Which programs could be better?

I did my undergrad at Tech. Up until the mid 90s there were only two options as far as majors go-various engineering disciplines/sciences/archictorture or management. Roughly 20% of undergrads and virtually all athletes were management majors.

Management was viewed as the easiest major at the school by comparison-and it was no cakewalk. Now, I understand they have a few odd English majors or History majors but the point being you do not see a great deal of city planning or exercise sciences classes. No offense intended who majored in those disciplines in college.

Add in that the student population - at least when I was there was 80% male.

So to sum up-few easy classes with limited females around and you have a bad recipe for sustained athletic success.

Add in that yes the school is in Atlanta , but 90% of the local population there are puppy fans and not yellow jacket fans.
80% when you went there? Wow, that's staggering. According to the link below it's not as skewed today, but still male-heavy:

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/georgia-institute-of-technology-1569/student-life

It definitely seems like it just isn't part of the culture of the school to be good at sports, which is ironic given their location.

80% when you went there? Wow, that's staggering. According to the link below it's not as skewed today, but still male-heavy:

80% (roughly) was for the student population as a whole.

I had many engineering classes where out of twenty or so students, there might be one or at most two females.

In the management school there were more females % wise than in the engineering departments.

There used to be a joke version of the school song that began-

"I'm a Rambling Wreck from Georgia Tech what the hell am I doing here?
The ratio is four to one and half of them are queer"

I find it absolutely astonishing that, despite being an inaugural member of the Big Ten boasting two Heisman winners and decent success for periods in most decades, Wisconsin has never managed to win a national title in football.

I did my undergrad at Tech. Up until the mid 90s there were only two options as far as majors go-various engineering disciplines/sciences/archictorture or management. Roughly 20% of undergrads and virtually all athletes were management majors.

Management was viewed as the easiest major at the school by comparison-and it was no cakewalk. Now, I understand they have a few odd English majors or History majors but the point being you do not see a great deal of city planning or exercise sciences classes. No offense intended who majored in those disciplines in college.

Add in that the student population - at least when I was there was 80% male.

So to sum up-few easy classes with limited females around and you have a bad recipe for sustained athletic success.

Add in that yes the school is in Atlanta , but 90% of the local population there are puppy fans and not yellow jacket fans.
Who did you know that called it archotorture? Or did you go thru it.

80% (roughly) was for the student population as a whole.

I had many engineering classes where out of twenty or so students, there might be one or at most two females.

In the management school there were more females % wise than in the engineering departments.

There used to be a joke version of the school song that began-

"I'm a Rambling Wreck from Georgia Tech what the hell am I doing here?
The ratio is four to one and half of them are queer"
My sister got a full ride offer to go there, when very similar grades and scores didnt get me anything.

I find it absolutely astonishing that, despite being an inaugural member of the Big Ten boasting two Heisman winners and decent success for periods in most decades, Wisconsin has never managed to win a national title in football.

They might have had 2 Heisman winners, but they never have had enough great players surrounding them. I doubt they ever will .

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Who did you know that called it archotorture? Or did you go thru it.

Nah. I stayed away from that building except for the few times I had a class there. If memory serves, the architecture building had one auditorium style classroom that held about 200 people so I recall having a few huge general classes there in my first few years-history and whatever that health class thing they made you take freshman year was called.

I would assume I picked up "architorture" from the few brave souls I knew who went that route back in the day.

Doesn't shock me about your sister getting a free ride while you got offered jack. Even when I was there then the school was doing everything in their power to attract more females.

Nah. I stayed away from that building except for the few times I had a class there. If memory serves, the architecture building had one auditorium style classroom that held about 200 people so I recall having a few huge general classes there in my first few years-history and whatever that health class thing they made you take freshman year was called.

I would assume I picked up "architorture" from the few brave souls I knew who went that route back in the day.

Doesn't shock me about your sister getting a free ride while you got offered jack. Even when I was there then the school was doing everything in their power to attract more females.
UTs building or GT? I was at UT. But I wouldnt be surprised if GT used the term too.

UTs building or GT? I was at UT. But I wouldnt be surprised if GT used the term too.

I was referring to GT. I did my undergrad at GT and later on went to UT for some graduate stuff. I don't think I have ever set foot in the UT architecture building.

No national titles, but Wisconsin might be the biggest overachiever in CFB, IMO. At least since Alvarez got there.

It's a pretty strong academic school in a fairly moderately populated, very cold state with hardly any football talent. They routinely recruit in the 30s and 40s nationally. Wisconsin "should" be pretty bad at football on a near year-in, year-out basis.

I was referring to GT. I did my undergrad at GT and later on went to UT for some graduate stuff. I don't think I have ever set foot in the UT architecture building.
Ok. We have a similarly sized classroom but I didnt remember many non "design" folks using it.

VN Store

Back