Which is More Important to You, And Why.

No offense to Mr. Paul's sisters, but they probably didn't look like Phoebe Cates or Jessica Alba.

As for resolving basketball ties, utilize the soccer approach.

Have teams alternate half-court shots.

That or have a spelling bee to test the "student athlete" theory. That would be especially entertaining in the men's game.

The only thing I have trouble with is the "soccer approach". By the time they get to the point of being done. I have been done and moved on to a sporting event like Tiddlywinks!

Reactions: creekdipper
gone out to mow the lawn
be back in a few hours

I will leave you with this
A 3-Legged dog walks into a bar and says..."I'm looking for the man who shot my paw"

Later
;i)
Dooley ruined this joke, but anyway here goes.
A man walks into a bar in Lexington, KY. The UK-UT game is on TV. UK scores a TD, the dog jumps up on the bar and starts barking like crazy. The guy asks the bartender, "what's up with the dog?" The bartender tells the guy "the dog loves UK and he hates TN. The guy asks the bartender "If he jumps on the bar and goes crazy over a TD, what does he do when KY wins?" Bartender replies, "I don't know I've only had him for 30 years!"

Dooley ruined this joke, but anyway here goes.
A man walks into a bar in Lexington, KY. The UK-UT game is on TV. UK scores a TD, the dog jumps up on the bar and starts barking like crazy. The guy asks the bartender, "what's up with the dog?" The bartender tells the guy "the dog loves UK and he hates TN. The guy asks the bartender "If he jumps on the bar and goes crazy over a TD, what does he do when KY wins?" Bartender replies, "I don't know I've only had him for 30 years!"

At a UT game, a UT fan and a Fla fan are at the urinal
When they both finish the UT fan begins towards the door and the Fla fan towards the sink
The Fla fan say, "We wash our hands when we finish at Fla
The UT fan say, "We don't pee on our hands"

UT guy is at the urinal when a Gator fan comes up and takes a peak. He asks the UT fan "I see you got US tatooed on your Johnson." The TN fan replied, "you got it wrong mister. When I unroll it says "University of Tennessee VolunteerS"

There is no wrong answer, just your opinion.

(1) Which is more important to you, a guard that can shoot lights out, but plays weak defense....Or, do you want a guard that plays great defense, but can't shoot worth a darn?

(2) A post that is tall, plays great defense, but has a hard time making lay ups and in close shots....Or, do you want a post that is tall, that can score down low, but her defense is sorely lacking?

(3) Do you want your coach to be more efficient in her defensive game plans, and teaches lock down defense, or do you prefer a coach that teaches lights out offense....

The logical answer is a little of each, but that is not an option.
yield-road-sign-tough-decisions-260nw-129788684.jpg
The answer to all 3 points is ; Defense, Defense, Defense. Defense is the heart and soul of basketball. Great offenses spring from great defenses. As geno said, "it doesn't matter if you score 20 points if your opponent scores 30."

Somebody said nothing frustrates a team like the other team making baskets. IMO, nothing frustrates a team like not being able to run their offense; like not getting into position for their favorite shot; Not getting their shot off because of an in your grill defender; like having your wide open layup smacked into the 10th row. When players don't get their way in the offensive end they get frustrated, lose composure and compound mistakes. They are taken right out of their game by defense. In a up and down scoring fest, no one get frustrated. I just think your going to stop being lucky and I'll eventually win.

you can have any 5 scorers you want. I'll take 5 lockdown defenders and I'll win 90% of the time.

Last edited:
That Walt Chamberline was a man...
Yes, a big man...
And he fought for the NBA to make all the NBA free (along with his 20,000 admirers).

He was only rivaled in stature by his cousins, Andrew the Gaunt and Pete Bunyane.

Reactions: GameTime
Lock down defense is too often called a foul by today's referees....In days gone by, you could touch an offensive guard, but not now....Whistle every time....

Players have learned to "just jump" into the defender, or do a flop...Most of the time they get the call...Refs are looking to blow their whistles, not swallow them.

The guards carry and palm the ball and are never called for this infraction...It gives the offensive player the needed edge to get the angle they need for a drive to the basket, or the infamous jump into the defender...

Pat became a legend off defense and rebounds, there is no denying that... But that will not fly today...The 3 point demon ball changed all of that...

Give me a team of hot shot shooters, and we'll outscore you, or foul you out of the game, with our flops and our endless player bumping...

Defense is necessary, but the scoreboard is not impressed with how man points your opponent did not get, but who scored the most...
lx3120.png

Last edited:
Reactions: FabSmokyVol
For #1 and #2, as cheap as it is, my answer would be "what do I already have?" A guard that plays great defense -- truly great defense -- is worth their weight in gold, but so is a guard who can shoot lights out. They're equivalent in my mind and I would vote depending on what else I already had on hand to complement them with (and vice versa). Same with the post, although I'd slightly prefer the defensive post *IF* they clean the boards like a vacuum cleaner. Particularly with the way more production comes from the outside today. Give me a hard nosed player who is motivated to own the paint and dictate what goes on there, even if it's not them scoring.

For #3, I'd prefer defense. I think Pat's philosophy of "you can play great defense regardless of whether or not your shots are falling," or something to that effect, was certainly true. Great defense depends on practice, teamwork, trust, experience, and motivation, all of which you can work on and develop regardless of shooting ability. I mean, so does offense, but defense is a bit less dependent on chance and shooting ability. If your team can commit to playing team defense, they can go a long way. Though. THOUGH. That philosophy has fallen to the wayside a bit with basketball producing better volume shooters at younger ages.

That said, Pat's Achilles heel in this sort of examination was that sometimes she really did drift a bit too far away from developing reliable offensive productivity. I'm always citing that 2001 Xavier loss, the one where Tennessee was 31-3 but had spent half the year without Catchings, and then Xavier shocked them, and afterward Pat was on the postgame show talking about how they were going to go back to Knoxville and work on their defense. Probably one of the few times you could be forgiven for thinking that maybe they needed a bit more reliable production on offense than they did squeezing even harder on defensive perfection; they shot less than 40% in that one if I recall correctly. Eh. It's really coaching philosophy and team philosophy at that point I guess.

Reactions: Prophet1

(1) Which is more important to you, a guard that can shoot lights out, but plays weak defense....Or, do you want a guard that plays great defense, but can't shoot worth a darn?

(2) A post that is tall, plays great defense, but has a hard time making lay ups and in close shots....Or, do you want a post that is tall, that can score down low, but her defense is sorely lacking?

(3) Do you want your coach to be more efficient in her defensive game plans, and teaches lock down defense, or do you prefer a coach that teaches lights out offense....

1) Give me a Alberta Augusta.
2) Give me a Izzy or Glory
3) Give me a Summitt not Tyler.

Offense on ALL OF IT.

Very few freshmen come in ready to be stalwarts on defense anyway and must learn to play defense on the college level. Defense tactics and strategies can be taught. Elite scoring absolutely cannot. I agree with the person who said you can hide a bad defender. You can ”help” on defense...shoot, even your best defenders get beat and and need help. But NO ONE can help you score If you are not an elite scorer. I don’t care how many shots you shoot in the gym, how many hours you stay after...NONE OF THAT. There is something that separates an Elite scorer from “someone who can make shots“. Most decent basketball players can make shots. But being able to shoot or create your own shot, CONSISTENTLY, , under pressure, when you’re down, when you‘re tired and when NOBODY else can make a shot, whenever the hell you want to????....THAT can’t be taught. You either have it or you don’t and that explains why “gym rats’ get praised for being in the gym but then it doesn’t translate over to the games, leaving fans confused. It’s because again, you either have the “it factor”, or you don’t.

Offense on ALL OF IT.

Very few freshmen come in ready to be stalwarts on defense anyway and must learn to play defense on the college level. Defense tactics and strategies can be taught. Elite scoring absolutely cannot. I agree with the person who said you can hide a bad defender. You can ”help” on defense...shoot, even your best defenders get beat and and need help. But NO ONE can help you score If you are not an elite scorer. I don’t care how many shots you shoot in the gym, how many hours you stay after...NONE OF THAT. There is something that separates an Elite scorer from “someone who can make shots“. Most decent basketball players can make shots. But being able to shoot or create your own shot, CONSISTENTLY, , under pressure, when you’re down, when you‘re tired and when NOBODY else can make a shot, whenever the hell you want to????....THAT can’t be taught. You either have it or you don’t and that explains why “gym rats’ get praised for being in the gym but then it doesn’t translate over to the games, leaving fans confused. It’s because again, you either have the “it factor”, or you don’t.

On this we disagree.
Give me Tamari for the summer and I will give you a scoring center. Give me Rae, with her unbridled drive and I will give you 15 points a game and control. Gym rats become gym cats when coached appropriately. Mindset, means and mentality are all coachable.

I have a lifetime of teaching non-players to be players. Gym rats to be ballers. Scoring is not an inate thing, nor is technique, nor is leadership and mentality,,,they are all taught.

Ambition, desire, passion,,,these are the qualities I cannot, nor will not teach.

A good coach should be able to inspire desire and passion not just hope it shows up.

A good coach should be able to inspire desire and passion not just hope it shows up.

CPS once said something, in my presence, at the 1996 SEC women's game...
"I will teach anything but passion, if I have to teach you to love my game, I don't want you"

She said that right in front of me to a small group gathered at that point.

Reactions: Bennessee01
Wow, Attitude to me is one of the most important aspects in an athlete!

Attitude is often affected by personal situations that are invisible to anyone but those who know about them.
When I mentored Meme I was privy to things going on in her life and health that no one else knew about.
It took an outside influence and the right words for her to get past some of those things and just play the game.
It was never about attitude about her. Her drive, desire and work ethic were off the charts.
It was about influences only she was dealing with that people didn't know about or understand.

Females, in the highest percentage, are much more led by their emotions than males.
Outside negative influences can often push a male in the opposite way, putting them into a "I'll show you" mentality,, while those same negative influences can cause most females to shut down and put them into a different "I'll show you by shutting down" status.

The right words, said at the right time can help them through the traumas.

This is something Geno understands and why his athletes love him so, and something the public will never understand or know until he puts it into words.
He becomes a "rock" for his girls and they get strength from him.

Pat had this same influence and ability, I saw it firsthand in those two SEC tournaments I worked,

Part of my book will deal with the emotional and mental aspects of coaching females.
In it I say..."We are more than gender opposites, we are emotional, physical and psychological opposites...Emotionally; men have to perform well to feel good about themselves, where, women have to feel good about themselves to perform well...and...Psychologically men could care less who you are till they know what you know, where women could care less what you know util they know who you are..."

Pat, Geno, and the better coaches understand these and other idiosyncrasies about the female gender. AND!!!! of course, there are exceptions to the rules. There are females that have the male mentality but they are a very tiny percentage.

Further, each female athlete is unique,, just like everyone else.
With Tamari, I would look for the button to bring out her warrior spirit, with Rae I would look for the button that controls her warrior spirit,

VN Store

Back