What's Your Updated Coaching "Hotboard"?

Kiffin all day long. He does not care about back lash and can handle media. Players love him and he will be quickly forgiven if he wins and recruits well. He wants a crack at Saban

Reactions: 1 person
For me it depends on who had been seriously contacted before Schiano. If TENN only asked a couple of other coaches, they may still have good options. The problem is the PR nightmare they have created may make them try to act too quickly and get out of the spotlight. If they go lower tier, I'd go with a 4 yr deal for $2M + incentives with an extension based on meeting certain criteria. Just don't hire and pay too much, with a long term contract, that kills the program for 5 or 6 more years. Maybe an FCS coach or Power 5 coordinator. They still are in control unless they panic.

For me it depends on who had been seriously contacted before Schiano. If TENN only asked a couple of other coaches, they may still have good options. The problem is the PR nightmare they have created may make them try to act too quickly and get out of the spotlight. If they go lower tier, I'd go with a 4 yr deal for $2M + incentives with an extension based on meeting certain criteria. Just don't hire and pay too much, with a long term contract, that kills the program for 5 or 6 more years. Maybe an FCS coach or Power 5 coordinator. They still are in control unless they panic.

Best way to get out of the PR nightmare is to fire Currie immediately and bring Blackburn in to hire a new coach. Currie should not be allowed to leave campus until he has his belongings packed and hope the door hits him in the a$$ as he leaves.

Yeah
No les
Who wants a guy who has coached big games in the SEC,played for two NC and won one
No way he can coach

Well we know absolutely nothing about who, if anyone else was considered,contacted, offered Regardless of what’s been reported so , assuming none of these have and nothing about not leaving where they are means anything (right Ms St.)
And no a UT connection is not required, that has been limiting us for to damn long with little benefit!!
Frost- make him an offer he can’t refuse
Peterson- same as frost
Norvell- could be great, floor, at least were best in state and not 3rd
Campbell-better to pay 9 million buyout and get a coach that can beat the boys upfront, than to pay a dud 15 mil to go away 3 years before his contract is up
Leach- fun and enough offense to win 8-9 games a year
Kiffen- probably the only coach that could put us in the playoffs and cocky enough not to worry about career suicide to actually take the job

Lol at all of the above except Sumlin. We aren’t pulling anyone this year who can get even a lateral job next year. Getting real:

Mike Riley
Kliff Kingsbury
Kevin Sumlin
Bret Bielema
MAYBE
Mike Norvell

Best way to get out of the PR nightmare is to fire Currie immediately and bring Blackburn in to hire a new coach. Currie should not be allowed to leave campus until he has his belongings packed and hope the door hits him in the a$$ as he leaves.

Agree but won’t happen so we’re stuck with the idiot that completely f’d up the coaching hire, to hire the next coach!!
Makes the outlook real bright , don’t it?

Tee Martin couldn't handle the UT job
Petrino would be the same as Schiano

Last edited:

Why in the world would Blackburn want to come here now? That’s taking wayyyy too much for granted.

Outside looking in it doesn’t appear anyone else was contacted. I have absolutely no inside information but placing together the pieces in this Sh$# storm it looks like we were selling out on Schiano.

Tee Martin couldn't handle the UT job
Petrino would be the same as Schiano
Petrino put together multiple 10-win seasons and had a top-5 finish at Arkansas, an objectively worse job than UT. He is MUCH better than Schiano

1. Campbell
Then Mike Houston, Tee Martin, Lane Kiffin, Brent Venables, Les Miles would all be on my secondary line.
If it got below that then oh boy.

1. Les Miles
2. Gundy
3. Leach
4. Venables
5. Morris
6. Kiffin no UT buy out if terminated, 10 million if he leaves early

I know people think I’m crazy but the only way Currie can rectify this is if he hires a big coach. And I’ve bedn clamoring for Petersen for forever. He’s attainable but we got to offer up the money and control.

I still go all in on Frost.

From the beginning of realistic options my 3 were Petersen, Frost, Patterson

Now to the realistic candidates.

Kiffin - (don’t hate it but don’t like it either)
Tee - if he’s given money for big time staff.
Venables - Great DC heck of a recruiter.
Brohm - eh I’m not sold but could be worse
Taggart - big time recruiter,has elite staff at Oregon
Leach- weird guy but heck of coach.
Strong- not sure, Texas was bad.

Heck at this point offer him more money than Saban and see what happens...... But prob no way on earth to land a top coach...... AD prob hard to get a lower guy........ Tennessee is going to have to settle or over pay.

I do wish someone would at least try to way over pay for Petersen or Frost..... But don't look for it.

I really thought Petersen was coming..... But it looks like Currie had his man......wow

Why, though?

Be prepared to overpay for someone you don’t want because whoever it is will know they’ll be out of a job in 4 years

I didn’t think you were in the “Dooley position” before, but I think you are now

VN Store

Back