Where is Dee Beckwith???

Surely this staff doesn't sit the better players at their position. Just ask HB 🤔
Yes... surely a poster with nowhere near the information or expertise the coaches have knows who the better players are....

You guys hanging on HB are getting almost as bad as JG's cult was.

Heupel says he trusts HB so he doesn't suck and apparently they wouldn't be afraid to play him. HB also has not earned the opportunity to play when compared to Milton and Hooker.... in fact he didn't win the back up job either.

Just let it go already. If he earns it, he'll get it. If the others fail and he seizes the opportunity then he'll be the guy. So far under Heupel he's never been higher than 3rd on the depth chart... and it isn't because anyone hates him or is picking on him... or doesn't want to play the best players.

I think there is at least a mystery behind why Beckwith is side-lined: he could be hurt, in the dog house, lacking a position fit, bad in pass protection . . .

We aren't asking him to run the offense though so it will be a little strange if we don't see him get a touch against Tennessee Tech. Everyone should get a chance to show what they can do against the not-so-Golden Eagles, so I'm looking forward to seeing the whole damn roster if possible.
Think it's a combination of all of these, tbh

Reactions: Rifleman
I'd still put him in there on the goal line. It can't be worse than that shotgun run. No way.
There was nothing wrong with that shotgun play call. It was seven blockers on seven defenders. Good call. But it was mis-executed by three players who didn't block the right people. That's why it was stuffed for a loss. Call itself was fine.

Some possibilities:
[...]
4. Poor pass-protection. Same logic as above. If you aren't as good at protecting the QB as the other guy, good chance they're going to go with the other guy.
[...]

Pass blocking for RBs becomes exponentially more complicated at each level.

I'm guessing that with our offense, it's even more challenging. First, there's the speed at which everything happens, so that in seconds, you have to understand what the play is, what your responsibilities will be against several defensive pass rush schemes, and possibly sometimes, also have to hear and process what blocking calls the center is making for the line--because ultimately, you're picking up whoever the line misses or intentionally allows through.

Add to that if the play is changed a second time at the LOS... becoming a reliable back could be quite a challenge.

I know one of the features of CJH's offense is its "simplicity" for the QB, but that just means a great way to defend it is to create ways to complicate it for other positions, and hopefully force mental errors.

He is struggling with pad level right now. He’s lost deep in the depth chart behind a walk-on atm because of it.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
On the bench as a 5th string running back…
I thought he looked sharp with the limited play time he got last year and during the spring game (if my memory is good). I was looking forward to seeing him play this year.

There was nothing wrong with that shotgun play call. It was seven blockers on seven defenders. Good call. But it was mis-executed by three players who didn't block the right people. That's why it was stuffed for a loss. Call itself was fine.
Agree to disagree. I don't care how many blockers you have. I believe in the traditional under center power run inside the five and also believe a big boy is best to tote the rock in that situation. Granted I wouldn't be mad if they scored out of shotgun, but I just don't think it's a wise thing to do unless you're physically weak and have rely on speed. In either event I do think a bigger running back is better in short yardage inside the tackles typically.

He was a QB in high school. Maybe this has all been a smokescreen and he is going to make his debut at QB against Florida and catch them off guard.

Reactions: Wireless1

VN Store

Back