What's the Case for Arizona as last #1?

Looking at ESPN:
On their page I see ONE top 25 opponent for them in conference play.
Looking at ours, I see SIX

Looking at NET (which is big for the selection committee):
They have two Quad 2 losses and and one Quad 3 loss. Nobody all the way down to 16th has one.
We have one Quad 1 loss. That's it.

Looking at KenPom:
Arizona 6th O, 14th D
Tennessee 19th O, 3rd D

The NET and strength of Conference play (the most recent measure of performance) both lean pretty heavily in our direction. Not really sure there is a discussion to be had about who should get the honor of the 4th #1 seed, unless we unravel. But, in my opinion, if we win our last 2, there is definitely no discussion to be had, right?

What are everyone's thoughts?
they aren’t Tennessee. That’s all the reason needed by most media to discount the Vols.

Frankly, I'd rather be the 1st 2 seed than the last 1 seed. If we are last 1 seed, we will be sent out west! Ugh
If the last 1 seed goes out west (say number 4 overall) wouldn't the first 2 seed (say number 5 overall) also go out west?
Would you rather be a 1 seed out west or a two seed out west?

Not that it matters much.

I wish the Quads balanced the NET rankings a bit better.

Going 11-1 against Quad 2/3 and only playing a total of 5 teams outside the NET top 100 should mean more than going 14-3 against the Quad 2/3 with 11 teams being outside net top 100

Vandy/Missouri both being so bad this year hurt the SEC teams that played them a lot.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
If the last 1 seed goes out west (say number 4 overall) wouldn't the first 2 seed (say number 5 overall) also go out west?
Would you rather be a 1 seed out west or a two seed out west?

Not that it matters much.
That's not the way it works. Geography plays a role in where you get slotted as a 2 seed. It doesn't perfectly align with the S-curve rankings. The only way we go out west as a 2 seed is if we're the overall #8 and that's the only region left.

Reactions: gainesvol82
The case for Arizona is that they're 7-3 in Q1 games, including a 4-2 record in Q1A games. They also have a really impressive win at Duke.

Their problem, however, is Tennessee. Tennessee is now 6-4 in Q1A games with just as many overall Q1 wins. Tennessee doesn't have the Q3 wart that Arizona has. And Tennessee sees that road win at Duke and raises them road wins at Kentucky and Alabama.

It certainly wouldn't hurt if they were to lose at UCLA tomorrow, and while we're at it, let's just go ahead and pull for Duke to beat UNC on Saturday. But if we win our last 2 and don't crap the bed in the SEC quarterfinals, I do believe we'll be a 1 seed.
If we beat Kentucky this weekend its game over 1 seed is ours.

After tonight, that question should be answered,but if they go in and take care of business with Kentucky with 8 straight wins in a tough conference, the 1 seed is theirs.

It’s 100% geographical. They need a team from out west to be a #1 seed in the West Region. Arizona has had a good season, but not as good as UT.

We’re now 8-5 in Q1. Arizona is 7-3. North Carolina is 6-4.

Realistically, in a fair world, we would be a 1-seed regardless of whether or not we beat Kentucky. But, I still think we have to win Saturday to lock it up.

VN Store

Back