while this game is exciting what does a loss do for the program moving forward?

Where is everyone getting 71 scholarship players? UT is showing 80. More importantly in what game does a team use over 70 players? I may be wrong but I think you can only take 70 players if youre a road team in an SEC game. Even in a blowout you would have to play 4th stringers to play over 70 players. Didnt Hooker play the whole game vs S Car? How many plays was Cade Mays on the bench in our hurry up offense? I could see if we had 25 starters out where an occasional 4th teamer may make a play. We have at least 20 scholarship players that never see the field. The NFL plays games with 53 players. It's hard to believe that 4th stringers make the difference in a W or L. Here is our depth chart for Saturday's game. Barring injuries many of these will not see the field. So who are these 4th stringers that will make the difference?

I am too lazy to count, but I don't see 80 on there. Especially with you have people like Velus Jones listed in multiple positions.

How bad does it hurt us? The real question is how bad does a loss hurt Ole Miss. They are in the second year with the second coming as HC and a top 5 draft pick as QB. Sure it's a road game, but a loss to unranked, rebuilding, first year coaching program Tennessee will be a huge hit to Ole Miss and Kiffin. For us, it's an unranked team losing to a team on the verge of the top 10......kinda what you expect.

I do think Saturday is a winnable game. If this turns into anything other than a shootout, Tennessee wins. If it's a repeat of their game last week....it's up for grabs. If Tennessee's defense can slow down Corral.....we could be in for a way better season than expected, because that kid is for real, probably the best QB in the SEC if not the nation. If we don't get burned a few times, I would be very, very surprised. But, we've shown some fire ourselves....honestly, it's just going to be fun to watch.

Reactions: Behr
It's all about how we play, some folks make something about of everything. Another goofy thread, of course we want to win. This team fights, as long as they fight and play hard they don't lose nothing. Having said that, we have a shot here but it will take a good game from the VOLS to win!!! GBO!

I am too lazy to count, but I don't see 80 on there. Especially with you have people like Velus Jones listed in multiple positions.
That was my point. We have over 20 scholarship players that we arent using. They didnt make the depth chart and are not expected to play. The depth chart is not all of our scholarship players. We have 4 star receivers like Walker Merrill and Kaemen Marley that could play if needed but I'm thinking Coach Heupel plans on redshirting them. I'm guessing he may redshirt over 20.

Last edited:
Someone loses and someone wins. It is why we play the game. A loss will for sure bring out the negavols in full force. It's year 1 and we slaughtered teams we should always beat, heading the right direction.

How bad does it hurt us? The real question is how bad does a loss hurt Ole Miss. They are in the second year with the second coming as HC and a top 5 draft pick as QB. Sure it's a road game, but a loss to unranked, rebuilding, first year coaching program Tennessee will be a huge hit to Ole Miss and Kiffin. For us, it's an unranked team losing to a team on the verge of the top 10......kinda what you expect.

I do think Saturday is a winnable game. If this turns into anything other than a shootout, Tennessee wins. If it's a repeat of their game last week....it's up for grabs. If Tennessee's defense can slow down Corral.....we could be in for a way better season than expected, because that kid is for real, probably the best QB in the SEC if not the nation. If we don't get burned a few times, I would be very, very surprised. But, we've shown some fire ourselves....honestly, it's just going to be fun to watch.
Spot on analysis. The premise of this thread is a little goofy.

Reactions: Behr
That was my point. We have over 20 scholarship players that we arent using. They didnt make the depth chart and are not expected to play. The depth chart is not all of our scholarship players. We have 4 star linemen like Walker Merrill and Kaemen Marley that could play if needed but I'm thinking Coach Heupel plans on redshirting them. I'm guessing he may redshirt over 20.

He might redshirt a few. We have 71 scholarship players and 7 super seniors currently that don't count against the total.

Where is everyone getting 71 scholarship players? UT is showing 80. More importantly in what game does a team use over 70 players? I may be wrong but I think you can only take 70 players if youre a road team in an SEC game. Even in a blowout you would have to play 4th stringers to play over 70 players. Didnt Hooker play the whole game vs S Car? How many plays was Cade Mays on the bench in our hurry up offense? I could see if we had 25 starters out where an occasional 4th teamer may make a play. We have at least 20 scholarship players that never see the field. The NFL plays games with 53 players. It's hard to believe that 4th stringers make the difference in a W or L. Here is our depth chart for Saturday's game. Barring injuries many of these will not see the field. So who are these 4th stringers that will make the difference?

Well, That is what I had read here before and on TV, sooo, what is the actual number?

Well, there is the development topic, walk-ons, but I will let my fellow Vol Fans correct me or you on this, thanks for the information.

He might redshirt a few. We have 71 scholarship players and 7 super seniors currently that don't count against the total.
So they are still on scholarship are they not? So you show 78 scholarship players? My point was that 4th stringers have little to do with wins or losses. Most dont even see the field and redshirt.

This game should be a classic and I think we can win but what if we don't? Does it further damage us fans and does program apathy set in deeper?
I
If we lose we have no choice but to start at a minimum six FIRE JOSH HEUPEL threads. If we win of course we have to start at least six threads discussing how much we have to pay him to keep Oklahoma from taking him mid-season.

Well, there is the development topic, walk-ons, but I will let my fellow Vol Fans correct me or you on this, thanks for the information.
GABTV says we have 71 scholarship players and 7 more super seniors on scholarship (but they dont count against our total). So that's 78 players. Another person says we have 9 super seniors. But we have plenty of players and the 4th stringers will not affect wins and losses. Regardless I will be there Saturday night to show my support as we need everyone we can get to impress future recruits. GBO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: FlyFishnVol
GABTV says we have 71 scholarship players and 7 more super seniors on scholarship (but they dont count against our total). So that's 78 players. Another person says we have 9 super seniors. But we have plenty of players and the 4th stringers will not affect wins and losses. Regardless I will be there Saturday night to show my support as we need everyone we can get to impress future recruits. GBO!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is challenging to figure out all this roster stuff, but I am like you, GBO!

Reactions: stillavol
I
If we lose we have no choice but to start at a minimum six FIRE JOSH HEUPEL threads. If we win of course we have to start at least six threads discussing how much we have to pay him to keep Oklahoma from taking him mid-season.

and your point? 😉

Last edited:
It is challenging to figure out all this roster stuff, but I am like you, GBO!
Amen to that! Isnt it nice to have a coach that you don't have to worry about Ga St? I love the fast pace offense after years of Fulmer ball. I love that our players aren't quitting! We can't win every game right now but as long as we give the effort let's support our team! GBO!

This game should be a classic and I think we can win but what if we don't? Does it further damage us fans and does program apathy set in deeper?
We should be ecstatic that one year removed from Pruitt meanwhile facing sanctions that we are very likely going yo reach 6 wins and go bowling. Ole Miss is nothing but a cherry on top and cause for greater hopes.

So they are still on scholarship are they not? So you show 78 scholarship players? My point was that 4th stringers have little to do with wins or losses. Most dont even see the field and redshirt.

I think the biggest problem is that the other scholarships would be used for better players. We had a bunch of starters and 2nd string transfer out. So 2nd string is now starting and 3rd string is coming in when we get gassed or injured. Domino effect.

I don't care how much Big Orange Kool-aid has been swirling around this board over the last 2+ weeks, they've not yet rebuilt the program in the last two games.

It took more than 15 years to create the mess we've endured, so a few good wins isn't going to bring about a magic fix---meaning, I wouldn't read too much into a loss (if they do lose this upcoming Saturday).

The Vols have just started the climb. Let's focus on "all four quarters" of this latest attempt at a rebuild and not just "one series."

I agree, particularly with the ncaa investigation still out there.

On the other hand, Josh won a NC in year 2 of Bob Stoops tenure. Oklahoma had been a mess - current Vol level for 4 years, and not at expected level for the whole decade prior to Stoops.

So, Josh hasn't just seen it happen, he played a major part of making it happen. It is harder now, I think, but he's still one of the very few guys who have ever done it.

Reactions: knoxvol16
No no no! You can’t erase the last two games with a loss even a bad one. We have seen the proof of improvement and the plan for success. the Hype Vols are fun to watch. The Vols havent been fun to watch since 2001. Yes 2001. Fulmer ball was not fun to watch most of the time. Hype ball is fun just like coach says.
2001 is a stretch. I started watching heavily around 2005 and '06, '07, '09, '15, and '16 were all fun to watch to some extent.

VN Store

Back