Whisky, bourbon or scotch and what's your favorite?

Would it be taboo to mix Diet Coke and something like makers? Going to cut back on the beers this season

I say you do you. If you're going to mix with diet coke, might as well go with something like Evan Williams.

Have you tried to drink Maker's Mark neat, though? A cube of ice will tone it down a bit, if necessary. Also, if you like a sweeter wheated bourbon (like Maker's), give Larceny a try.

I'll throw out another low-cal option: Crown Royal Peach in unsweet tea. Surprisingly good.

Reactions: Big Gucci Sosa
Cutting back on the cals/carbs. Beers I drink probably average 3-400 a beer.

For somebody that seems to appreciate the finer points of beer, if you're switching to whiskies you gotta go neat... unless it's a single malt that benefits from two or three drops of water to open it up. If you're mixing it you're drinking for the alcohol, in which case you can go cheaper and it won't make much difference. But you can find every bit as much enjoyment in drinking for the finer points of the whisky as you do with beer, if not more.

Unadulterated, baby! Only way to go.

Reactions: goldenvol
For somebody that seems to appreciate the finer points of beer, if you're switching to whiskies you gotta go neat... unless it's a single malt that benefits from two or three drops of water to open it up. If you're mixing it you're drinking for the alcohol, in which case you can go cheaper and it won't make much difference. But you can find every bit as much enjoyment in drinking for the finer points of the whisky as you do with beer, if not more.

Unadulterated, baby! Only way to go.
Im drinking to get a buzz while watching the game

I live up north. Apparently nobody here likes Islay whiskies

giphy.gif

I try to keep it simple for personal consumption. Tennessee all the way...Daniels or Dickel.

However, if someone wants me to try any whiskey, bourbon, or scotch; I will not turn it down.

Absolutely not. Makers is not some high-end bourbon. I like drinking Woodford and Coke personally. Just don't mix anything rare/expensive - drink it neat.
Ever tried heaven hill or jeffers creek? Much cheaper than the other two and very good. I'll drink jeffers creek neat, compared to weller for around 20 a bottle.

Absolutely not. Makers is not some high-end bourbon. I like drinking Woodford and Coke personally. Just don't mix anything rare/expensive - drink it neat.
I like turkey 101 or makers and coke myself but there are others like woodford i prefer neat. Its whatever you like.

If any of y'all are interested and in the Knoxville area, my restaurant KTown Tavern, is running a whiskey special until the ~25 whiskeys are sold out. $4 if you pick, $3 if you let us pick for you. Includes whiskeys from $6/shot to $19/shot. As far as I know, we've only finished 1 bottle off of the original list and actually added 2 more to it this week.

Im drinking to get a buzz while watching the game

As valid of a reason to enjoy bourbon as any other. If you're going to be mixing bourbons with cola, it is not taboo at all to go for wheated bourbon like Makers Mark. Evan Williams has been called out as a good bourbon to mix with. I can also highly recommend the Jim Beam Bottled in Bond for mixing. Bourbons with a bit of rye content can provide a nice amount of spice and bite when mixed with cola. Another great thing about bourbon is that cheap or inexpensive bourbon does not equal a bad bourbon. Far from it, there's lots of value to be found with brands like Evan Williams black, Four Roses, or Buffalo Trace.

As others have mentioned, if you can appreciate the complexities of craft beer, you'll appreciate bourbon. I started mixing cheap bourbons in college with cola, and now I drink my bourbon on the rocks or neat. You'll want to enjoy aged and barrel proof bourbons without mixing anything, preferably neat. For me, it's so much nicer watching games and sipping on a beverage, as opposed to drinking beer which leaves me bloated and running to the bathroom.

Just bought a bottle of Balvenie Caribbean Cask. I’ve never really explored Scotch too much, so I figured I’d venture out a bit.

It was between that an a Port Cask bottle of Arran.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back