When/Why did you become a TN fan?

VolforFootball

I like pizza
I wrote this in another thread, but it made me curious to hear all of your stories.

I was 9 when we won the NC and didn’t really watch football at the time as my family really only watched Baseball. The only reason I started to watch football was because my mom remarried to a man who is a Colts fan, which led to me becoming a Colts and Peyton fan during his rookie season. As a result of being a Peyton fan, I began watching TN since that’s where he went to college.

I grew up in LC and the 1st game I remember going to was Utah in 1979.

My 1st real memory came a year later when UT played Southern Cal. My 2 brothers and I had little league games that day in Kingston and somehow we still made it in time to go to the game. I can still see the USC kicker hitting that FG at the end of the game. UT lost but I was hooked. Sitting in section W that night.

Last edited:
My Dad was a lifelong fan so I was born with Orange Blood. Growing up listening, watching and going to games with my Dad are special memories and highlights of my life.
This exactly.

My Dad grew up in Athens, TN. He got a job with TVA and move to Bama before I was born.

I tell every single person that asks that question the same exact thing....... my Dad raised me right.

I grew up in the heart of Alabama but never really got into football. I’m a girl, after all.

Anyways, I was accepted to grad school at UT and Alabama. I decided to go to UT as I hated Tuscaloosa. As a grad student and assistant in the business department, I got to know many of the football players as they were in my accounting 101 courses. I was hooked. I went from not caring about football to buying season tickets after graduation. I had them for many years until we had two little kids and moved 6 hours away from Knoxville.

Grew up in Bristol. 10 YRs old, My Dad took me to my first game in 1983, Vols beat LSU. Hooked ever since. Have traveled to see them play coast to coast, from UCLA to Miami... likely not this year, maybe not next, but the Power T will be proud again one day. They will always be my team.

I don't remember when. I grew up in a UT household. I guess the why would revert back to my dad and our family tradition. Never missed watching a game on Saturday. My dad still wears his UT gear every Saturday. His voldom and infectious attitude rubbed off on me.

When I was a kid, my neighbor up the street was a Vols fan. He was a little older than me and I looked up to him. I've lived in Tennessee most of my life but only "followed" the Vols through him. That all changed in 1985 with the Sugar Vols. That win stoked my fandom and I've been a fan ever since.

I was 8 years old when I first seen a UT game and I thought it was cool. I was 10 when I seen Heath Shuler play for the first time. He ruined me I was hooked immediately

Kentucky basketball, that's what got me. I was born and raised in Kentucky, and everyone is a die hard cat fan. They lost a basketball game, and I remember everyone crying how they were cheated, and something inside just snapped. All of our local channels came out of Knoxville, and I started watching Tennessee, and fell in love. I'm branded a traitor, but don't care 😆

I think a lot of us were born into it or it was distilled into us from someone we looked up to. This is something that a lot of non college football people or fans of non sec teams just don't understand. We have a proud culture and is what makes it special.

Reactions: joevol33
I wrote this in another thread, but it made me curious to hear all of your stories.

I was 9 when we won the NC and didn’t really watch football at the time as my family really only watched Baseball. The only reason I started to watch football was because my mom remarried to a man who is a Colts fan, which led to me becoming a Colts and Peyton fan during his rookie season. As a result of being a Peyton fan, I began watching TN since that’s where he went to college.

Raised on Vols. Started really paying attention in the mid-80s. WIVK was only station my Dad could pick up in his younger days and they had a daily Vol update with Gus Manning way back in the day

Reactions: vols40
I love these stories. Dating myself here but I used to play football with neighborhood friends and I'd play the role of Condredge Holloway for Tennessee. That's where it began. Then, of course, going to UT for undergrad and getting free tickets cemented my fandom. Even though I went on to the University of South Florida for Grad School, no school replaces Tennessee. They're burned in as my team no matter how bad things get. As an aside, neither of my parents went to Tennessee and neither watched sports.

My grandmother grew up in Mascot, TN and my first football memories were of watching Vol football with my grandparents while I grew up in Indiana. This was late-70's. All I wanted growing up was to go to UT, which I finally did. Now a proud (most of the time) alum.

Since birth !

I remember hearing ol Rocky Top while's ins't my momma's womb. I knew we-in's wast at a UT game from all the up and a downin' momma did while a cheering. I remember the doctor telling her at check ups that he went to Vanderbilt.

Whens I was a born, and the ol doc wast about to smack my behind.....I reached up and grabbed that sum-a-na-bytch's arm, and said, "Not today Commodare.....Not today! Go Vols!"

Every bit of this here story is true that I just made up....

VN Store

Back