Where is Glory?

Glory Johnson

Oh, her. Don't know, haven't seen her on any WNBA games in a bit. Google her. Maybe that will give a clue.

Glory Johnson - Wikipedia

Just peeked in on every WNBA team roster. No listing. Did see a video of her practicing with Atlanta, but not sure if that went anywhere. May be playing oversees. Not sure how to access those sites.

Glory Johnson - WNBA.com - Official Site of the WNBA

Scroll down. Shows connections to teams in Hungary and Turkey.

Bellona Kayseri Basketbol basketball, News, Roster, Rumors, Stats, Awards, Transactions, Details-eurobasket

Found her, I think. Playing in Turkey.

Last edited:
Reactions: W.TN.Orange Blood
Saw an update on Lady Vols in the WNBA and didn't see Glory listed. Has she retired?

She was in Atlanta training camp beginning of the season then left. Wonder she's pregnant because she didn't go to another team

Saw an update on Lady Vols in the WNBA and didn't see Glory listed. Has she retired?
She hasn't retired. I think it is due to her being a veteran in the league and how much she is entitled to be paid per years of service is not what teams wanted to pay her, and because she could make more overseas, I think she took that route. I think she lands on a roster after the Olympic break should a team have an injury or need an upgrade at the 4/5 position to help them as they get ready for the playoffs/title run. They wouldn't have to pay her the $180kplus that she is entitled to and would only be responsible for probably half of that

In Atlanta I think it came down to them keeping her at $180k plus or singing Tiana Hawkins for $140K. She isn't signed due to the money she wanted compared to what a team wanted to pay. I think you see this more often now with Veterans with the cap being the way it is in the WNBA. It is a lot cheaper to keep a rookie at $50k compared to a backup Veteran at $180k. Imo she can still be a starter in the league but as we've seen with a lot of teams and moves, it's politics in a lot of these moves, decisions in the W.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
She hasn't retired. I think it is due to her being a veteran in the league and how much she is entitled to be paid per years of service is not what teams wanted to pay her, and because she could make more overseas, I think she took that route. I think she lands on a roster after the Olympic break should a team have an injury or need an upgrade at the 4/5 position to help them as they get ready for the playoffs/title run. They wouldn't have to pay her the $180kplus that she is entitled to and would only be responsible for probably half of that

In Atlanta I think it came down to them keeping her at $180k plus or singing Tiana Hawkins for $140K. She isn't signed due to the money she wanted compared to what a team wanted to pay. I think you see this more often now with Veterans with the cap being the way it is in the WNBA. It is a lot cheaper to keep a rookie at $50k compared to a backup Veteran at $180k. Imo she can still be a starter in the league but as we've seen with a lot of teams and moves, it's politics in a lot of these moves, decisions in the W.

Veteran role players will learn quickly that there is a disconnect between what they think they are worth and what the teams think they are worth. A lot of them will find themselves "Latrell Spreewell-ed" out of the league in no short order.

Veteran role players will learn quickly that there is a disconnect between what they think they are worth and what the teams think they are worth. A lot of them will find themselves "Latrell Spreewell-ed" out of the league in no short order.
Clarendon getting passed around like a hot potato proves your point also

Facts, with the cap number being the way it is, it is easier to keep a Joyner Holmes and let her ride the bench for $50/60K or draft a rookie for the same amount than to pick a veteran with the years of service who wont accept less than the $80k for their years of service. I don't blame them for wanting more, just think if they still want to make more, they will have to play overseas. Unfortunately I think this might be the last season we see Sticklin on a WNBA roster as well.

A Huge Mistake, Hawkins is better served as a 6 player coming off the bench to light a spark, not a starter. I've watched her play since high school. Good talent but isn't a starter in the W.
Atlanta wanted a big that could stretch the floor so they went after Cheyenne Parker (solid pickup) and Hawkins.....I have no idea if the Atlanta front office held Glory's 2020 season performance against her( she had covid and was never really the same after showed some flashes by dropping 23 points against LA). Doesnt matter now Atlanta fired the GM and I believe Glory will be on ATL's roster next season depending on her overseas season this coming fall

Last edited:
Reactions: mlindsay

Truth. And that disparity is made worse by the fact that every year they're facing another class of rookies who are arguably better trained, better skilled, and at least equally athletic, thanks to college and ESPN having outsized investment in the sport (along with the continuity of AAU and other factors). If you're getting players who are comparable or even better (and younger) for 1/2 to 1/3 the salary, only the elite of the elite will keep their bargaining power. And it's made even trickier by the difficulty of pricing salaries in a league that more or less operates without revenue. In a world where demand was going up, everyone could find a place. But it's a somewhat artificial league and that means the "negotiations" are somewhat artificial as well. Europe's quite ahead on this; it's much more a conversation there, as I understand it. Ironic, after a fashion, but also reality.

And it's made even trickier by the difficulty of pricing salaries in a league that more or less operates without revenue. In a world where demand was going up, everyone could find a place. But it's a somewhat artificial league and that means the "negotiations" are somewhat artificial as well. Europe's quite ahead on this; it's much more a conversation there, as I understand it. Ironic, after a fashion, but also reality.
Everyone except for the WNBA players and the Twitter Universe understands this. They all act like the WNBA is pulling in NBA dollars, and the players are getting pittance in return. For a bunch of college graduates, it amazes me that they are clueless about how revenue differs from profit.

The best thing for women's basketball is to step away from NBA and see if they can sustain themselves without their charity dollars. That will bring some much needed perspective to the players in terms of really understanding what their true market value is.

Everyone except for the WNBA players and the Twitter Universe understands this. They all act like the WNBA is pulling in NBA dollars, and the players are getting pittance in return. For a bunch of college graduates, it amazes me that they are clueless about how revenue differs from profit.

The best thing for women's basketball is to step away from NBA and see if they can sustain themselves without their charity dollars. That will bring some much needed perspective to the players in terms of really understanding what their true market value is.

I am 100% sure they understand they arent bringing in NBA money

Reactions: xtpsrh08123
I am 100% sure they understand they arent bringing in NBA money
Some exaggeration on my part, but they are severely underestimating how much the NBA is subsidizing their existence. They are essentially a charity for the NBA. So for the players to be mouthing off about "equal pay" and complaining about their already above-market salaries just shows a complete detachment/lack of understanding of the financial realities of the league.

Some exaggeration on my part, but they are severely underestimating how much the NBA is subsidizing their existence. They are essentially a charity for the NBA. So for the players to be mouthing off about "equal pay" and complaining about their already above-market salaries just shows a complete detachment/lack of understanding of the financial realities of the league.

how is it a charity if its the NBA's product?

how about the G-League I am sure that it essentially makes no money but the NBA keeps it around
The WNBA -- Or The NBA -- Should Pay Its Players More

Last edited:
Reactions: xtpsrh08123
how is it a charity if its the NBA's product?

how about the G-League I am sure that it essentially makes no money but the NBA keeps it around
The WNBA -- Or The NBA -- Should Pay Its Players More

G-League is a feeder for the NBA. It is an investment that directly correlates to improving the talent in the main NBA league...especially with the Select Contract competing with colleges for elite HS talent that may not be ready for the big leagues yet.

Same can't be said for the WNBA. It's not a feeder, so if it were treated like any other business unit, then it would be based on profit and loss...which hasn't been the case. As a whole, the WNBA doesn't turn a profit. So it turns into what it has been for the last 25 years, where the NBA is willing to lose a certain amount of money to support the league and mandate WNBA benefits into their TV contracts that the WNBA would otherwise not have leverage with. So the NBA continues to sustain what is essentially the "dog" in a Growth Share Matrix even with no expectation of profit or return on investment.

its not like she doesnt have the talent its there she deserves to be in the league but like others pointed out the new CBA is making life tough for Vets
Yes she has the talent , but not enough for her pricetag with her tenure. So if we see Glory again it will be due to her accepting a Pay cut. In all honesty i miss Glo Jo always wished she would have thrown one down in the WNBA.

VN Store

Back