What's all the excitement about?

Vol423

Rivals shows us having only one commitment from a Rivals Top 100 recruit and only two commitments from the entire Rivals Top 250.

While many of you seem to be really excited about this recruiting class, to me it looks like it's shaping up as yet another year where we're going to get torched in recruiting by virtually all of the top teams in the conference.

why don't you take the outlook that maybe our coaches( who are freakin COLLEGE FOOTBALL COACHES) can evaluate talent better than a reporter with a journalism degree that couldn't cooach his son's pee wee team

If you count Sykes, UT has commits from four 4* before the end of June. The 08 class had four 4* in February with one of them being Gerald Williams who has been committed to UT since the Boer War. Douglas didn't really seem to strongly consider anyone else.

UT won two battles. Walls who as a longtime fan wanted to be a Vol so flipped from Ole Miss and Abrams-Ward. Abrams-Ward was really the only one where UT didn't have some obvious advantage and won a battle head to head.

UT has "won" several of these guys. They also may be catching some of them on the way up.

UT's avg "stars" right now are 3.31. That's higher than 11 of the teams that finished in the top 25 last year... and doesn't assume Hall moves to 4*.

Vol423 please go somewhere else and be negative for awhile I am pumped about having these early commits we werent able to do that last year.

why don't you take the outlook that maybe our coaches( who are freakin COLLEGE FOOTBALL COACHES) can evaluate talent better than a reporter with a journalism degree that couldn't cooach his son's pee wee team
If the coaches could win the conference every once in a while then maybe people would have more faith in thier abilities in other areas?

If some people recognized a positive once in awhile, their posts might become more credible.

This class is on pace to finish in the top 10-15 range.
Looking at last year's 10-15 on Rivals, it appears that if you're going to have more than one 2* you have to balance it out with half or more of your commits being 4* or having one or more 5* commits. Finishing with a 3.5ish rating in a class of more than 20 should get them in that ballpark.

Rivals shows us having only one commitment from a Rivals Top 100 recruit and only two commitments from the entire Rivals Top 250.

While many of you seem to be really excited about this recruiting class, to me it looks like it's shaping up as yet another year where we're going to get torched in recruiting by virtually all of the top teams in the conference.

Every time you post I think of this.

YouTube - wild thing pitched in Major League II (1994)

most of you guys will know what I am talking about

Looking at last year's 10-15 on Rivals, it appears that if you're going to have more than one 2* you have to balance it out with half or more of your commits being 4* or having one or more 5* commits. Finishing with a 3.5ish rating in a class of more than 20 should get them in that ballpark.

I think Phillips and Schofield will become 3s

I think Phillips and Schofield will become 3s
Lets assume one of them gets three and one of them gets two. If everything else with the class stayed more or less on the same track and recruiting ended today the Vols would have an average ranking of 3.2 on Rivals, which should put them in the 15-20 neighborhood.

Lets assume one of them gets three and one of them gets two. If everything else with the class stayed more or less on the same track and recruiting ended today the Vols would have an average ranking of 3.2 on Rivals, which should put them in the 15-20 neighborhood.

If you count our 3 JUCOs it should be higher than that.

Phillips and Scholfield will probably both be 3* unless they have a really good Sr year, really bad SR year, or get injured.

I guess we should just refuse all commits until they are rated 4+ stars?

...which would more than likely place UT somewhere between 5th and 7th in the SEC in recruiting. That's precisely my point. We're consistently losing ground.

If you count Sykes, UT has commits from four 4* before the end of June. The 08 class had four 4* in February with one of them being Gerald Williams who has been committed to UT since the Boer War. Douglas didn't really seem to strongly consider anyone else.

UT won two battles. Walls who as a longtime fan wanted to be a Vol so flipped from Ole Miss and Abrams-Ward. Abrams-Ward was really the only one where UT didn't have some obvious advantage and won a battle head to head.

UT has "won" several of these guys. They also may be catching some of them on the way up.

Are you seriously using 2008 as the measuring stick of a solid recruiting class?

You guys have to remember something important: The "Rivals Top 100" doesn't mean much at all. If some firm really spent a HUGE amount of time and money putting together a LARGE group of experience football scouts, sent them out across the country to watch a lot of HS football games and talk to coaches, gathered a ton of tape--then had all these people spend days/weeks compiling, analyzing, comparing notes--they put together a pretty solid list of the best, say, 200 prospects in America. Rivals isn't doing that--nobody is. Also: A lot of the best HS prospects don't even emerge until their senior year in high school--they are late bloomers and aren't even on the radar screen yet. They aren't on "the list"--and any top 100 list that isn't dramatically different in October/November from the top 100 list now is suspect. My point is: probably about half of the guys on the top 100 list now won't be among the best 100 in America five months from now, or shouldn't be.

I guess we should just refuse all commits until they are rated 4+ stars?
I think they are doing exactly what they should be doing insofar as they have not accepted a commit from anyone less than 3* rated other than linemen, which are an area of desperate need as we all know. I would like to see them hold out for a bit more elite athletes at the skill positions than some of the guys that they have accepted this early in the game, but there is still time.

sjt, you should just accept my correctness and get on board the train to happytown. Your constant negativity towards my posts is going to give you an ulcer if you don't watch it.

You guys have to remember something important: The "Rivals Top 100" doesn't mean much at all. If some firm really spent a HUGE amount of time and money putting together a LARGE group of experience football scouts, sent them out across the country to watch a lot of HS football games and talk to coaches, gathered a ton of tape--then had all these people spend days/weeks compiling, analyzing, comparing notes--they put together a pretty solid list of the best, say, 200 prospects in America. Rivals isn't doing that--nobody is. Also: A lot of the best HS prospects don't even emerge until their senior year in high school--they are late bloomers and aren't even on the radar screen yet. They aren't on "the list"--and any top 100 list that isn't dramatically different in October/November from the top 100 list now is suspect. My point is: probably about half of the guys on the top 100 list now won't be among the best 100 in America five months from now, or shouldn't be.

For everyone that believes that recruiting rankings don't mean anything, try reading this article. It disproves that myth.

NFL Stars: How recruiting translates to the Draft - AthlonSports.com

My compliments to Volman09, who originally posted the link to this article in another thread.

VN Store

Back