Which WRs will lead us in receiving yards...

this year? I think it'll be interesting to look back on this one at the end of the year. Those of you that had Gibbs starting and being WR1, we'll let you guess again :).

I'm going with Palmer, Keyton, Beckwith, Johnson as our top 4 followed by Jones, Hyatt, Tillman and Wideman.

It's going to be a physical year playing 10 SEC games, we are going to be ultra conservative on offense and I think the bigger, stronger physical type guys will get the majority of the snaps. I'm a big fan of Hyatt and Wideman and am curious to see how they match up with the physical corners they'll match up against. Beckwith is going to be bigger than every corner and safety he matches up with so I just don't see him struggling as much physically. I think this group of Freshmen WRs are going to be a problem for teams the next few seasons. We're going to have to be able to run the football this year and downfield blocking is going to play a big part of that, another factor I think favors the bigger players getting more minutes.

What we have here is a near glut of offensive firepower; one that'll give opposing DCs nightmares, and CJC more than enough tools to implement UT's ability to cross the goal line with ease.
OP. Each of your above-mentioned athletes has the ability, attitude, and competition aptitude to start for any P5 team (although there's always a washout or two in the mix).
BTW. For those who were interested: My successsuccessf

What we have here is a near glut of offensive firepower; one that'll give opposing DCs nightmares, and CJC more than enough tools to implement UT's ability to cross the goal line with ease.
OP. Each of your above-mentioned athletes has the ability, attitude, and competition aptitude to start for any P5 team (although there's always a washout or two in the mix).
BTW. For those who were interested: My successsuccessf
Walker Merrill will lead in receptions and Td’s.... oops that’s 2021.

BTW. For those who were interested: My heart transplant was......
......successful ... done on May 17th. Some very perilous infections kept me up there @ Duke ... mainly in ICU
... until just two weeks ago. Has anything happened this summer?
My Christian faith, repetion of key scriptures (Psalm 23, John 14:1-7, etc.), propelled me through it and, without a doubt, the litany of prayers which were desperately needed. Thanks for yours, my brothers & sisters in Christ .......... & in orange.

Keyton 41 550 yds 3 tds
Palmer 35 cs 400 yds 3 tds
Calloway 33 370 yds 1 td
Hyatt 30 rec 500 yds 4 tds
Wideman 20 rec 320 yds 5 tds
Johnson 15 rec 130 yds 1 td
Beckwith 12 rec 150 yds 2 tds
Jones 9 rec 70 yds
Tillman 8 rec 60 yds 1 td
20 TDs in 10 games, that is more than in 13 games last year.
Who is going to throw them?

We need Palmer to average more than 3.5 catches per game. IMO He needs to be getting targeted 10-12 times a game with a couple of home run shots .
Palmer will shine at the next level.
While here, the ball will be spread out more. He will also have a better QB to help him put up better numbers

I can just tell you ... give me Wideman on the field ... if I need a first down or a TD ... and throw him the ball!
He is big, athletic with strong hands AND he can out jump everybody ... on every team.
The only thing preventing him from getting the most red zone opportunities this season is getting banged up.

The big 4/TE will be:

J. Palmer
B. Johnson
V. Jones
J. Hyatt
A. Pope

Hyatt is having an amazing fall camp. Johnson, Keyton, and Palmer all dependable WRs that will move the chains in good chunks. Velus Jones is chiseled and athletic and I think he will be a great slot receiver. With a greatly improved OL, Pope should be able to keep defenses off guard with an occasional reception as well. Wouldn't be surprised to see Beckwith get some playing time at TE too.
I thought Pope was gonna be out for this season. Didn’t he have a leg injury of some sort?

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
......successful ... done on May 17th. Some very perilous infections kept me up there @ Duke ... mainly in ICU
... until just two weeks ago. Has anything happened this summer?
My Christian faith, repetion of key scriptures (Psalm 23, John 14:1-7, etc.), propelled me through it and, without a doubt, the litany of prayers which were desperately needed. Thanks for yours, my brothers & sisters in Christ .......... & in orange.

Wish I could give you 100 likes.

Reactions: whodeycin85
this year? I think it'll be interesting to look back on this one at the end of the year. Those of you that had Gibbs starting and being WR1, we'll let you guess again :).

I'm going with Palmer, Keyton, Beckwith, Johnson as our top 4 followed by Jones, Hyatt, Tillman and Wideman.

It's going to be a physical year playing 10 SEC games, we are going to be ultra conservative on offense and I think the bigger, stronger physical type guys will get the majority of the snaps. I'm a big fan of Hyatt and Wideman and am curious to see how they match up with the physical corners they'll match up against. Beckwith is going to be bigger than every corner and safety he matches up with so I just don't see him struggling as much physically. I think this group of Freshmen WRs are going to be a problem for teams the next few seasons. We're going to have to be able to run the football this year and downfield blocking is going to play a big part of that, another factor I think favors the bigger players getting more minutes.

Palmer, Hyatt, Jones and Keyton. Palmer is reliable, the other 3 are speedsters, Pruitt's transition continues.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
In my opinion, Palmer, Johnson, Jones, Keyton, and Hyatt will be the primaries

Tillman, Holiday, and Wideman will be other contributors

Calloway could find his way on ST with a possible redshirt. I'm not as sold on Beckwith playing a huge role this season yet. I know his size provides matchup problems, but he's a bit too much of a "tweener" right now. Not stout enough to hold his own yet in the "c" blocking area, and not super fast. With that said, he is a viable option for wildcat. For him to be a consistent contributor this season, he's going to have to find a niche or specialty this year. Before I'm criticized, I do believe Beckwith is gonna be a great player here eventually.

Last edited:

Calloway could find his way on ST with a possible redshirt. I'm not as sold on Beckwith playing a huge role this season yet. I know his size provides matchup problems, but he's a bit too much of a "tweener" right now. Not stout enough to hold his own yet in the "c" blocking area, and not real fast. With that said, he is a viable option for wildcat. For him to be a consistent contributor this season, he's going to have to find a niche or specialty this year. Before I'm criticized, I do believe Beckwith is gonna be a great player here eventually.
He has 4.5 speed, laser timed, clocked multiple times. Beckwith is not slow. Size and speed are everything in this league, he's got both.

Calloway could find his way on ST with a possible redshirt. I'm not as sold on Beckwith playing a huge role this season yet. I know his size provides matchup problems, but he's a bit too much of a "tweener" right now. Not stout enough to hold his own yet in the "c" blocking area, and not real fast. With that said, he is a viable option for wildcat. For him to be a consistent contributor this season, he's going to have to find a niche or specialty this year. Before I'm criticized, I do believe Beckwith is gonna be a great player here eventually.
It's easy to go with the veteran guys as being the ones that will be primary.
But Hyatt is no regular freshman because of his advanced route running understanding of the position and his elite speed.
Wideman is probably the most physically talented freshman wr in the SEC. Those two thoroughbreds you dont sideline.

Velus Jones or Brandon Johnson have not shown themselves to be consistent, dependable WRs in 4 years of playing college ball . Why would that change?

It's easy to go with the veteran guys as being the ones that will be primary.
But Hyatt is no regular freshman because of his advanced route running understanding of the position and his elite speed.
Wideman is probably the most physically talented freshman wr in the SEC. Those two thoroughbreds you dont sideline.

Velus Jones or Brandon Johnson have not shown themselves to be consistent, dependable WRs in 4 years of playing college ball . Why would that change?

I dont know that I'd call Keyton or Hyatt veteran guys. (Not sure you're saying that, but they're on my list of primaries)...Brandon Johnson led our team in receiving yards as a sophomore on a team with Jennings, Palmer, Callaway, and Wolf, so I'm also not sure I'd call him inconsistent. He was banged up all 2018, and elected to redshirt last season, which seemed like a great move for him and this years team. I actually expect nothing but consistency from him.

Last edited:
He has 4.5 speed, laser timed, clocked multiple times. Beckwith is not slow. Size and speed are everything in this league, he's got both.

Wasnt aware that Beckwith was timed that fast. That obviously would change my expectations for him this season. I thought his role would eventually be a 6-5 240 lb hybrid instead of an X receiver.

I can just tell you ... give me Wideman on the field ... if I need a first down or a TD ... and throw him the ball!
He is big, athletic with strong hands AND he can out jump everybody ... on every team.
The only thing preventing him from getting the most red zone opportunities this season is getting banged up.
Remember Matt Milton, and Jason Croom? They are both proof you should not preordain a wide out just because of their size. Milton who was 6-5 205 lbs , registered 1 catch for 12 yards his entire career at Ut. Croom was a mediocre reciever/tight end who was 6-5 245lbs. He ended up with 60 catches for 800 yards over 4 years. Croom would routinely get physically dominated by players he out weighed by 50 lbs. Hopefully Wideman pans out, but let’s not call him great before we see him on the field against other d1 players.

IF JG is still the QB then it will be a RB or the slot WR because he's the king of short passes and dump downs which bolster his pass comp %.

VN Store

Back