When the day comes who is our next mens bb coach?

Barnes and I are the same age. That doesn’t give me PERSONAL insight...but I can say many men at this age still feel good...but have had a glimpse (foretelling?) of the not too distant future. That is envisioned by me as the time to wrap things up—move on to leisure, fun activities and family time. No speaking commitments, no road trips for playing or recruiting, no long hours, no schmoozing with big boosters, no fan expectations to carry on your shoulders, etc. It‘s just a guess...he‘ll retire at the end of the ‘22-23 season. IMO. He deserves the biggest of “thank you’s”. Relevant again...sweet words.

And we wonder why we can't have anything good here. Men's basketball has been the only consistently good thing we have had here for a long time and people are talking about Coach Barnes replacement.

Worst fanbase in the entire world.

I could see either Bruce or Donnie redux.
Given the right roster, either one could do great things with the facilities that UT has.

Rick Barnes is basically the same age as Tom Izzo and is younger than FSU head coach Leonard Hamilton, and I haven't heard much in the way about either of those guys retiring any time soon.

I mean I'm not nearly as plugged in to those programs as UT, but still. Barnes has a chance to be here until his contract runs out in 2024 or even longer.

IMO, the ideal answer to this question would be a former assistant coach who has successfully built his school into a powerhouse within his respective conference, has covered or exceeded expectations in the post-season, and is still on an upward trajectory. That could potentially be any one of a number of guys at the moment.

Reactions: Volfan1000
What’s the fascination with Steve Forbes?

He should be way down the list for peaks sake.
WF head coach Steve Forbes will be one of the guys interviewed along with Georgia State head coach Rob Lanier and very possibly ETSU head coach Desmond Oliver. The successor to Rick Barnes will be a retread head coach,a rising star mid-major head coach or a well thought of assistant coach.

There are lots of good coaches that would win big here. They just gotta find a right one and not have the program dangling on a cliff when they are looking for one.

VN Store

Back