Where were you when

We lived an hour north of Phoenix off of I-17. At that time, I was in the 5th grade. My dad had no idea about how to get tickets so we missed out on going. The day of the game was our first day of school back from Christmas; my siblings and I went to school DECKED out in Tennessee gear. We had stickers, face paint, the whole deal. The Arizona kids didn’t know what hit them. I watched most of the game by myself. My dad was so nervous he basically made himself sick and couldn’t watch until Peerless broke it. For a few days after the game, I remember a steady stream of UT fans passing along on the interstate headed home. My birthday was a few days later and my parents took me to Phoenix to get a national championship shirt. It is full of holes and stained but I still got that shirt.

I was working in Germany with equipment design and manufacturing company. That was well before the kind of internet we have today. My wife recorded the game for me on VHS (well, she tried, that is).

Last edited:
Reactions: Hacksaw
I was in the stadium, the old Sun Devil Stadium there in Tempe, sitting in the ABC section, Peerless Price caught two bombs just in front of our section, it was the last football broadcast of John Wards radio career, the PepsiCo representative presenting Fulmer the bowl trophy was current UT Board of Trustees chair John Compton, Tennessee QB coach Chris Weinke was on the Florida State squad but was injured, Dwayne Goodrich was all over Heisman candidate Peter Warrick like a cheap suit, snatching an interception and returning it for a touchdown,

Our kids were 6, 4, and 3 at the time, stayed with their grandmother, they all have graduated from Tennessee now and haven't experienced any big wins other than a kickoff classic in Atlanta and have absolutely no desire to become a UT athletics booster or season ticket holder

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I was 28, much better looking, and very pleased you guys kept FSU a from winning a national title.
Even though you are gator..... I have always respected your thoughts, and opinions.

BTW... the Gators suck! You would get your better looks back if you were to wear the big orange!

I was 10 and living in Murfreesboro, TN. I was young so my memory of the game is pretty fuzzy, but at least I can say I was around at the time.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
We were at the game watching the victory & our son in the P.O.T.S. Band. Charter flight on the return trip was an adventure, too...emergency landing after 2 hours circling Pheonix airport.

I was 30 and was in Tempe for the whole thing. It was glorious and we even used the word dynasty, man we’re we stupid!

Reactions: FLVOL_79
I was 25 and running around the outside of my parent's house screaming like a madman after the clock hit :00.

I think I scanned the field for 3 minutes looking for a flag after the Peerless bomb TD, but maybe that's just the last 20 years of Battered Vol Syndrome clouding the memory.

Reactions: Hacksaw
I was in Washington, DC, stationed at the Pentagon but working at State Department on a temporary assignment. Jacqueline and I had twin girls, age 2. Cute as buttons.

My dad was up from Tullahoma that week, helping me put in kitchen cabinets. Timed his trip specifically so we could watch the national championship game together.

Awesome memories. Thanks for bringing them back, @airvols .

Go Vols!

Reading your 1st sentence this popped into my head. Did you take the Foreign Service Written Exam?

u4CO1.gif

VN Store

Back