Which was worse?

Gaffney No-Catch or M.C.B. Robbery

• Total voters
Anything involving Florida will be much much worse in my eyes.

And there are still the same nerds saying we didn’t deserve to win anyway
nerd-ackchyually.gif

Gaffney and it's not even close. We can say what we want about Purdue and getting robbed but the facts are this we had every opportunity possible to put that game away on offense and we did not do so. The difference between Gaffney and Purdue is that one was in a hard fought game between 2 rivals the other was in a game where one team couldn't get out of it's own way and do what it was supposed to do and put the game away like it had most of the season.

Gaffney and it's not even close. We can say what we want about Purdue and getting robbed but the facts are this we had every opportunity possible to put that game away on offense and we did not do so. The difference between Gaffney and Purdue is that one was in a hard fought game between 2 rivals the other was in a game where one team couldn't get out of it's own way and do what it was supposed to do and put the game away like it had most of the season.
Same logic applies to UF game. We had what 3 FGs inside the 5?

Reactions: Southeastern VFL
Conference rival trumps bowl opponent

The calls themselves...I think last night was more blatant

It’s a stupid game to play. There isn’t a game in history where a team plays perfectly. Frequently, teams make tons of mistakes but still find ways to win. Bottom line is let the players determine the outcome of the game not the refs.

I think the fact that they "reviewed" the play makes it worse. I understand the UF being a rival element but refs essentially robbed CFB fans of what could've been the game of the year.
Yes.
This makes a mockery of the so called review process. SMDH!

True I will give you that BUT that Purdue team wouldn't come close to that Florida team. The difference between that Florida team and last nights Purdue team is this if we had played last night like we did all year then we would have won the game in the first half. Florida we could have played our greatest game ever and still lost to them because they were a really good football team. Yes I agree it's the same logic but 2 totally different football jmo.

Gaffney. The crew at the MCB was incompetent. Al Matthews was corrupt and biased (as well as incompetent)

It depends on what you mean by worse….getting screwed against FL is much worse than Purdue. …. But if you mean worse officiating, I’d say it’s a tie….. both were so bad

Both happened in the area I was sitting. Kinda like answering which was worse, your 1st open heart surgery or your 2nd. I will say the MCB, I was older and the memory more recent. I remember Spurrier saying "God smiled on the Gators", God stayed out of this one, he let the ACC officials do the dirty work.

Without a doubt, Al Mathews was corrupt.

I don't know if he was corrupt or not, but as a Vandy alum he was at a minimum biased to the point he should never have been allowed to officiate one of our games. The SEC seems to have come to that conclusion too. Look it up, but shortly after this season he was moved off the crew he was on to Rocky Goode's crew which meant he could not call anymore of our games. I refuse to believe that was an accident.

He had 3 significant judgement errors that day. Besides the game winner, he earlier at exactly the same pylon called a TD when a FL runner was contacted about the 3 or 4, landed on his knees (captured by sideline camera) upright just outside the 1 and then fell forward into the endzone. Neither of those would have been scores had replay been in place at that time. The third bad call was with seconds to go in the half we ran an out and our receiver toe tapped within inches of the sideline, and was contacted by a FL defender and Big AL made a wildly energetic call that he was down in bounds and the clock should keep running. All out there to see.

Florida is much worse, losing to Purdue is more pathetic and sad.

Edit- thought it was a chicken school

Last edited:
Based on officiating? The Purdue game. Not even close.

1. With Florida, you’re talking about one call. One.

2. They didn’t have replay for the Florida game.

3. No one has a clue what would have happened in the Florida game had they gotten the call right. Florida could have scored and won on the next play. Could have kicked a FG and gone into overtime. Who knows what happens?

I don't know if he was corrupt or not, but as a Vandy alum he was at a minimum biased to the point he should never have been allowed to officiate one of our games. The SEC seems to have come to that conclusion too. Look it up, but shortly after this season he was moved off the crew he was on to Rocky Goode's crew which meant he could not call anymore of our games. I refuse to believe that was an accident.

He had 3 significant judgement errors that day. Besides the game winner, he earlier at exactly the same pylon called a TD when a FL runner was contacted about the 3 or 4, landed on his knees (captured by sideline camera) upright just outside the 1 and then fell forward into the endzone. Neither of those would have been scores had replay been in place at that time. The third bad call was with seconds to go in the half we ran an out and our receiver toe tapped within inches of the sideline, and was contacted by a FL defender and Big AL made a wildly energetic call that he was down in bounds and the clock should keep running. All out there to see.

Add to it the blown KO return vs Memphis in ‘96.

this is easy.

One was a meaningless bowl game. the other was THE GAME that determined who would represent the East in the SEC Championship every year.

VN Store

Back