Where does your user name come from?

norrislakevol

There was an old thread that I found about this, but VN has added so many users since then, plus some of the old posts were converted to gibberish in places...at least on my PC. So, where does your user name come from? Mine, like others is obvious. Some however, I cannot figure out for the life of me.

I live up close to Norris lake and spend a lot of time on that body of water. If you have ever been down Loyston Point Road headed to the lake you will see a nice little farm on the right with great views. That is all family land, and I live in a house back in the woods on that land. What about you all?

Back in the day, I was on the whatever-it-was Knoxville News-Sentinel forum that started demanding $$$. About that time, I moved to the SF Bay Area. Don’t @ me, I loved it, it was gorgeous, amazing geography, wonderful people, never been happier.

But it’s not exactly a Mecca of college football.

If the Vols had been halfway-decent, I could maybe have watched them at, say, 9 am or 12:30 or something equally ridic. But this was 2000-2001, and no one was broadcasting our games, at all. So I found VN, switched over to follow UT football, and there’s my username.

I’m now just over the mountains in blessed-by-God Asheville NC, but I’m not going to try to change my username - happy to go by Exie. Go Vols.

I am a woodworker by trade and deal with quarter sawn white oak quite frequently, especially for myself.
We have a hundred-year-old Craftsman/ Arts and Crafts house, and quarter-sawn oak is dearly desired around here (Asheville NC).

cracked4vols wasn’t available.
Oh dude, don't even. Cracked was a sad knockoff of Mad and had none of the moxie.

Seriously tho, it's funny, I was just saying to my 13yo daughter yesterday (I'm an old dad, 57) that she would have loved Mad magazine. She has a humor sensibility very similar to mine and I absolutely loved that magazine.

Reactions: MAD and VolFaninFla
Started as ihatethebuckeys as I lived in ohio and was from TN and buckeye fans are the most annoying fan base on the earth.

Changed to neocon as a joke. Not a neocon and the joke grew stale for me eventually and shortened to Neo. Not a fan of the matrix though. Just the term neo as it means revived or new.

My favourite avocation is the study of history. I spent a lot of time studying the history of Tsarist Russia ä. Hence my nickname. If I were logging on for the first time now, with my emphasis on pre WWI European History and the train wreck that resulted in the broken modern world, I would probably be the OrangeKaiser 😂
Interesting tidbit, Tsar and Kaiser are both derived from the same Latin root of Caesar

Oh dude, don't even. Cracked was a sad knockoff of Mad and had none of the moxie.

Seriously tho, it's funny, I was just saying to my 13yo daughter yesterday (I'm an old dad, 57) that she would have loved Mad magazine. She has a humor sensibility very similar to mine and I absolutely loved that magazine.
Yeah, I’m 58. Bought MAD every month in the 70’s, don’t think I ever bought Cracked.

My favorite dog ever....and since he began his service the same year that my youngest began at UT, then it was meant to be.

I spend most of my waking hours taking care of children. Undergrad x2 majors and med school at UT.

My early plan was to be a retina surgeon until a pre-med trip to St. Jude's changed my life.

that is certainly understandable. St. Jude changes so many lives...

Reactions: kiddiedoc
The irony of mine is when people read "K-town" they probably assume Knoxville but I'm actually in Kingsport. And no one calls Kingsport K-town lol.

Also I was 16 years old when I created that username. I am now 33. I'm the small generation that grew up both with and without the internet, I am thankful for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: tntar heel

VN Store

Back