White's Stated Approach to Hiring HC

SNAFU

“The last few coaching searches I’ve done at UCF, there was that list of 1,2, 3, 4, 5, everybody’s debating who it should be, and the people we hired weren’t even on that list,” White said. “I’m not paying attention to that list. If I am, then I don’t know why you even hire me. Might as well go look at the list and start calling ’em up and see who wants to do it.”

White said Friday that no one has been eliminated from consideration yet, the search will be expansive and he’ll “turn over every stone.”

Met with groups of players this past Friday-
White’s message to player representatives in Friday’s meeting was simple- Let’s work together to do the things players think are going to turn this team around.
“That’s helped me in every search that I’ve led and been a part of, and I think it’s been a big part of why the vast majority, if not all of those searches, have led to a better than expected first year.”

When the search firm spoke with White about the possibility of Tennessee, he expressed a realization to them early on.
“I can win a national championship here,” White said. "White won’t be hiring a coach who can improve the program from a difficult position and be a bridge to the next coach. He’ll be hiring a coach he believes can win a national title at Tennessee."- David Ubben

Great points! Thanks for sharing! White is a "coach whisperer" with a perfect record of hiring coaches. Fans can really relax and let this guy work his magic. On the other side of the coin I get why everyone is so frenetic about this search. BVS. We all have nightmares if Dooley being hired with a losing record at La Tech!!!. I believe this time it is really going to be different. White is a superstar among superstars.

When the search firm spoke with White about the possibility of Tennessee, he expressed a realization to them early on.
“I can win a national championship here,” White said. "White won’t be hiring a coach who can improve the program from a difficult position and be a bridge to the next coach. He’ll be hiring a coach he believes can win a national title at Tennessee."- David Ubben

Occasionally, a Coach O finds lightning in a bottle but the coaches that can win a national title are few and far between.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
In my humble opinion, I think it will be Fleck. If you watch those guys from Minnesota, they would run through a wall for him. He’s a motivator and a real leader. Went 11-2 in 2019....beat penn state and auburn in their bowl game.....finished #10 in the polls. I believe he has what it takes to win big. Again....just my humble opinion.

We've all heard the speech.

Actions speak louder than words.

Sounds like we're getting another coordinator as a Head Coach.

Well played. Well played.

Yeah, you are with most fans. No honeymoon stage over here. We've seen it all these past 10 years. Put up or shut up. I don't care about being buttered up.

“That’s helped me in every search that I’ve led and been a part of, and I think it’s been a big part of why the vast majority, if not all of those searches, have led to a better than expected first year.”

Dr. Danny.......what about the second, third, fourth years and beyond?????

In my humble opinion, I think it will be Fleck. If you watch those guys from Minnesota, they would run through a wall for him. He’s a motivator and a real leader. Went 11-2 in 2019....beat penn state and auburn in their bowl game.....finished #10 in the polls. I believe he has what it takes to win big. Again....just my humble opinion.
I don't know if he is on the list though....LOL

My guess is that our new HC will be on one of our lists. Our lists are so long and exhaustive that we've included just about every single rational candidate.

Reactions: VolNExile
I have read every post in this thread, all seemed in some way to be negative. At this point I have no preconceived opinion. I am going to go by the "silence is golden" approach until,,, well just until!

Reactions: Ratvol and Tallman
“The last few coaching searches I’ve done at UCF, there was that list of 1,2, 3, 4, 5, everybody’s debating who it should be, and the people we hired weren’t even on that list,” White said. “I’m not paying attention to that list. If I am, then I don’t know why you even hire me. Might as well go look at the list and start calling ’em up and see who wants to do it.”

White said Friday that no one has been eliminated from consideration yet, the search will be expansive and he’ll “turn over every stone.”

White’s message to player representatives in Friday’s meeting was simple- Let’s work together to do the things players think are going to turn this team around.

I like the optimism but how realistic is that? A handful of people in the country could do it and they’re not coming. I know they don’t intend on hiring a “bridge” coach but I don’t see any other way to get back into serious contention for the NC. I hope I’m wrong though.

Fleck wouldn’t be a bad hire. He’s done well at MN.

We've all heard the speech.

Actions speak louder than words.

Sounds like we're getting another coordinator as a Head Coach.

Well played. Well played.
Please source which AD in the past has made that "We have all heard the Speech" You have heard it from fans but not from ADs....

Reactions: VolNExile
Would be nice to "Contend" for a SEC title for a change. Can't go straight from the outhouse to the penthouse. Will take a few years due to the ditch (more like cavern) Coach Bubba Gump got us in. GO VOLS!

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol

EXACTLY this is why he was hired and no one from VN board was! He's is a top 4 AD in the country, so I think he knows what he's doing. Look at all of his hires so far and you will see this!

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
My guess is that our new HC will be on one of our lists. Our lists are so long and exhaustive that we've included just about every single rational candidate.
who isn't on our list....and if he hires someone off our list....then it will be :"Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner"

The results of this hire means the Admin, Boosters, and others know that they have got to throw the Kitchen sink at this program. It is an indicator that the Old Guard inside the organization is going away. No More kick the can down the road.....It is a house cleaning....old school and the operation of is gone.

Reactions: hillsborovol

VN Store

Back