Which coach walked into the worst situation

Which coach walked into the worst situation?

• Majors

• Kiffin

• Dooley

• Jones

• Pruitt

• Heupel

Results are only viewable after voting.
I voted Heup because he inherited 15 years worth of depleted roster combined with average recruiting, 30 something transfers out, 'AA issues/cloud/negative recruiting, scholarship reductions, etc.

What he has done since he got her is nothing short of remarkable

Last edited:
As the title said, which coach do you believe took over the worst program? Fulmer is not listed, obviously because the program was already doing well. Seems over the years and still now, there is debate in many threads as to the quality of players in the program when each of these choices became the HC

Though Dooley had Bray, I give a nod to him as virtually none of CLK’s one recruiting class panned out. Runner up on my list would have to be Jones as there was nothing but, I’m tempted to switch CJH due to all of the transfers when Pruitt was let go.
Dooley being forced to keep some staff from Kiffin also was big hurdle

I remember taking my two boys to the 2009 Spring practice that was open to the public (there was no game in Neyland that year, I think they were replacing the sod). So this was Kiffin's first Spring. I was taken aback at how small we were. Obviously we had some really good players, including Eric Berry, but the cubbard was bare.

We signed five, 5 Stars in 2007, but only one (Berry) panned out. The 2008 recruiting class was ranked 35th by Rivals with only 18 signees. I think Fulmer was coasting going into 2008 both recruiting and team discipline after losing several assistants and the result was a disastrous 2008 season (we lost to Wyoming and nearly lost to Northern Illinois).

I would say the worst situation was what Kiffin walked into, except for how Kiffen left, I think there was a compound effect for Dooley. Too bad Dooley was a colossal prick.
Must have sucked for Kiffin having only two 1st round NFL draft picks, a 2nd rounder along with the other 3 picks that went in 2010. Plus two picks in 2011.

Don't know how he managed to get by.

Majors by far. Player personnel may have been down for the other coaches by varying degrees and they may have had to overcome some negative recruiting due to ncaa investigations, but the rest all walked into a nationally recognized brand, world class facilities and stadium, and a very competitive recruiting budget. As we saw, even a bozo like Butch Jones could sell here.

Majors by far. Player personnel may have been down for the other coaches by varying degrees and they may have had to overcome some negative recruiting due to ncaa investigations, but the rest all walked into a nationally recognized brand, world class facilities and stadium, and a very competitive recruiting budget. As we saw, even a bozo like Butch Jones could sell here.
And Majors did not have the transfer portal to help turn the program around. Back then you had to recruit freshmen to improve the Team. I guess you could say they all had roster problems when they entered, but the biggest rebuilding job had to be what Majors inherited.

And Majors did not have the transfer portal to help turn the program around. Back then you had to recruit freshmen to improve the Team. I guess you could say they all had roster problems when they entered, but the biggest rebuilding job had to be what Majors inherited.
Good point.

Reactions: OrangeTsar
Majors 1977

1712764053796.png

1712764087790.png

Kiffin 2009
1712761293409.png

Dooley 2010
1712761492916.png

Jones 2013
1712762116426.png
1712762158695.png

Cornbread 2018

1712762440188.png

Josh 2021

1712762714155.png

Last edited:
IMO the answer is Josh but, as much as I dislike Butch Jones, he inherited Phil being lazy at the end of his tenure, the Kiffin debacle, and 3 years of Dooley recruiting, including 1 entire year signing ZERO OL recruits, probably the most developmental position on the football field.

I didn't consider Majors because that was a bit before my football fandom (I was born in '77) began.

Reactions: NighthawkVol

Johnny's 1st signing class. Reggie Harper is the 1st name that pops out but look at the size of the linemen. 265 pound tackle is the heaviest.

1712764589937.png

Jones or Heupel.

Tennessee was still relevant when Kiffin and Dooley came in. After Dooley, we were the laughing stock of the SEC. Butch gave us some decent and exciting years.

We all know what Heupel walked into......

Easily Heupel. He walked into the absolute low point in Tennessee football history. The team lost over 30 players to the portal, many of them starters. They had lost 7 of 8, completing the worst season in decades. Got crushed by a bad Kentucky team during that stretch. Lost all the games by double digits. The NCAA was in town with what looked like near death penalty level of violations. The athletic department had to be flushed out because it was a complete disaster under Fulmer.

So he took over the worst roster from the worst team and the worst time in school history, and by a wide margin.

Must have sucked for Kiffin having only two 1st round NFL draft picks, a 2nd rounder along with the other 3 picks that went in 2010. Plus two picks in 2011.

Don't know how he managed to get by.

If your criteria is based on "who played in the NFL" rosters, then hands down it was Josh Heupel who inherited a team with only five players that would end up in the NFL. Kiffin and Dooley were tied with second and third worst with 10 and 12.

On the personnel side, besides Dan Williams on the defensive line and McClendon on offense, we had no one that should have been more than serviceable. The weight and conditioning program had gone to hell in Fulmer's last year (nor was it fixed under Kiffin). Beyond that, and even worse, was the support and facilities. Mike Hamilton was a weak AD that was being lead around by a VERY divided group of donors. The practice facilities, though the best in the country when updated in 1989, were over 20 years old (with major upgrades in 2013). The outdoor practice fields were in such bad shape that if it rained, they could not be used for days.

Dooley walked into that mess and national press about Kiffin stealing players (trying to) and burning mattresses.

But yes, there were 10 players that served on an NFL roster (that includes Bryce Brown who transferred and a long snapper) for Kiffin.

The only reason Majors isn't winning this poll is most on here are not old enough to remember or weren't born yet when Bittle Battle inflicted his damage to the program.

I remember when Jonny came marching home. He square was not very good, but he was not strapped by having as few -layers on the square or restrictions on recruiting. He also brought a super coaching staff with him. In addition he was coming off a National Championship year at Pitt. We we had him at the Big Orange club meeting before his first season as our coach, he said his team was not very big, they were slow. Much of that statement was true. He had a starting defensive tackle that weighed just about 200 pounds and he ha no portal to get new players. Good thing he and his staff were very good recruiters. At that time we could help him recruit and he hit the Atlanta hard.and he was able to land many of the Atlanta’s better players. It was always exciting to go with on his recruiting visits. I learned a lot from him about the importance of communicating with young players and their parents.
While his situation was difficult during his first year, I do not think it was as dire as Heupel’s.

If your criteria is based on "who played in the NFL" rosters, then hands down it was Josh Heupel who inherited a team with only five players that would end up in the NFL. Kiffin and Dooley were tied with second and third worst with 10 and 12.

On the personnel side, besides Dan Williams on the defensive line and McClendon on offense, we had no one that should have been more than serviceable. The weight and conditioning program had gone to hell in Fulmer's last year (nor was it fixed under Kiffin). Beyond that, and even worse, was the support and facilities. Mike Hamilton was a weak AD that was being lead around by a VERY divided group of donors. The practice facilities, though the best in the country when updated in 1989, were over 20 years old (with major upgrades in 2013). The outdoor practice fields were in such bad shape that if it rained, they could not be used for days.

Dooley walked into that mess and national press about Kiffin stealing players (trying to) and burning mattresses.

But yes, there were 10 players that served on an NFL roster (that includes Bryce Brown who transferred and a long snapper) for Kiffin.
not just based on who went to the NFL....guys like Hardesty, Poole, McNeil, McClendon, Scott,Moore, McCoy, Shaw were more than just serviceable as well some as others.

Posted the depth chart, so where were we small?

Cubbard bare? No that simply isn't true.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
I remember when Jonny came marching home. He square was not very good, but he was not strapped by having as few -layers on the square or restrictions on recruiting. He also brought a super coaching staff with him. In addition he was coming off a National Championship year at Pitt. We we had him at the Big Orange club meeting before his first season as our coach, he said his team was not very big, they were slow. Much of that statement was true. He had a starting defensive tackle that weighed just about 200 pounds and he ha no portal to get new players. Good thing he and his staff were very good recruiters. At that time we could help him recruit and he hit the Atlanta hard.and he was able to land many of the Atlanta’s better players. It was always exciting to go with on his recruiting visits. I learned a lot from him about the importance of communicating with young players and their parents.
While his situation was difficult during his first year, I do not think it was as dire as Heupel’s.
I disagree. Heupel had Tennessee in the playoff and national championship discussion in year 2. I don't see any scenario where he does that with the team, resources, technology limitations, and lack of transfers in the Major era.

VN Store

Back