Which Women's Coaches Would Jump

Only one coach that would come that can right the ship. Jeff Walz. Best coach in womens basketball right now. Period.

I wouldn’t say that. Tara Vandeveer (who will obviously retire from Stanford) and Kim Mulkey are two of the best in my opinion. Kim in particular is just a born winner. Has won at every level at an extremely high level and develops players into unstoppable forces that still play within a team.

Best example for me is Odessy Simms. She was always talented, but if you go back and watch her transformation from her freshman and sophomore years to her senior year, it was unbieveable. She became a scoring phenom, rarely turned the ball over, and ran Kim’s offense to near perfection.

Jeff’s teams are always one dimensional, and I believe that is why he has not and will not win a National Championship. He always has a super star and everyone else is just out there to fill space. Occasionally he motivates the “others” to step up in big games, but often he’s just relying on everyone to get the ball to his designated star and hope they score 40. His best teams had one star, Angel, Shoni and now Asia.

He coached alongside Brenda Frese for some time and I actually truly believe she is a much better coach. Her teams are more dynamic and every single one of her players gets better if they stick with the program, not just the star.

Here are five people i would like Phil Fulmer to interview about the Tennessee head coaching job

Jeff Walz Louisville head coach
Kim Mulkey Baylor head Coach
Wes Moore NCSU head coach
Shea Ralph UConn assistant coach
Carol Owens Notre Dame associate head coach

I wouldn’t say that. Tara Vandeveer (who will obviously retire from Stanford) and Kim Mulkey are two of the best in my opinion. Kim in particular is just a born winner. Has won at every level at an extremely high level and develops players into unstoppable forces that still play within a team.

Best example for me is Odessy Simms. She was always talented, but if you go back and watch her transformation from her freshman and sophomore years to her senior year, it was unbieveable. She became a scoring phenom, rarely turned the ball over, and ran Kim’s offense to near perfection.

Jeff’s teams are always one dimensional, and I believe that is why he has not and will not win a National Championship. He always has a super star and everyone else is just out there to fill space. Occasionally he motivates the “others” to step up in big games, but often he’s just relying on everyone to get the ball to his designated star and hope they score 40. His best teams had one star, Angel, Shoni and now Asia.

He coached alongside Brenda Frese for some time and I actually truly believe she is a much better coach. Her teams are more dynamic and every single one of her players gets better if they stick with the program, not just the star.

Obviously you are just a normal fan.......

Hypothetically, what do you all think about the possibility of getting rid of both Holly and Dean but keeping the rest of the coaching staff? Bridget Gordon has HC potential in my opinion, she seems like a strong leader and isn’t afraid to discipline a little bit. Sharona seems to be an excellent recruiter....and then my wild card.

Move Nikki Anosike up to a real coaching position and put her in charge of the post players. I think she’s maybe one of the best leaders to ever come out of the program. She’s intelligent and driven and would be a great example. I also feel she has some of that Pat toughness. That “you can’t say can’t to me” attitude that is missing from the current leadership.

Just daydreaming about anyone BUT Holly at this point and feeling pretty disenfranchised with Dean as well. He’s responsible for the post players and the last 3-4 years they’re our weakest link. He seems to have a “hell if I know” look and shrugged shoulders on the bench just as much as Holly.

Only one of the programs associated with the coaches below hasn't made a final four in the past decade. Guess who!

image.jpeg

Hypothetically, what do you all think about the possibility of getting rid of both Holly and Dean but keeping the rest of the coaching staff? Bridget Gordon has HC potential in my opinion, she seems like a strong leader and isn’t afraid to discipline a little bit. Sharona seems to be an excellent recruiter....and then my wild card.

Move Nikki Anosike up to a real coaching position and put her in charge of the post players. I think she’s maybe one of the best leaders to ever come out of the program. She’s intelligent and driven and would be a great example. I also feel she has some of that Pat toughness. That “you can’t say can’t to me” attitude that is missing from the current leadership.

Just daydreaming about anyone BUT Holly at this point and feeling pretty disenfranchised with Dean as well. He’s responsible for the post players and the last 3-4 years they’re our weakest link. He seems to have a “hell if I know” look and shrugged shoulders on the bench just as much as Holly.

I like Bridget Gordon she would be my first in house pick. Bridget Gordon is not afraid to get in any player face and that was on display last grilled Collins on the sideline at halftime.

Not so sure any top tier coach would want to put up with some of our fans. But, I can't think of any successful Top 25 coach who frequently appears in the top 15-top 10 who might want it. I don't know.
Why do you say that? Rick Barnes says we are the best.

I would consider Hillsman from Syracuse, he has done a great job in building that program, with much less talent than what Holly has had to work with. In any case, we need a proven coach with the ability to stabilize a program loaded with talent. What we don't need is another experiment, we have had that with Holly.

Not so sure any top tier coach would want to put up with some of our fans. But, I can't think of any successful Top 25 coach who frequently appears in the top 15-top 10 who might want it. I don't know.

That is the nature of the beast when you coach at a storied program, fan expectations are high. Wait until Geno, Mulkey, or any other coach retires from a top ten program, you will see the same type of reactions that Holly is getting if the program continues to sign top ten talent but keeps falling short. If a coach does not have thick skin, then he, or she, had best stay away form a premier program. It happens in every top ten program no matter if it is men or women.

Lets see. Last 66 games he is 61-5 with one player( I am gonna use your example). We need "one of those players" dont you think. Imagine what he could do with all our All Americans?

We are ranked ? with all those All Americans? He is ranked what with his " one player"? Top 5 all year. 3 rd this week. You are smoking some fine Rocky Top Weed my friend, now sit down.

Lets see. Last 66 games he is 61-5 with one player( I am gonna use your example). We need "one of those players" dont you think. Imagine what he could do with all our All Americans?

We are ranked ? with all those All Americans? He is ranked what with his " one player"? Top 5 all year. 3 rd this week. You are smoking some fine Rocky Top Weed my friend, now sit down.

At what point did I compare his success to our program? He is quite clearly a better coach than Holly. I simply don’t think he’s that special.

He has had a lot of success, but he has been to three final fours in a dozen seasons at Louisville. The goal here is to get back to a perennial final four team. His track record doesn’t do it for me, even with all the wins.

Each of his final fours corresponds to having one outstanding player.

I lost all respect for him last year when he openly disrespected another teams player on national television as well. Not the first time he’s had to shove a foot in his mouth either.

Reactions: BUBear
I lost all respect for him last year when he openly disrespected another teams player on national television as well. Not the first time he’s had to shove a foot in his mouth either.

Who did he disrespect? Are you talking about the incident with Muffet McGraw, because he said nothing about any of her players. She was the one who disrespected Asia.

Reactions: WVU05UT09
Here are five people i would like Phil Fulmer to interview about the Tennessee head coaching job

Jeff Walz Louisville head coach
Kim Mulkey Baylor head Coach
Wes Moore NCSU head coach
Shea Ralph UConn assistant coach
Carol Owens Notre Dame associate head coach
Why would Kim Mulkey leave Baylor? Let me answer that...she wouldn’t. I’m not interested in hiring anyone who isn’t a proven winner or comes from a great pedigree. I would definitely interview Shea Ralph, but Jeff Walz...what has he done?

Why would Kim Mulkey leave Baylor? Let me answer that...she wouldn’t. I’m not interested in hiring anyone who isn’t a proven winner or comes from a great pedigree. I would definitely interview Shea Ralph, but Jeff Walz...what has he done?

So would Kelly Jolly Harper fit the bill? She comes played for a great, was under Coach Wes Moore, has head coaching experience, but I think knowing how to connect this team to its what it means to be a LV would be a benefit. Not a must that the HC must be a LV but in some instance I think someone on the staff has to have that LV connection. People are saying Shaw Ralph because she has been around Geno but she hasn’t had head coaching experience and would she leave when Geno stepped down? I think another person down the road to look at is Alex Fuller she was the National Assistant Coach of the year and people just rave about her. But that comes later. I think Nicki A. would be a great coach down the line to work with post players.

Reactions: stlvolsfan
So would Kelly Jolly Harper fit the bill? She comes played for a great, was under Coach Wes Moore, has head coaching experience, but I think knowing how to connect this team to its what it means to be a LV would be a benefit. Not a must that the HC must be a LV but in some instance I think someone on the staff has to have that LV connection. People are saying Shaw Ralph because she has been around Geno but she hasn’t had head coaching experience and would she leave when Geno stepped down? I think another person down the road to look at is Alex Fuller she was the National Assistant Coach of the year and people just rave about her. But that comes later. I think Nicki A. would be a great coach down the line to work with post players.
I’d definitely want Kellie to get an interview

At what point did I compare his success to our program? He is quite clearly a better coach than Holly. I simply don’t think he’s that special.

He has had a lot of success, but he has been to three final fours in a dozen seasons at Louisville. The goal here is to get back to a perennial final four team. His track record doesn’t do it for me, even with all the wins.

Each of his final fours corresponds to having one outstanding player.

Final Four Teams last ten years:

Geno- 10
Muffy- 6
Tara- 5
Walz- 3
Tennessee -0

That solves your quest for enlightenment on "perennial final four" coaches who have gotten it done. Like I stated before, he is the best candidate, for reasons I gave such as he is just at the right age etc. The others are older and will retire at their perspective schools.

You are just flat lying about him disrespecting a player. I will give you he probably cursed the officials, but dear did you watch that game? They needed cursing. If this had been us playing you would have been cussing the refs yourself. At least he takes up for his team, which I am sure he would if he were here too. Lets home Ole Phil has more smarts than you.

Jeff Walz has went to 3 Final Fours

Reactions: OldNSlow
If Geno stepped down at UConn Associate Head Coach Chris Dailey would succeed him as UConn head coach

If Geno stepped down at UConn Associate Head Coach Chris Dailey would succeed him as UConn head coach
Proving that UConn has learned nothing from the Holly disaster of lifetime assistant rising to the throne. Or maybe they did learn, and Chris will be the designated "can't follow the legend" coach for a couple of disappointing transition seasons then they move on (NOT waiting 7 years) to the real next coach.

Also, if Chris is head coach, they'll need a replacement "hold me back Alice coach" who pretends to restrain the outraged head coach as he whines at the refs. Geno and Chris been doing that dance longer than Fred and Ginger on the silver screen. Hard to imagine Shea Ralph pretending to restrain Chris would be half as entertaining.

VN Store

Back