Where is this football program, in your mind?

kbear01

A non-kool-aid drinking, Show me the results, VFL
I've followed UT since the early 70's. I've seen it rise, fall, rise, and fall again. I've cursed, alot. But, I've endured. Along the way, I've tracked the progress of other programs, as well. In my mind, the program is at the same level as a 1980's Ole Miss or Kentucky, or at the same level it was when Johnny Majors took over, as HC. We haven't fallen to the 80's Vandy level, yet. It took quite a while to get bowl eligible, and even longer to get to a consistently respectable level. Probably 6-7 years, if memory serves me, to being consistently respectable.
We have some talent. But, it wasn't developed, and it is not "The right talent". Depth in the trenches, not there. No game-breakers, at wideout. QB is not a good position on this team, either.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Well, keep in mind, Johnny Majors had already won a National Championship, and was very successful, before returning to Knoxville. JP is a first-time NCAA Head Coach, and at a very Prestigious and historically respectable university. As much as I hate to say this, UT IS NOT a good place right now, for proven Coordinators. As it stands, it is really only a good place for players, who want to play, right away, and coaches/coordinators who are looking to prove themselves, like HC JP. Is there a Johnny Majors like hire out there? A UT graduate, or a Legacy hire, or someone that has ties to UT? That was the only reason I ever bought into the Gruden drama, at first.

Did I hear someone say Tee Martin? Dale Jones?

Reactions: TNfan#2
Some positive signs on this year's team, but we need OL/DL. Unfortunately, it may take a few more years to get them in and prepare them to contribute at an SEC level. Without having high-level players on both sides of the line of scrimmage, our program will continue to struggle. A good line masks other deficiencies and gives you a fighting chance.

Look, this is going to take a couple of 2-3 recruiting cycles to get past the OVC mindset that Butch installed during his time here. And as long as Saban is employed to that state to the south of us, it's going to be next to impossible to get to that level, that "assembly line" is based on him being there.

Reactions: Tallman and kbear01

VN Store

Back