When UT made the top 10

GTBATV

Josh Pate is now on 247, and has his late kick show back. Anyways, this is just a little video of when we almost were back on top. Heartbreaking in my opinion. But maybe something to watch in the down time.

Reactions: give_him 6
the hornblower was in over his head , with our schedule he would NEVER be in the top ten consistently

Notice all the offers he has had even after wee little Nickey's image rehab program

the hornblower was in over his head , with our schedule he would NEVER be in the top ten consistently

Notice all the offers he has had even after wee little Nickey's image rehab program

Fulmer never got any serious looks after UT either. That has always surprised me, even if they thought he was exposed without Cutcliff, the guy could flat out recruit. I would’ve thought a program in need of a roster upgrade would take a chance on him with the stipulation he hire a top notch OC

Reactions: HooahVol and CA_Vol
If he wasn’t a liar, creep, or stubborn sure he’d have been successful.

He wasn’t close.

Reactions: CA_Vol
On VN.com, and throughout humanity in general, we like our heroes and villains to wear all white or all black, thank you very much.

Butch is more complicated than just the "loser, trumpet-blowing, used car salesman" anti-coach you might think if you knew nothing but what's written in VN.com about him these days. He may be classless, but he's not a complete idiot. He may not be the right coach for our program or any other P5 school, but he's not without some knowledge of how to coach the game of football.

In short, to be accurate about him you'd need a lot more shades of grey than pure white or black.

But we don't like to hear or think about it that way, heh. It hurts our head. :)

On VN.com, and throughout humanity in general, we like our heroes and villains to wear all white or all black, thank you very much.

Butch is more complicated than just the "loser, trumpet-blowing, used car salesman" anti-coach you might think if you knew nothing but what's written in VN.com about him these days. He may be classless, but he's not a complete idiot. He may not be the right coach for our program or any other P5 school, but he's not without some knowledge of how to coach the game of football.

In short, to be accurate about him you'd need a lot more shades of grey than pure white or black.

But we don't like to hear or think about it that way, heh. It hurts our head. :)
Butch was more a politician than a football coach. He was more worried about his reputation than anything else. Butch also never understood the stakes of SEC football. He thought simply having a winning record most years was good enough. He recruited well but alienated a lot of players because he always told people what he thought they wanted to hear instead of just being straight with them. Great recruiter, terrible developer of talent and head coach for a major program.

Reactions: LordBolton
Fulmer never got any serious looks after UT either. That has always surprised me, even if they thought he was exposed without Cutcliff, the guy could flat out recruit. I would’ve thought a program in need of a roster upgrade would take a chance on him with the stipulation he hire a top notch OC
I thought I remember Fulmer saying he had some offers and strong interest from some other programs after he was fired from UT. Maybe Louisville or UCONN ??

False...he had offers, but none he was interested in taking. Straight from him.

Butch did a good job riding Brian Kelly's coattails and maintaining Kelly's success

Butch did a good job taking advantage of several tailwinds (UF down, SC going down, UGA down, in state talent explosion). Once those tailwinds disappeared, it was proven he was in over his head.

I thought I remember Fulmer saying he had some offers and strong interest from some other programs after he was fired from UT. Maybe Louisville or UCONN ??

Fulmer was a fantastic recruiter and a mediocre at best overall coach. He was smart enough early on to surround himself with top talent, but toward the end was just skating on his prior accomplishments.

I doubt he had any real offers.

Not being anti-Fulmer at all, but let's keep it real here. Some coaches get hungrier with each win (ala Saban), and some hit their goal and coast (ala Fulmer). People are just different.

Reactions: vettefool
If he wasn’t a liar, creep, or stubborn sure he’d have been successful.

He wasn’t close.

He was also too conservative as a HC. His game plan became predictable along with his play calling.

I’m not sure about all the other, but it sure seems that way.

Maybe my take is odd to some and I'm sure its crafted partly by my time in the media but the line about the media developing "his story" is so true. CBJ had major issues obviously. BUT the media will never let their narrative get entangled in the truth. NEVER!. And sports media is no different. People who know (and matter for that fact) knew the foundation of UT football was not solid. At all. Regardless of what the causal fan hears and gobbles down by the media. So the expectations got higher and higher and the foundation got weaker and weaker. Clearly some here will not understand this take and that's ok too. JMO of course.

Reactions: Boca Vol
First post!

Butch would have been fine had he known how to call plays!

Wide receiver screened ourselves to death!

Flood plays on the goaline.

Conservative play calling like the 2015 Florids and Oklahoma games and several other instances.

He wasn't ready for the big time and his gimmicky yankeedoodle Central Michigan play calling was a tennessee travesty!

First post!

Butch would have been fine had he known how to call plays!

Wide receiver screened ourselves to death!

Flood plays on the goaline.

Conservative play calling like the 2015 Florids and Oklahoma games and several other instances.

He wasn't ready for the big time and his gimmicky yankeedoodle Central Michigan play calling was a tennessee travesty![/QUOTE
No offense, but he was not gonna be fine. The show was always wayyyy too big for him. You can’t lie to recruits and you can’t show favorites or mistreat your players as a coach. His discipline was a joke! Our size in the SEC was a joke! And the biggest joke was the offense he put on the field. If Dobbs hadn’t had a huge heart, he wouldn’t have made it past year 3. He was an awful leader and had no business being head coach here. Couple that with the awful Athletic directors we have had, there was no chance for success.

Last edited:
I may have gone out on a limb saying he would have been fine. I guess I'm saying, if he had the ability to call plays that made sense, then we probably win the East in 15, and 16. As far as play calling goes, even people who didnt watch football would be like "what the hell are they doing!?!?"

Arguably HE would have been fine had he the ability to not be a damn fool. We would have been a little less in the dumpster.

Still would have collapsed eventually. We would not have been in as dire straits at least, upon Butch getting the axe. Would have been easier to resurrect the program.

Glad where we are now though.

Reactions: MAD
Fulmer was a fantastic recruiter and a mediocre at best overall coach. He was smart enough early on to surround himself with top talent, but toward the end was just skating on his prior accomplishments.

I doubt he had any real offers.

Not being anti-Fulmer at all, but let's keep it real here. Some coaches get hungrier with each win (ala Saban), and some hit their goal and coast (ala Fulmer). People are just different.

PF was a good HC with a good cast of assistant especially DCut. The thing he had going for him was sans Spurrier the rest of the SEC HC 's were mediocre.
The SEC is loaded with top HC's now more than I have ever seen.

Reactions: VolInNW

VN Store

Back