Which players do you feel need to "put on more steam" next season?

keenobserver

Let's try to limit it to players that have been in the program at least 1 year. Also, let's not beat the JG dead horse on this one.

Obvious answer is everyone. But there are a few that come to my mind that dont have much experience, but we may have to count on.....

Last edited:
Let's try to limit it to those that have been in the program at least one year.

Obvious answer is everyone. But there are a few that come to my mind that dont have much experience, but we may have to count on.....

Crouch and Peterson at LB.

Morris and Wright at OT.

Guarantano at QB.

Keyton and Gibbs at WR.

Chandler at RB.

OP, you did a good job setting up the question. Hopefuelly, errrbidy will work in the parameters bc it's a good thread idea. I'm gonna try to put mine in no particular order ...

JG - Refer to 8,654 other threads. Be mentally fit full time and boom.
Mays - "Step Up" by getting cleared (Out of his control I guess)
Wright - Seemed to hit a wall late. Time to show out this yr.
Any 2nd TE -
Gibbs - Need a 2nd fear opposite Palmer
BJohnson - 5th year guy needs 40+ catches
Chandler - It's like he's only a 1/2 step away from impact.
VJones - Upperclassman now need more than kick returns
Emerson - Coming out party ready.
Garland - Converted to DL nice last year. Can be even more.
Gooden - Time for Beast mode
Solomon - Start strong and we'll have something
Bennett - Needed w Johnson
DJohnson - Time to get over the hump and make impact plays
Crouch - Play by instinct and All-American is possible
Peterson - Now or never
Shamburger - Can be excellent if mentally locked in to scheme
Jackson - See Shamburger
Flowers - Can be elite
Taylor - Focus every play and leave for the pros early.

OP, you did a good job setting up the question. Hopefuelly, errrbidy will work in the parameters bc it's a good thread idea. I'm gonna try to put mine in no particular order ...

JG - Refer to 8,654 other threads. Be mentally fit full time and boom.
Mays - "Step Up" by getting cleared (Out of his control I guess)
Wright - Seemed to hit a wall late. Time to show out this yr.
Any 2nd TE -
Gibbs - Need a 2nd fear opposite Palmer
BJohnson - 5th year guy needs 40+ catches
Chandler - It's like he's only a 1/2 step away from impact.
VJones - Upperclassman now need more than kick returns
Emerson - Coming out party ready.
Garland - Converted to DL nice last year. Can be even more.
Gooden - Time for Beast mode
Solomon - Start strong and we'll have something
Bennett - Needed w Johnson
DJohnson - Time to get over the hump and make impact plays
Crouch - Play by instinct and All-American is possible
Peterson - Now or never
Shamburger - Can be excellent if mentally locked in to scheme
Jackson - See Shamburger
Flowers - Can be elite
Taylor - Focus every play and leave for the pros early.

Nice list and real good analysis...I'll add a few thoughts.

Warren: entering his 3rd year. 6'6' 240 with a huge catch radius and catching ability. Some of those 1 handed snags at Farragut were legendary..Time to be more physical at the point of attack to earn a spot. P. Fant had much more reps last season so I'm sure hed be the front runner for 2 TE sets.

D. Johnson: same thing, really athletic, nice speed off the edge, but being more physical and consistent has always been an issue

Gibbs/Palmer/Johnson/Keyton: someone needs to develop into a "big play" guy--a gamechanger, Someone that the defense has to game plan for

Tillman: he kinda gets lost in the fold sometimes in terms of expectations. Big WR with surprisingly decent speed. Forget which game it was when Callaway broke a long one and Tillman came outta nowhere and out ran him to the endzone. I'd like to think we should expect him to contribute more entering his 3rd year in the program?

Solomon: do whatever it takes this offseason to put himself into a position to where he's not getting injured as much. Obviously some injuries are unavoidable, but man, seems like he had to be helped off every game. He's definitely capable of having a larger impact when healthy

John Mincy/Kingston Harris/Ollie Lane: what's going on here? Did we miss on these guys? Any chance they'll ever be able to give anyone a breather? I know Mincy has played a little each year early in the first few games...

A. Taylor: no more mental mistakes (BYU)

Flowers/T.Jackson: hope they are ready to compete if Key Lawrence ends up at FS and not CB. He's gonna be a special player ..

Jamir Johnson: might have been our 2nd meanest, most aggressive offensive lineman last season. He fires off the ball and strikes people with ill intent. Problem has been he's been reprimanded a few times for not making weight the staff wants him to be at... He needs to get to 300 lbs and stay there. We'll need him to play some again I'm sure.

Jeremy Banks: I hope he has a GA to ensure he stays in his dorm on the weekends. Or better yet, get coach Tee to clean out the guest bedroom.

Last edited:
How about Eric Gray? He needs to get more touches this season. He gets more touches when he’s on the field . He’s on the field more when he’s able to be a consistent blocker and knows his pass protections. The D will also not key on him if we consistently throw with him in the game.

If he gets more physical and his pass protections down he’s gonna have a lot more opportunities to have a big year.

Ramel Keyton. He was a solid rotation player as a freshman, but we need him to be a consistent source of production as a sophomore. Theo Jackson is another guy I would list with the loss of Warrior.

VN Store

Back