When will Garrett Crochet make his debut?

Volunteer08

I saw an interesting scout article on Fansided that got me really excited to see his stuff. Here is the snippet regarding Crochet...

Garrett Crochet is a hard-throwing, left-handed pitcher from the University of Tennesee. Crochet is well put together, standing at 6’6″, 220 lbs. But if pitching success was tied directly to how impressive your physique was, CC Sabathia is just a guy you’ve never heard of.
But Crochet not only backs up the impressive size, but his stuff has the potential to land him in the “Ace” tier of pitchers in a handful of years. Crochet’s fastball sat between 92-95 last spring, with reports that he sat at 96-100 for most of fall ball. Crochet also has the ability to spin his fastball at near-elite spin rates, making his already impressive pitch play up even more.
With a potential 80-grade fastball, Crochet doesn’t need much more than a couple of average offerings to make him at least a solid #3 type of starter. And as luck would have it, Crochet has just that. In fact, his changeup is already considered well-above-average, and some believe it can become his second plus offering.

I know he was scratched this last series - does anyone know how serious that issue is? What are the chances he starts a game at the Round Rock Class? Do you think we bring him in for a couple innings Tuesday and bring him back Sunday?

I saw an interesting scout article on Fansided that got me really excited to see his stuff. Here is the snippet regarding Crochet...

Garrett Crochet is a hard-throwing, left-handed pitcher from the University of Tennesee. Crochet is well put together, standing at 6’6″, 220 lbs. But if pitching success was tied directly to how impressive your physique was, CC Sabathia is just a guy you’ve never heard of.
But Crochet not only backs up the impressive size, but his stuff has the potential to land him in the “Ace” tier of pitchers in a handful of years. Crochet’s fastball sat between 92-95 last spring, with reports that he sat at 96-100 for most of fall ball. Crochet also has the ability to spin his fastball at near-elite spin rates, making his already impressive pitch play up even more.
With a potential 80-grade fastball, Crochet doesn’t need much more than a couple of average offerings to make him at least a solid #3 type of starter. And as luck would have it, Crochet has just that. In fact, his changeup is already considered well-above-average, and some believe it can become his second plus offering.

I know he was scratched this last series - does anyone know how serious that issue is? What are the chances he starts a game at the Round Rock Class? Do you think we bring him in for a couple innings Tuesday and bring him back Sunday?
I’d be really surprised if he pitches this weekend. It isn’t serious though. Been diagnosed just needs some rest. Good news is some guys are getting some more innings. The time off might make Crochet fresher for a long run in May and June.

Going to go out on a limb here and say that I don't think you want to throw a potential first rounder when he has some "concerns" particularly when the weather is in the 30's. I can also attest that the games that I was watching last year … he can bring it and is worth the price of admission. Coach Tony V gets it and will not pitch him and will not risk Crochets future until he is ready.

Going to go out on a limb here and say that I don't think you want to throw a potential first rounder when he has some "concerns" particularly when the weather is in the 30's. I can also attest that the games that I was watching last year … he can bring it and is worth the price of admission. Coach Tony V gets it and will not pitch him and will not risk Crochets future until he is ready.

I’d assume the weather will be much better than the 30s this weekend

Is that wrong ?

Reactions: RollerVol
giphy.gif

No reason to rush it. After first 4 games we should all feel pretty good about the pitching. Let’s get him back by SEC and roll. He and Sewell will shore is up when ready.
I agree with you. There are several options as we have seen. Dallas, Leath, Wallace and Hunley have all been dealin’. I’d be good with any of those guys on the bump this weekend.

You guys are underestimating the value of the preSEC schedule and it’s value both for success and for health. The longer he goes without throwing the more chance a serious injury occurs if he’s thrown into the SEC mix without any “spring training”.

You guys are underestimating the value of the preSEC schedule and it’s value both for success and for health. The longer he goes without throwing the more chance a serious injury occurs if he’s thrown into the SEC mix without any “spring training”.
He threw yesterday. He should be back soon. This isn’t Frank Anderson and CTV’s first rodeo. I know CTV talked yesterday in the interview of a similar situation with Max Scherzer when he was at Mizzou. They will make sure he is built up in spring training mode before the SEC. Your point is 100 percent correct though with valuing pre sec for success and pitch count buildup.

He threw yesterday. He should be back soon. This isn’t Frank Anderson and CTV’s first rodeo. I know CTV talked yesterday in the interview of a similar situation with Max Scherzer when he was at Mizzou. They will make sure he is built up in spring training mode before the SEC. Your point is 100 percent correct though with valuing pre sec for success and pitch count buildup.

To point out my post wasn’t regarding any kind of distrust with the coaches.
My post was regarding the posters here saying just hold him out until SEC play.

To point out my post wasn’t regarding any kind of distrust with the coaches.
My post was regarding the posters here saying just hold him out until SEC play.
Yeah def can’t do that. Pitch count has to be built up. Wasn’t insinuating you had distrust in the coaches. Sorry if it came across that way.

VN Store

Back