What's the secret to getting along with Boosters?

volberry

Besides winning. We know if you win it's all good. But you need the money and support to get to that point. Fulmer used to have the boosters wrapped around his finger.

People with that much money want to feel valued and important. I'm curious if Jeremy's abrasiveness will hurt him if he's borderline next year

You let the AD, Chancellor, and President take care of booster interaction.
Only do what you are forced to do.

A lot of folks have answered 'W's.'

While I agree that helps, I think the real answer is kissing their asses. 'Wow, Mr Haslem, that is an incredible idea. It's amaaaaaazing how much you know about football. By the way, how is that stadium reno check coming????'

I assume most of the boosters are very good at what they do (or got lucky and were born into it.) After a while, all the money and ass-kissing they receive at the office, country club.....etc incorrectly leads them to believe they must be good at everything including deciding who the next coach should be. UT's record over the last decade strongly suggests they should stick with their day job.

Oh, in addition to smooching butts, access is the other key requirement. These guys must be constantly made to feel 'special' and be able to see just what their donations are getting them. They may claim to 'bleed orange' but I'm pretty sure 'green' is what they actually run on. It is a transaction not a donation.

It’s funny. One of Saban’s biggest demands before taking the Alabama job was minimal dealings with the boosters. If you’re winning, you can tell them to eff off. Start losing, though, and you have a very short rope.

A lot of folks have answered 'W's.'

While I agree that helps, I think the real answer is kissing their asses. 'Wow, Mr Haslem, that is an incredible idea. It's amaaaaaazing how much you know about football. By the way, how is that stadium reno check coming????'

I assume most of the boosters are very good at what they do (or got lucky and were born into it.) After a while, all the money and ass-kissing they receive at the office, country club.....etc incorrectly leads them to believe they must be good at everything including deciding who the next coach should be. UT's record over the last decade strongly suggests they should stick with their day job.

Oh, in addition to smooching butts, access is the other key requirement. These guys must be constantly made to feel 'special' and be able to see just what their donations are getting them. They may claim to 'bleed orange' but I'm pretty sure 'green' is what they actually run on. It is a transaction not a donation.
All rich people have huge egos.
When you get more money than you ever need, then comes the desire for power.
The very definition of a booster.

Reactions: finn
4 NC wins plus 3 in the league. Does 7-5 get him Y5? Does his abrasiveness hurt him there?
Who we talking about? 4 NC wins? CJP has 0 NC as a head coach.
What he does have: losses to UK, Vandy, Arkansas, Georgia ST, a losing record, one of the worst stretches in UT history and more

Who we talking about? 4 NC wins? CJP has 0 NC as a head coach.
What he does have: losses to UK, Vandy, Arkansas, Georgia ST, a losing record, one of the worst stretches in UT history and more
NC =nonconference.

I was setting up the scenario that we'd win our 4 weak NC games plus 3 conference

OP, most people I know (including rich people) hate paying for stupid decisions over and over again. If you want to get along with boosters, get on the same page with them instead of taking the, "shoot, ready, aim" approach!...and holding your hand out AGAIN to pay for a stupid mistake.

- Be 75 years or older.

- Talk about Butch Jones being a "long haired hippie" and that you dig Pruitt's "high & tight" haircut.

- Idea of a "formal dinner" is Calhoun's on the river before 5pm.

- Duckhead over Dockers any day of the week

Most boosters are successful businessmen. They want to see a plan, metrics to judge the plan clearly communicated, and progress along the plan. Hookers and blow are fun, but ultimately, they need to see progress

OP, most people I know (including rich people) hate paying for stupid decisions over and over again. If you want to get along with boosters, get on the same page with them instead of taking the, "shoot, ready, aim" approach!...and holding your hand out AGAIN to pay for a stupid mistake.
Yeah. Good example. If you're winning that takes care of that. But those first couple of years to rebuild they have to believe in you. Somehow.

VN Store

Back