Whats gonna happen with the polls?

Vol Man

Well we know that everyone shuffled on Monday when the new polls came out since VaTech jumped over LSU to the #3 spot. Are they going to re-do the polls today to account for lastnights game or what? Kinda wondering how they are gonna work that. LSU shouldn't go into their next game ranked #4 ater losing to us, and granted we won't move much but I think we should be at #8 at least. What do ya'll think?

they were 4 in both polls. we were 9 in one ahead of miami and 10 in the other behind miami. i say lsu drops to around 10 and we jump to 8 in the other and either 9 or 8 in the other. i dont see us jumping ohio state just yet, but as long as we win, things will fall into place.

I understand where we should be ranked etc., but my main question is when will that be reflected? I mena the polls have already come out for this week. Are they going to re-do the polls? Or do we go into Sat ranked 10 and LSU still at 4? Kinda seems like we are getting the shaft on this.

What's gonna happen is the Vols are gonna March right up to about 6 and LSU down to 9... LSU will probably stay #1 in the Hurricane Katrina poll...

I bet we are going to get back in the top 5. I have a feeling that texas, florida, and USC may all lose this weekend!

Originally posted by vols2345@Sep 27, 2005 4:01 PM
I bet we are going to get back in the top 5.  I have a feeling that texas, florida, and USC may all lose this weekend!
[snapback]153412[/snapback]​

Who does Texas play this week. If it's Oklahoma,
Texas is toast. All you have to do is throw an Oklahoma jersey out on the field and the Longhorns fold.

Originally posted by volunteer/engineer@Sep 29, 2005 12:37 AM
It is now Thursday morning andthe polls still dont reflect our win, and LSU is still up at #4.  What gives? :huh:
[snapback]154305[/snapback]​

We'll have to wait it out until this Monday.

Originally posted by wncvolfan@Sep 27, 2005 4:53 PM
Who does Texas play this week.  If it's Oklahoma,
Texas is toast.  All you have to do is throw an Oklahoma jersey out on the field and the Longhorns fold.
[snapback]153563[/snapback]​

Dude, Tulsa gave Oklahoma run for their money. And if UCLA's linebackers can shut down Peterson, Texas can for sure.

USC
Texas
Virginia Tech
will all remain 1, 2 & 3

Everyone else is on the outside looking in

Texas plays Missouri. I really don't see a loss there. Next week is Oklahoma for them. Again, I don't see a loss there either. I look for Texas Tech to give them a scare and A&M to try to ruin thier season in the regular season closer.

3 of the 4 computer rankings that currently post have updated after the Tenn-LSU game.

In the Billingsley Report, the Vols moved up from #19 to #10
and LSU dropped from #8 to #13

In the Colley Matrix, the Vols moved up from #46 to #21
and LSU dropped from #19 to #45

In the Sagarin Ratings, the Vols moved up from #27 to #7
and LSU dropped from #2 to #12

The Massey Ratings did not include the game this week,
thus the Vols moved down from #15 to #26
and LSU stayed at #1

Both of the main BCS' "human" polls do not include the game:
The Harris Poll has LSU #5 and the Coaches has them at #4
The Harris Poll has UT at #12 and the Coaches has UT at #9

The current BCS rankings with only 4 computers participating, 3 of them include the Tenn-LSU game and 1 doesn't, the Harris and Coaches don't include the game.....

1 Southern California 3-0
2 Texas 3-0
3 Florida 4-0
4 Florida St 3-0
5 Virginia Tech 4-0
6 Georgia 4-0
7 LSU 1-1
8 Miami-Florida 2-1
9 Ohio State 3-1
10 Tennessee 2-1

Originally posted by donsargegolf@Sep 27, 2005 3:20 PM
It does not matter...yet. Just keep winning.
[snapback]153391[/snapback]​

Well, having Randy hurts us in the polls...right Sarge :birgits_giggle:
We'd probably move ahead of USC if Randy was gone...right Sarge :birgits_giggle:

I guess the polls will not change but I think its just messed up that LSU will go into their game this week-end at #4, and if they win what will happen? Potentially LSU could stay ahead of us, its like we are not even getting credit for beating the #4 team in the nation, and we are going to be graded on beating an un-ranked Ole Miss.

1 Southern California 3-0
2 Texas 3-0
3 Florida 4-0
4 Florida St 3-0
5 Virginia Tech 4-0
6 Georgia 4-0
7 LSU 1-1
8 Miami-Florida 2-1
9 Ohio State 3-1
10 Tennessee 2-1

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by milohimself@Sep 28, 2005 11:45 PM
Dude, Tulsa gave Oklahoma run for their money. And if UCLA's linebackers can shut down Peterson, Texas can for sure.
[snapback]154317[/snapback]​

Easy, Milo. My post is better known as "sarcasm" or a "joke.". (Note comment about jersey). The Sooners do seem to own them though. I would like to see the Okies put it to them when they play. Couldn't do anything but help our cause. If everybody in the top 10 has one loss, its a level playing field again.

When I realized the rankings had already come outon Sunday, I knew that it would help the loser and hurt the winner of this game... it gives the talking heads a week to forget that we beat LSU.

And there's no reason the Vols shouldn't be ahead of Ohio State. We both lost to a top 5 ranked team, but we also beat one.

I can only assume (hope?) that the 'strength-of-schedule' factor will give UT a nice boost in the BCS..yes? I mean, come on, I don't know of another team schedule nearly as brutal as ours. Of the teams on our schedule, three (I think) are either top 10ers now or were when we played them (LSU), not to mention the back-to-back road trips to top 10 venues. Plus, Bama could conceivably be top 10 by that time, yet another tough road trip. Notre Dame will be no pushover, confident I'm sure after knocking us off last year. AND, as much as I hate to recall it, if two years ago still lingers around the Neyland air, playing Georgia at home is a small consolation, although the general concensus seems to be...they are overrated/overranked.
I think the prayer from us Vol fans should be that the collective team mindset is ready to take care of business and not hung up on 'Glory in Baton Rouge.' There is no doubt Rick Clausen is the man for the job, but the level we soared to in the 2nd half at LSU is tough to sustain. And just to look at it objectively, the now deified Clausen is a little loose-cannon-ish himself on longer pass plays it seems. Ainge or Clausen, I get nervous as hell when those guys air it out. But again, although Clausen is not heavy on finesse, he has the sort of Steve McNairish toughness and resiliency to get the job done in a majority of games, I think. If UT gets a BCS bowl, and especially if they win it, I won't be surprised if somebody in the NFL gives him coach-class ticket, lol.
I hope so much that Monday night was the beginning of a true Cinderella story, one in which she wears, of course, an orange dress.
By the way, in case it doesn't get mentioned enough anymore, I sure miss John Ward!
Peace out, my orange brethren!

its like we are not even getting credit for beating the #4 team in the nation, and we are going to be graded on beating an un-ranked Ole Miss.

Then again, we could get credit for winning two games in a week, with one of thsoe being to a top 10 team.

Tennessee would get a big boost in SOS (Strength of Schedule) if it were still in the BCS formula. Starting last season, they eliminated that little piece. Tennessee is currently #1 in SOS based upon the old SOS formula that the BCS used to use.

I modified the Harris, Coaches, and Massey Ratings in my BCS spreadsheet to account for "what-if" the polls waited until after the Tenn-LSU to be published. The BCS top 10 would look sort of like this....

1 Southern California 3-0 0.9390
2 Texas 3-0 0.9012
3 Florida 4-0 0.8370
4 Florida St 3-0 0.8260
5 Virginia Tech 4-0 0.8150
6 Georgia 4-0 0.7856
7 Tennessee 2-1 0.6640
8 Miami-Florida 2-1 0.6352
9 LSU 1-1 0.5314
10 Ohio State 3-1 0.5306

Anyone who thinks voters will "forget" about the LSU game is nuts. It is not that big of a deal, we just get credit a week later and it does not even matter until the BCS poll comes out. If we win out the polls will take care of themselves.

VN Store

Back