Which programs could be better?

Brian Bohannon runs the same option offense at Kennesaw State that Paul Johnson ran at Georgia Tech

There you go. He has been with PJ even back before GSU and Navy. It's what he knows. And it's why he is still at KSU after putting up the wins he has. Probably will be a Navy coach in waiting.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
There you go. He has been with PJ even back before GSU and Navy. It's what he knows. And it's why he is still at KSU after putting up the wins he has. Probably will be a Navy coach in waiting.
Army would be a possible place for him to go also

I’m 46 and Clemson wasn’t good when I was growing up lol. I was too young to remember their championship is 80 or whenever it was. I do have to say that the Clemson agricultural department has been great at doing things with our peach farmers etc. But I digress.

Clemson had some good runs under Danny Ford, but nothing consistent. And he had to bail out before he buried them. He was as crooked a recruiter as there was. and Arky thought he'd be magically innocent for them. They were very humble in the ensuing years. Tommy West was sporadic at best. Tommy Bowden really elevated the program but couldn't pull off what Dabo has.

Clemson had some good runs under Danny Ford, but nothing consistent. And he had to bail out before he buried them. He was as crooked a recruiter as there was. and Arky thought he'd be magically innocent for them. They were very humble in the ensuing years. Tommy West was sporadic at best. Tommy Bowden really elevated the program but couldn't pull off what Dabo has.
Charlie Pell was good at Clemson from 1976-1978

Reactions: SCRocket
Yep very true. Clemson and SC were awful when I was growing up. We would go to Tennessee twice a year for car shows. So I adopted Philip Fuller as my coach. I loved the way he talked if that makes sense. I saw integrity and the desire to win.

#4 class in the ACC. And big drop off to number 5
I think Coach Geoff Collins will get GT to where they will win 7-9 games and go bowling every season within the next few seasons. The problem is where that happens he could very well get hired away by another school who has a bigger wallet.

I think Coach Geoff Collins will get GT to where they will win 7-9 games and go bowling every season within the next few seasons. The problem is where that happens he could very well get hired away by another school who has a bigger wallet.
If they stay traditional and can thus bring in talent they can sustain. Imo.

Watching him right now on Packer and Durham... He very much reminds me of Butch. As in a whole Helluva lot. He’s in Packer’s studio and no BS has changed his outfit 3 times . Always dropping “The ATL” The 404, talking about the brand, Mercedes Benz stadium is .9 miles from campus, best city in the world, top 5 university in the country, Now having the discussion if GT the ”coolest“ school in the ACC, tying into Waffle House, UGA fans are going to kill this guy.

He may be a much better coach, but wow they are very similar in certain ways.

Watching him right now on Packer and Durham... He very much reminds me of Butch. As in a whole Helluva lot. He’s in Packer’s studio and no BS has changed his outfit 3 times . Always dropping “The ATL” The 404, talking about the brand, Mercedes Benz stadium is .9 miles from campus, best city in the world, top 5 university in the country, Now having the discussion if GT the ”coolest“ school in the ACC, tying into Waffle House, UGA fans are going to kill this guy.

lol - he really mentions that? Why would any recruit care about that? It isn't like they get to play in that stadium.

I agree he's a salesman(People talk about him having the best coaching staff around among other things) but he is a better coach than Butch and is probably the best recruiter Georgia Tech has had since Bobby Dodd.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
lol - he really mentions that? Why would any recruit care about that? It isn't like they get to play in that stadium.

Yeah he did. They were talking about playing games there and it was very Butch like “The greatest football stadium in the world is .9 miles from campus, why wouldn’t want to play a game there? We have recruiting dinners there showcasing the 404.” That’s nearly an exact quote .

He also changed clothes 2 more times since I commented .

Reactions: 05_never_again
Yeah he did. They were talking about playing games there and it was very Butch like “The greatest football stadium in the world is .9 miles from campus, why wouldn’t want to play a game there? We have recruiting dinners there showcasing the 404.” That’s nearly an exact quote .

maxresdefault.jpg

It isn't really an excuse for that level of cheesiness, but at least Collins is from Atlanta (Conyers technically) and was a GA/recruiting coordinator at Georgia Tech previously. He probably does legitimately like the area; it's home. You couldn't really say anything to excuse Butchy Boy.

A hat saying "404" in the style of the Waffle House logo, while sitting in a Waffle House...come on dude.

I thought they did have an agreement to play some games there.

Yup they do. Georgia Tech to Play Annual Game at Mercedes-Benz Stadium - Mercedes Benz Stadium

I think I heard Wake is doing the same thing with Notre Dame, but playing in Charlotte.
The ACC needs to tell Notre Dame to join the ACC in football or leave. The ACC I think will eventually add Notre Dame in football and they could invite UCF or West Virginia to make it 8 teams in the ACC Atlantic and Coastal Divisions.

The ACC needs to tell Notre Dame to join the ACC in football or leave. The ACC I think will eventually add Notre Dame in football and they could invite UCF or West Virginia to make it 8 teams in the ACC Atlantic and Coastal Divisions.

I can’t stand Notre Dame and their whole independent deal with football and NBC. The natural fit would be the B1G, but hopefully they’ll join the ACC. I don’t know who else the ACC would add to join along with Notre Dame unless they wanted to allow Navy to join for football only. Competitively I would love WVU and UCF to join, but I don’t think other ACC institutions would be too thrilled with the academics that WVU or UCF would bring or not bring to the conference. Not to mention the TV footprint would not be expanded by much at all. They should go after Vandy and the coveted Nashville market for all 10 Vandy fans.

I can’t stand Notre Dame and their whole independent deal with football and NBC. The natural fit would be the B1G, but hopefully they’ll join the ACC. I don’t know who else the ACC would add to join along with Notre Dame unless they wanted to allow Navy to join for football only. Competitively I would love WVU and UCF to join, but I don’t think other ACC institutions would be too thrilled with the academics that WVU or UCF would bring or not bring to the conference. Not to mention the TV footprint would not be expanded by much at all. They should go after Vandy and the coveted Nashville market for all 10 Vandy fans.
Trade Vanderbilt to the ACC for Virginia Tech:cool:

I think the key is their TV deal with NBC. They'll remain independent as long as NBC wants to keep re-signing that. Ultimately, I think the days of that arrangement are numbered. Demographics are not working in favor of Notre Dame. Remember, they rely a lot on national rather than regional appeal. The country as a whole is becoming less religious. A lot of that deal they used to have with many Catholics having "their team, then Notre Dame" is over. Despite their good brand and history, it isn't the easiest place to recruit to in the modern era. It's relatively small and hard to get some guys admitted because of the academics. There is talent in Ohio, but they have to compete with Ohio St and the rest of the Big Ten schools for it. Chicago is a major metro area that is within 2 hours, but Chicago isn't known for great high school football talent. They are in a position where they need to recruit nationally, but I don't think many southern or west coast kids want to go to South Bend, IN. Especially to play at a smaller, private Catholic school.

When that NBC deal runs out, they'll become a full-blown member of the ACC in football most likely.

I think the key is their TV deal with NBC. They'll remain independent as long as NBC wants to keep re-signing that. Ultimately, I think the days of that arrangement are numbered. Demographics are not working in favor of Notre Dame. Remember, they rely a lot on national rather than regional appeal. The country as a whole is becoming less religious. A lot of that deal they used to have with many Catholics having "their team, then Notre Dame" is over. Despite their good brand and history, it isn't the easiest place to recruit to in the modern era. It's relatively small and hard to get some guys admitted because of the academics. There is talent in Ohio, but they have to compete with Ohio St and the rest of the Big Ten schools for it. Chicago is a major metro area that is within 2 hours, but Chicago isn't known for great high school football talent. They are in a position where they need to recruit nationally, but I don't think many southern or west coast kids want to go to South Bend, IN. Especially to play at a smaller, private Catholic school.

When that NBC deal runs out, they'll become a full-blown member of the ACC in football most likely.

I can’t find the link, but I’m pretty the viewership on NBC for Notre Dame was way down this season. Although part of that probably had to do with a weak home schedule.

UCF joining the ACC would probably not sit well with FSU or Miami. Granted FSU has a strong enough program that UCF wouldn't be that big a threat, and nobody cares about Miami. It might hurt the Gators also.

I don't see a problem with that.

UVA is an interesting one, as is Georgia Tech. Especially Tech. Both are academically-focused institutions that aren't going to sell out their reputation to be really good at football. Having said that, Georgia Tech is located in the epicenter of the single-best metro area on the planet for CFB recruiting, and it does seem like they could be better at football if they wanted to. Hell, they even have a more recent national title than Georgia does. I don't think it's really part of the culture of the institution to be good at football.

I did my undergrad at Tech. Up until the mid 90s there were only two options as far as majors go-various engineering disciplines/sciences/archictorture or management. Roughly 20% of undergrads and virtually all athletes were management majors.

Management was viewed as the easiest major at the school by comparison-and it was no cakewalk. Now, I understand they have a few odd English majors or History majors but the point being you do not see a great deal of city planning or exercise sciences classes. No offense intended who majored in those disciplines in college.

Add in that the student population - at least when I was there was 80% male.

So to sum up-few easy classes with limited females around and you have a bad recipe for sustained athletic success.

Add in that yes the school is in Atlanta , but 90% of the local population there are puppy fans and not yellow jacket fans.

VN Store

Back