Which One Will Win First?

Their last three coaches have won nattie's and two of those coaches are goobers. I'm thinking Kiffin is the one that doesn't make it out of the west in regards to the two programs.

The last time Kelly faced Saban he was shutout and embarrassed on the biggest stage. It won’t be any different.

As far as Kiffin goes he won’t ever do anything unless flopping gets you points or coeds

Reactions: Volatility
Day.... 34-4 after 3 seasons..made 2 CFP playoffs. Has all the stars aligned for him this year after personally hiring a new defensive staff that is elite. Has 8 home games this year.
Stroud is legit. I’ll be interested to see if the Defense is improved. That was their Achilles last season. Oregon and Michigan pounded them on the ground.

The last time Kelly faced Saban he was shutout and embarrassed on the biggest stage. It won’t be any different.

As far as Kiffin goes he won’t ever do anything unless flopping gets you points or coeds
If Coach O (and Les Miles) can beat Saban once as LSU coaches, Kelly could. The Hat beat him more than once.

No, but he coaches LSU, where since Saban left I'm not sure it matters all that much who coaches the team. It's like Saban left some kind of magic aura there.
Seems like almost all the really good players (especially OL and DL) from Louisiana always seem to go to LSU, so they are always good in the trenches. Crucial in SEC play.
Kelly is a good coach. We will find out just how good in the next few seasons.

The list of schools that have had three consecutive coaches win a NC has to be pretty small. At least in the post WW2 era.
Hell, the list of 2 is pretty small. Oklahoma, Nebraska, FSU, and LSU are the only ones I can think of offhand. And that's really something to have 2 clowns like The Hat and Coach O win back to back titles.

I'm not sold that Day is going to be sticking around much longer with the Buckeyes. He seems to have the NFL urge. Wouldn't shock me to see him bolt after any season.

Of the choices, I would have to say Lincoln Riley. SC has basically sucked for a decade. They are throwing the kitchen sink at the football program now. As a bonus, he basically has a free pass to an undefeated season yearly unless the P12 steps up.

Hey, I hope you don't mind if I take exception to your post......

Hell, the list of 2 is pretty small. Oklahoma, Nebraska, FSU, and LSU are the only ones I can think of offhand. And that's really something to have 2 clowns like The Hat and Coach O win back to back titles.
Miami Hurricanes maybe? I’m only 36 but I think they did as well… somewhere between schnellenberger, Johnson, Ericsson maybe?

Miami Hurricanes maybe? I’m only 36 but I think they did as well… somewhere between schnellenberger, Johnson, Ericsson maybe?
Yeah, not sure how I forgot them. Schnellenberger, Johnson, and Erickson won 3 in a row. Butch Davis came real close, then Coker won one. So they had a run where 4 out of 5 coaches won titles.

Every penny I own on Riley or Day…..

The others have zero shot
I've seen people whine about Riley leaving OU for USC but it was actually the right move for him.

Just for giggles and grins Dave Aranda beat 4 of those 8 coaches listed last season. 🤔🤔🤔

Last edited:
I think Day will be first. OSU is a blue blood and they can out talent the entire conference. Same with Riley. LSU is great because it’s a talent rich state with no other P5 competitor in state. But the SEC is a meat grinder of a conference. Nobody else on that list has a chance.

Reactions: BUBear
I think Day will be first. OSU is a blue blood and they can out talent the entire conference. Same with Riley. LSU is great because it’s a talent rich state with no other P5 competitor in state. But the SEC is a meat grinder of a conference. Nobody else on that list has a chance.

Assuming they’ve improved on D, I’m picking Ohio State to get to the title game this season. Stroud and those receivers are excellent. I can’t express how much I hate typing that.

They won a national title in 2014.
Ohio state had a lucky bounce as that was the only team Saban didn't have a true qb. Some people say that was Lane Kiffins best coaching job along with making Jonathan Crompton serviceable here. Lane got Blake Sims to do some good things as the Alabama QB but clearly that wasn't the typical SEC team in the college football playoff to get past.

Ohio state had a lucky bounce as that was the only team Saban didn't have a true qb. Some people say that was Lane Kiffins best coaching job along with making Jonathan Crompton serviceable here. Lane got Blake Sims to do some good things as the Alabama QB but clearly that wasn't the typical SEC team in the college football playoff to get past.
A bunch of Saban teams haven't had a great QB. Saban having great QBs that drive the offense are actually kind of a recent phenomenon (Tua, Bryce Young). Sims had better numbers than Greg McElroy, who Saban did win a title with.

That Ohio St team that won the title won the Big Ten title game and the two playoff games with a third-string QB (Cardale Jones).

If Coach O (and Les Miles) can beat Saban once as LSU coaches, Kelly could. The Hat beat him more than once.
This is why my money is on Kelly to win one before he is finished there. It's more about the bus than it is the bus driver.

How much longer is Saban going to coach? This could change the answer to the original post.

How much longer is Saban going to coach? This could change the answer to the original post.
I resisted this thought for a long time (probably wishful thinking), but I do think now that he's one of these "coach 'til I die" types.

LSU is capable of winning a national title with Saban still at Alabama anyway. Their fanbase has something of a "poor pitiful me" complex about them, but IMO they are easily the second most successful college football program since 2000, behind only Alabama. They have won a national title and played for another since Saban arrived at Alabama.

I could see him going into Bobby Bowden/Joe Pa age bracket. He knows what he’s getting in recruiting and rarely has games that cause stress.

People have been saying he will last less than 4 more years for more than a decade on this site.

Now with him getting older every year, each year is more likely to finally be correct, but we have been saying it for a while.

"Oh he is this old, he wont last 4 more years"
"Oh he cant keep up with the up tempo offense, he won't last 4 more years"
"Oh this coach is in his head, he wont last 4 more years."
"Oh he doesnt like this rule change, he wont last 4 more years".

Everytime he has, and everytime he comes back to win another NC.

Reactions: Volatility

VN Store

Back