sports media outlets, as well as the Wall Street Journal and New York Times. You can view Baylor's Football Rivalries, links to media coverage, and learn more about us at our KnowRivalry.com.

We use Qualtrics online survey software for data collection. This academic research is approved by 2 US universities' Institutional Review Boards (IRB) and it poses no risks to respondents. You'll find more information on the disclosure agreement that is required to start the survey. Thank you for helping us to include the Baylor Bears by participating and please share this with any other fans that may also help.

Jonah, Student Researcher, Northern Kentucky University
Dr. Joe Cobbs, Northern Kentucky University
Dr. David Tyler, University of [/QUOTE

Three most common answers were:

1. Covid
2. Indiana Hoosiers of 1975-76 and their 32-0 record.
3. Practice

How would y'all answer this question for any or all of your programs?

Baseball and softball college teams only able to offer roughly 12 scholarships. While Vanderbilt has different rules for baseball scholarships and a bowling team for girls.
Participation trophies
Parents who post about participation trophies (or pose with kid with said trophy and post on social media)
Kentucky football fans when they start the season with a winning record
Those who live in Nashville/Middle TN who allowed the infusion of Bama and Auburn fans.

Just a few off the top of my head.

Tennessee is in a unique spot because 1) I don't think our fanbase coalesces around a single team being our biggest rival and 2) no other school sees Tennessee as its biggest rival.

I think most older UT fans see Alabama as our biggest "rival," the uncompetitiveness in the rivalry notwithstanding. Younger fans would say either Florida or Georgia depending on who you talked to. Neither Alabama, Florida, or Georgia see Tennessee as their biggest rival. Vandy and Kentucky (in football) see Tennessee as their biggest rivalry, but no UT fan sees those schools as our biggest rival.

Back when they set up the SEC and got some basic scheduling in place, they set up Vandy to be Tennessee's big in-state, rivalry week game. Vandy was actually pretty good back then, but they've sucked since the late 1930s, so it's like Tennessee was kind of left without a singular big rival.

Georgia
Ala****
Florida
Kentucky

I group Alabama, Florida and Georgia as our biggest rivals. If I had to choose one out of the group I detest the most, it would be Florida.

Reactions: Plecoptera
Peach bowl
Penn State
Mike Hamilton
Phil Fulmer
Dave Hart
Butch Jones
Jeremy Pruitt
Kiffin
Clemson
Sanford stadium
Fumbles
Charts
Mt Cody
Florida
Georgia
Chaney
1 page offenses
3-4 defenses
Sal Sunseri
Al Wilson comparisons
Coach K
Soft coverage
Contract extensions
3rd and ___________ coach
Shoop will be elite
Vandy
Kentucky
Mark Stoops
James I shouldn’t be aloud to coach Franklin

In no particular order.

Reactions: 05_never_again
We're none of the big 3 main rivals. The last senior at UT to beat Bama was born in what, 1985? I'm just use to it now. Georgia would be my pick. I don't even dislike Kirby but they'll be who we'll have to go thru for the foreseeable future.

My biggest rivals are simple……total hatred

Mu**ay State
Florida

With the Peay going to the ASUN……new team is up in the air…….

Lane Kiffen
Jon Curry
Urban Mayer
Jim Cheney
Payton Manning (we never win a game with him in attendance)
Conzo Martin
Donny Tindall
Justin Whorley
Jaylen Herd

Peach bowl
Penn State
Mike Hamilton
Phil Fulmer
Dave Hart
Butch Jones
Jeremy Pruitt
Kiffin
Clemson
Sanford stadium
Fumbles
Charts
Mt Cody
Florida
Georgia
Chaney
1 page offenses
3-4 defenses
Sal Sunseri
Al Wilson comparisons
Coach K
Soft coverage
Contract extensions
Shoop will be elite
Vandy
Kentucky
Mark Stoops

In no particular order.
No Dooley?

Peach bowl
Penn State
Mike Hamilton
Phil Fulmer
Dave Hart
Butch Jones
Jeremy Pruitt
Kiffin
Clemson
Sanford stadium
Fumbles
Charts
Mt Cody
Florida
Georgia
Chaney
1 page offenses
3-4 defenses
Sal Sunseri
Al Wilson comparisons
Coach K
Soft coverage
Contract extensions
Shoop will be elite
Vandy
Kentucky
Mark Stoops

In no particular order.
No Music City Bowl after being screwed twice?

VN Store

Back