When do Oklahoma and Texas come and how immediately will it affect our schedule?

2025 at the latest but I think the SEC and B12 reach an agreement for 2023 season. It will involve $$ for leaving B12 and SEC support for B12 staying a P5 and getting a good TV Contract. If the SEC has to wait until 2025 then they may let the B12 sink like the Bismark!

The window for them playing this year is all but gone. Not that SEC doesn't have a schedule ready if a last-minute agreement could be reached. But a last-minute switch would really throw a wrench in ticket sales.

IMO the easiest thing to do is just up the conference schedule to 10 games and keep the two division format.

When do Oklahoma and Texas come and how immediately will it affect our schedule?

It’s gonna be a heck of a lot harder……
It sucks having Tex and Ok in the SEC.

Those two, plus Mizz, Ark, A&M need to kiss and make up…….and reform the Big12

Hopefully they get rid of divisions and go to a 9 game schedule. You get 3 rivals, and rotate 6 teams every year, play every team home and away twice every 4 years. Then, personally, for the championship, I wanna see a plus 1 playoff, So top 4 teams in conference playoff to determine SEC champ.

Oil is big money, sure, but the days of it and steel and railroads being a dominant form of Big Money, those are past.

The richest folks in the US--and the world--these days (fellows like Musk, Bezos, Gates, etc.) tend to be tied to computers and other high tech, not oil.

No need to be afraid of the schools with oil money behind them. They're just another group with rich supporters. Kind of like us.

As for Saban, I'm hoping WE run him into retirement. :)
Computer nerds don’t tend to support sports…

Reactions: Volatility
I have said it before, NIL is going to bring an end to running the table. College football will look more like college basketball. National champions are going to have some losses because the talent is going to be spread more evenly. It is a good thing for college football. It is a good thing for the Vols.
Whoever can buy the best QB will be the at the top. Good for the vols indeed.

Reactions: SpookyAction
And North Carolina will go nowhere without NC State, Duke, and perhaps Wake Forest. Not because the Tarheel alumni love their intra-state rivals so much, but because North Carolina political leaders will not let those schools be separated.

I could see the SEC getting Va Tech one day. But not the North Carolina schools. Not unless we got all of them. And that's bigger than conference expansion; that's forming an entirely new tier of Division I

I can see Va Tech, but not UNC. I think NC State or possibly GA Tech returning to the SEC as a better fit.

Right now, I think we should play Vandy twice each season until we can get our talent level up on par with Georgia and Alabama. LOL!

Reactions: #Vol4Life1991
I liked that too. Tn, Ky, Vandy and SC in north, Fla,ga,Bama,aub,in East, lsu,miss, miss st, ark in south, and tx, am, ok, mo in west.

The problem is that you can quite realistically lose a lot of rivalry games with the pods (and fanbases are going to throw an absolute ****fit without them). No way to keep teams playing yearly if they're in different pods, my dude. The pods you set up takes away the Third Saturday in October right off, keeps "the world's largest cocktail party" and "the egg bowl", whatever Texas/Oklahoma is called, and I'm sure I'm missing another.

This dude actually did a lot of leg work with the pods, but you run into the same problem no matter what: https://fifthquarter.net/news/2021/...stem-would-look-like-with-oklahoma-and-texas/

Cliffs notes: Proposed 4-team pods, version 1.0 (Tennessee would keep TSIO and Vandy, but lose UGA and UF every year)

UF/UGA/UK/USCjr
Bama/Auburn/UT/Vandy
LSU/MissSt/OM/TAMU
Ark/Mizzou/Texas/Oklahoma

Version 2.0 (there goes TSIO and beating the **** out of the red-headed stepkids in Nashville yearly)

UGA/UF/UT/USCjr
Bama/Auburn/Ole Miss/MissSt
Ark/Mizzou/Kentucky/Vandy
LSU/TAMU/OU/Texas

Version 3.0 (the one where Bama cries "not fair", and we lose TSIO again along with UF and UGA)

UGA/UF/Bama/Auburn
LSU/MissSt/OM/Ark
USCjr/UK/Vandy/UT
TAMU/Texas/OU/Mizzou

Version 4.0 (the one that won't happen because there's not a snowball's chance in hell they cancel the Iron Bowl, oh, and we still lose TSIO, UF, and UGA)

UGA/UF/Auburn/USCjr
Bama/LSU/OM/MissSt
UT/Mizzou/UK/Vandy
Texas/TAMU/OU/Ark

Don't get me wrong, I like the "pod" idea, and think it'd be cool to be able to rotate through all the teams at Neyland once every 4 years (that's with playing each of the three teams in your pod, two games against teams in the other three pods, which makes a nine-game conference schedule). Like dude said on that site, there just ain't a way to make it happen without costing some team somewhere.

The problem is that you can quite realistically lose a lot of rivalry games with the pods (and fanbases are going to throw an absolute ****fit without them). No way to keep teams playing yearly if they're in different pods, my dude. The pods you set up takes away the Third Saturday in October right off, keeps "the world's largest cocktail party" and "the egg bowl", whatever Texas/Oklahoma is called, and I'm sure I'm missing another.

This dude actually did a lot of leg work with the pods, but you run into the same problem no matter what: https://fifthquarter.net/news/2021/...stem-would-look-like-with-oklahoma-and-texas/

Cliffs notes: Proposed 4-team pods, version 1.0 (Tennessee would keep TSIO and Vandy, but lose UGA and UF every year)

UF/UGA/UK/USCjr
Bama/Auburn/UT/Vandy
LSU/MissSt/OM/TAMU

Version 2.0 (there goes TSIO and beating the **** out of the red-headed stepkids in Nashville yearly)

UGA/UF/UT/USCjr
LSU/TAMU/OU/Texas

Version 3.0 (the one where Bama cries "not fair", and we lose TSIO again along with UF and UGA)

UGA/UF/Bama/Auburn
LSU/MissSt/OM/Ark
USCjr/UK/Vandy/UT
TAMU/Texas/OU/Mizzou

Version 4.0 (the one that won't happen because there's not a snowball's chance in hell they cancel the Iron Bowl, oh, and we still lose TSIO, UF, and UGA)

UGA/UF/Auburn/USCjr
Bama/LSU/OM/MissSt
UT/Mizzou/UK/Vandy
Texas/TAMU/OU/Ark

Don't get me wrong, I like the "pod" idea, and think it'd be cool to be able to rotate through all the teams at Neyland once every 4 years (that's with playing each of the three teams in your pod, two games against teams in the other three pods, which makes a nine-game conference schedule). Like dude said on that site, there just ain't a way to make it happen without costing some team somewhere.
The last I heard, they were considering moving to 9 conference games, with each team having 3 permanent opponents (not pods), with each team's permanent opponents not being a group who plays each other in a round robin fashion but rather having different permanent opponents (for example UT could have Bama, UK and Vandy, whereas Bama could have UT, Auburn and Miss State). The remaining 12 teams would rotate, 6 and 6. That way every team would play every other twice in 4 years and every team would have the opportunity to visit the other teams home stadiums every 4 years (except for FL-GA and other teams who choose a neutral site rivalry instead). Bottom line is, you don't HAVE to have pods to have permanent opponents. The pre-1992 SEC had tons of permanent opponents and rotating teams and they weren't all the same. It's doable, and it saves the most rivalries.

Last edited:

UF/UGA/UK/USCjr
Bama/Auburn/UT/Vandy
LSU/MissSt/OM/TAMU

UGA/UF/UT/USCjr
LSU/TAMU/OU/Texas

UGA/UF/Bama/Auburn
LSU/MissSt/OM/Ark
USCjr/UK/Vandy/UT
TAMU/Texas/OU/Mizzou

UGA/UF/Auburn/USCjr
Bama/LSU/OM/MissSt
UT/Mizzou/UK/Vandy
Texas/TAMU/OU/Ark

I wasn’t trying to keep Bama, just trying to get some wins for my Vols. It is only a rivalry when both teams have a chance to beat each other. Tn-Bama is not. Time to get some wins and let some other teams beat up each other.

I wasn’t trying to keep Bama, just trying to get some wins for my Vols. It is only a rivalry when both teams have a chance to beat each other. Tn-Bama is not. Time to get some wins and let some other teams beat up each other.

That's a bold take, bud. There's a lot of folks (not me) on here that'd be ready to fight if the SEC took away TSIO.

UF/UGA/UK/USCjr
Bama/Auburn/UT/Vandy
LSU/MissSt/OM/TAMU

UGA/UF/UT/USCjr
LSU/TAMU/OU/Texas

UGA/UF/Bama/Auburn
LSU/MissSt/OM/Ark
USCjr/UK/Vandy/UT
TAMU/Texas/OU/Mizzou

UGA/UF/Auburn/USCjr
Bama/LSU/OM/MissSt
UT/Mizzou/UK/Vandy
Texas/TAMU/OU/Ark

East: FL, GA, SCAR, KY
North: UT, Vandy, Mizzo, Arky
South: Aub, AL, MissSt, Ole Miss
West aTm, uTa, OK, LSU

or

East: FL, GA, SCAR, Aub
North: UT, Vandy, Mizzo, KY
South: Arky, AL, MissSt, Ole Miss
West aTm, uTa, OK, LSU

3 division games
3 cross division rivals
3 division rotator games

UT crossovers, AL South, uTa West, KY or FL East (KY is the older rivalry)
Division Rotators:
2023: South: TN plays Aub, MissSt and Ole Miss plus crossovers AL, KY, uTa and 3 division games: Vandy, Mizzou and Arky. 9 games total
2024: East: TN plays UGA, FL, SCAR plus AL, KY and uTa crossover rivals plus Vandy, Mizzou and Arky
2025: West: TN plays aTm, LSU, OK plus AL, KY and uTa crossover rivals plus Vandy, Mizzou and Arky

Every 3 years we play the other 15 teams.

Reactions: DeusExMachina
I'd be cool with Bama and Barn coming to the East while Mizzou, TX, and OU play in the west. We play Bama every year anyway and used to play Auburn every year before East and West split in 92.

VN Store

Back