Where was the emotion?

Was it just me, or did we really seem out of it? Like we didn’t want to be there.

LOL at the board. Amazing. People were thinking before the season that this team may just may make the NCAA tournament while others thought this would be a bad year. Now suddenly we have outperformed what many thought and suddenly its trash. Some of you should go back to the FF.

Positive .... Look how much JJJ stepped up his game...Others will improve also as the year goes along...sit back and enjoy the growth of some of these players. SEC play hasn't began yet

I think we had emotion (and JJJ and fulk played pretty hard and well). I think our guys were constantly frustrated by not being able to score (missing open looks, layups) and the game was ugly from a "flow" perspective - lots of fouls and/or turnovers that didn't allow the game to flow very well for good amounts of it.

When you're playing hard but things aren't going your way, it can obviously be frustrating. But I don't think it looked like "we didn’t want to be there"

Well, to be fair emotion is typically shown when you make big shots. We played hard and scrapped with them. But it’s hard to be emotional when the basketball doesn’t go into the hoop.

Reactions: RollerVol
LOL at the board. Amazing. People were thinking before the season that this team may just may make the NCAA tournament while others thought this would be a bad year. Now suddenly we have outperformed what many thought and suddenly its trash. Some of you should go back to the FF.

Positive .... Look how much JJJ stepped up his game...Others will improve also as the year goes along...sit back and enjoy the growth of some of these players. SEC play hasn't began yet
The post you quoted didn't say we were trash. This was a very winnable game and we played well below what we're capable of. I think people can be upset and question how good we're going to be if Turner and Bowden don't come around, while still realizing that this was going to be somewhat of a rebuilding year.

I was just asking what happen to our passion? Usually Turner gets hyped up. He seemed way to calm from what I’ve seen in usual games. JJJ didn’t do any different than his previous games.

Well, to be fair emotion is typically shown when you make big shots. We played hard and scrapped with them. But it’s hard to be emotional when the basketball doesn’t go into the hoop.
Kinda my thoughts as well. We were never able to get that second-half spurt to feed our emotion. Fulk definitely played with emotion, though. Pember gave us some good hard minutes and showed some fire.

The team has seniors but has youth w playmakers.

What, 70% of our offense left for the NBA/graduation? We had three freshmen in @ the same time when we got into foul trouble 1st half. Memphis’ pressure defense sped the game during this time frame and we got rattled the last 8-10 min. It’s difficult to play when you have to think vs the game coming to you.
I was proud of Fulekrson and James and thought Pember showed some promise. Pons needs to develop consistency while Turner is pressing for some reason.

Reactions: Tstormtrooper
The post you quoted didn't say we were trash. This was a very winnable game and we played well below what we're capable of. I think people can be upset and question how good we're going to be if Turner and Bowden don't come around, while still realizing that this was going to be somewhat of a rebuilding year.

Yes it was winnable Freak and as i said, go back and read the post from before the season started. Many thought it would be great if we even got into the tournament. We have out performed so far. I have posted other replies in the BB forum already in support of this team this year the progress of a couple players just from our last game.

I am confident Barnes will get the most out of his players. This year is a surprise already to me

Yes it was winnable Freak and as i said, go back and read the post from before the season started. Many thought it would be great if we even got into the tournament. We have out performed so far. I have posted other replies in the BB forum already in support of this team this year the progress of a couple players just from our last game.

I am confident Barnes will get the most out of his players. This year is a surprise already to me
I agree. I knew this team would struggle if we weren't hitting outside shots. But I'm still pretty agitated about losing this one. lol.

I agree. I knew this team would struggle if we weren't hitting outside shots. But I'm still pretty agitated about losing this one. lol.
Understood and sometimes or a lot of times I know I don't make myself clear but just watching these young players develop plus the transformation Fulkerson has made and how he played today is enjoyable. Just like last year I think by mid season this won't look like the same team. Could be wrong so I'll put it 75/25 in favor of a big improvement.

I hope our footVols will remember it was the goons at ncaa HQ in Indianapolis who denied us the services of Uros Plavsic when we meet Indiana in the Gator Bowl.

Until someone else really starts filling the scoring gaps regularly, such as JJJ, this team is going to be challenged to score on a regular basis.

Probably too much emotion. Local high school lost a rivalry game last night, first words out of the coaches mouth post game was "we had too much emotion out there. Played with our hearts and not our heads." Too much emotion, hype and you come out missing shots and things turn bad.

Kinda my thoughts as well. We were never able to get that second-half spurt to feed our emotion. Fulk definitely played with emotion, though. Pember gave us some good hard minutes and showed some fire.
I’m wondering why Barnes didn’t play Pember more. I think he can be a guy to get the team out of these emotional slumps.
Pons and JJJ seem naturally calm. We definitely need more fiery attitudes.

Pons needs to not pick up that 2nd 1st half foul and sit for most of it. He was denying at the rim and was terribly missed when he sat. BTW, who didn't see him missing that front end of the 1 plus 1 down the stretch coming? I kind of lost hope of winning this game when he went to the FT line.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Emotion wasn’t going to win this game for us. They played hard but were awful, unfortunately didn’t have anything in the bag offensively to overcome a horrible shooting night. No grant Williams to bail us out

Last edited:
There will likely not be another time this season when Bowden, Pons and Turner are all cold in the same game offensively..........

James took a big step today in becoming a viable 4th option offensively.

Fulkerson played a terrific game on defense.

Johnson and ORN need to become consistent on the offensive end as the season progresses.

Johnson's a lost cause about like Kent unfortunately. Time to force feed minutes to Gaines, Pember, and ORN whenever possible without throwing away wins. JJJ's talent is obvious, but I really think these other 3 have potential also.

The team has seniors but has youth w playmakers.

What, 70% of our offense left for the NBA/graduation? We had three freshmen in @ the same time when we got into foul trouble 1st half. Memphis’ pressure defense sped the game during this time frame and we got rattled the last 8-10 min. It’s difficult to play when you have to think vs the game coming to you.
I was proud of Fulekrson and James and thought Pember showed some promise. Pons needs to develop consistency while Turner is pressing for some reason.
Yeah but memphis had 9 freashman on the road in front of the biggest crowd they have faced, with 2 sophmore backups as veterans, 1 second year senior, and 2 starters missing who combine for 30ppg 10rpg.

VN Store

Back