while this game is exciting what does a loss do for the program moving forward?

A loss would hurt the momentum we have going into the 4 game stretch. Bama, Bye, UK & UGA. If we come through with a win and no major injuries. I see this team pressing forward to an 8 win season. A loss would mean probable 6&6 which is what I predicted pre-season.
We’ll beat Kentucky no matter what happens Saturday

It seems that fans are hoping for 7 wins. That most likely translates to a victory over Miss or KY. A bowl game, to me, is a big win for JH's first year, so, no there would be no big let down. We can book 6 wins.

However, I think we get the W Saturday night. The Gruden distraction will affect LK. I think they're related some how.

How does Gruden' resignation from the Raider's affect Kiffin?

Keep the train in the station - this is another game in a surprisingly fun 1st season for a Tennessee coach rebuilding the team.
I would not make long-term judgements or draw permanent conclusions from any of these games, other than a loss to a group-of-5 school or Vandy.
Enjoy the fact that we have a relatively big night game in Neyland to anticipate and enjoy this week.

We just need to keep playing like we have been. Stay competitive in all the games. Keep showing the fight and grit we have so far. And keep showing improvement like we have. We are going to win and lose but there are a boatload of reasons to be optimistic. We have finally gotten a coach and a staff that knows how to get the best out of the players they have. We are going to get better players going forward and we will continue to improve as a team. Our bright future appears to be on our doorstep. Finally… after 20 years of incompetence.
This 100%

There is a big difference between these two things:

#1. A loss where we commit copious turnovers, fail to wrap up tackles, blow assignments, get called for stupid penalties, have no fight, and have poor playcalling.

#2. A loss where we execute well, play complementary football, fight for 60 minutes, and have a well prepared gameplan, and get beat simply because we don't have the same level of talent or depth as the other team.

I don't like to lose.

However, at this point in the Heupel tenure, I can accept a loss that falls under #2. However, none of us would be happy to see a loss that falls under #1.

I said in the beginning of the year we lose to someone we shouldn’t, and beat someone we shouldn’t.
So far the loss to Pitt shouldn’t have happened. If we beat Ole Miss or Kentucky, and obviously Bama or Whoregia we will have beat someone we shouldn’t.

As long as we are competitive and play until the end, and there is no reason to think we won’t do either, then we are right where we should be and we still feel like Huepel is the right guy.
we have beat 4 terrible teams. We have lost to one OK team that we should have beat, and we lost to a OK Florida team.

It’s Year 1, depleted depth and the first year for any of the players we have to get any real coaching..

Not at all. Not at this point.

Tennessee is not on the same level as Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Clemson and Notre Dame.
We do not have the four & five star talent stocked up like those programs currently do.

We may not be as good as an Ole Miss, Auburn, Kentucky or teams like Michigan State, Wisconsin, Arizona State or North Carolina, just as examples.
But their rosters are not so far beyond Tennessee's in elite talent. That's what I meant.

We are facing a MUCH better QB this week than the last two weeks the best QB we have faced up to this point was Pickett and he had pretty good success against us. The defense must play well this week.

This game should be a classic and I think we can win but what if we don't? Does it further damage us fans and does program apathy set in deeper?

The Battered Vol Syndrome is strong with this one.

Geez. It makes the Vols 4-3 heading into Alabama. That's all it does. Players have to have a short memory win or lose and move on to the next game.

This game should be a classic and I think we can win but what if we don't? Does it further damage us fans and does program apathy set in deeper?
For you it does - for the rest of the fans - remarkable we are competitive with the top 15 teams in the nation. We are way ahead of schedule win or lose. He beats Ole Miss and Ky and he is coach of the year.
Do you remember how bad we were last year ?

Reactions: Devo182
Uhhh NO.

Everyone said all offseason a bowl game would be huge and we have that IN THE BAG. We should be proud and happy regardless of the next 4 games. We're decimated and we have 4 top-15 teams down the barrel. No shame, we've taken care of business we had to.

As long as we play well, it means nothing…year one with a new coaching staff who took over a dumpster fire we just want to see progress.

Tennessee is not on the same level as ole miss. This is not a game we should win. It's important to keep that in perspective
What level is that God awful defense of theirs??? Our Defense is light years ahead of theirs, we'll see about the offense

VN Store

Back