When scrimmages start, would you prefer....

rockydoc

....the defense ahead of offense or vice versa? (Ordinarily I'd prefer defense be ahead of offense but with the money and hoopla invested in Chaney, I will be disappointed if offense cannot move the ball.)

I prefer real games...

And even MORE...WINNING real games.

tenor.gif

Reactions: lynnh
Defense should be alright. Offense needs to be lightyears ahead with things like sustaining drives, scoring points, coverting 3rd downs, etc.

....the defense ahead of offense or vice versa? (Ordinarily I'd prefer defense be ahead of offense but with the money and hoopla invested in Chaney, I will be disappointed if offense cannot move the ball.)
I hope the defense is ahead of the offense.. Not because of the offense having a lot of issues.. But more so that the defense is solid and the offense has to really work hard against the defense where nothing is easy when running plays..

Passing Game:

Would like to see about a 50/50 split of plays for each side, with maybe a slight lean in favor of the defense.

This with the caveat that the defense's good plays be due to tight coverage and not JG's mis-throws or blocking mishaps. We already know the immense talent of the receiving corps, so their dominance would only show that the secondary and LBs in pass coverage aren't quite as good as we had hoped.

Running Game:

This early on, it would be best if the Offense were getting the better of the Defense, by a decent but not more than 70/30 split.

Due to the questions on both sides of the ball, the OL putting on a strong, but not quite dominating showing would be best. Despite what CJP has said in regards to not having a starting lineup, there's at least been the continuity of having all players present, many of whom have real, in-game experience. This should result in a stronger performance. Unlike, the DL which has already gone through attrition and is full of talented, but lesser-experienced players. Also, a lot of our LBs are new. As long as the DL isn't getting blown off the ball, a lot of running game issues can be fixed with better LB fits and reads.

A disparity between the two will be easier to fix from the Defensive side, at this point, as they still need more coaching up to do than the OL should.

I'm going to think about it today, but, the wood burning smell will be the baby back ribs on the BGE and not my thought process. At least for today!

You ain't eaten nuthin til you've had BBQ (not grilled) bison ribs smoked with the help of Stubb's Original Bar-B-Q Sauce with about a TBs of cayenne powder added in it to give it a bit more bite. Served with pan-fried corn pone, turnip greens, mashed sweet potato, and roasted yellow squash. In the absence of bison ribs, elk or moose ribs is just as good. Be warned, moose meat is hard, hard, hard to come by.

Reactions: RollerVol
You ain't eaten nuthin til you've had BBQ (not grilled) bison ribs smoked with the help of Stubb's Original Bar-B-Q Sauce with about a TBs of cayenne powder added in it to give it a bit more bite. Served with pan-fried corn pone, turnip greens, mashed sweet potato, and roasted yellow squash. In the absence of bison ribs, elk or moose ribs is just as good. Be warned, moose meat is hard, hard, hard to come by.
I'm down. What time's dinner??!!!

I just want to see JG given a fighting chance and let him go to work. Any other improvement is bonus material.

I'm down. What time's dinner??!!!

Haha. I truly wish I had the dough to haul about 150lbs of such meat and accompanying food to do a big tailgate at a Neyland game. I'd bet my site would be the most popular, memorious and talked about tailgate for decades to come. Seriously, Shirley and I do this type of eating from time to time. Usually on holidays.

Reactions: Vol Main
Haha. I truly wish I had the dough to haul about 150lbs of such meat and accompanying food to do a big tailgate at a Neyland game. I'd bet my site would be the most popular, memorious and talked about tailgate for decades to come. Seriously, Shirley and I do this type of eating from time to time. Usually on holidays.
To be honest, I'm not too adventurous with my diet - especially when it comes to meat. We once dropped in on some friends in Western Carolina and Faye was cooking bear stew. Of course, we were offered some. I took a sample and and, while it was deliciously dark and rich, I couldn't get the bear out of my head. Somedays you eat the bear and others the bear eats you, I've heard tell.

To be honest, I'm not too adventurous with my diet - especially when it comes to meat. We once dropped in on some friends in Western Carolina and Faye was cooking bear stew. Of course, we were offered some. I took a sample and and, while it was deliciously dark and rich, I couldn't get the bear out of my head. Somedays you eat the bear and others the bear eats you, I've heard tell.

I have my limits too. In Arizona, I had a friend who hunted and cooked rattlesnake. No thank you. I like alternatives to beef and poultry from similar wild animals. And of course fish. I avoid calamari, too rubbery.

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
I have my limits too. In Arizona, I had a friend who hunted and cooked rattlesnake. No thank you. I like alternatives to beef and poultry from similar wild animals. And of course fish. I avoid calamari, too rubbery.
I've heard that to properly cook calimari, cook it a short time (flash fry!) Or cook it a long time. Oh, and Go Vols!!!

Reactions: WoodsmanVol
The defense is almost always ahead of the offense early in camp. Playing defense relies more on instinct and the offense takes time to develop timing and cohesion.

I've had some rattlesnake bites before that tasted pretty good, a lot better than gator bites.

BBQ goat is good too.

Good quality and well cooked Calamari isn't rubbery. You just need to find the right restaurant.

Elk Jerky is the gold standard of gamey food if you ask me.

VN Store

Back