What would Pat have done?

bobkitten

With all these slights that have occurred by the NCAA tournament for women’s basketball, what do you think Pat would do or say if she were here?

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
She would say this new brand of positionless player-basketball sucks and fill the court with a PG, a SG, a SF, a PF and a C and beat the sh!t out of the field. And she would call a timeout and get in the face of half-hearted players or sub the whole crew...Or, give em "That Stare"

She would say this new brand of positionless player-basketball sucks and fill the court with a PG, a SG, a SF, a PF and a C and beat the sh!t out of the field. And she would call a timeout and get in the face of half-hearted players or sub the whole crew...Or, give em "That Stare"
Then I wonder why that didn't work in 1999 with one of the greatest players to ever take the floor and a highly experienced team with 3 Natty's behind them. When your team can't throw it into the ocean on a certain night, you're going home regardless of the withering stare, using every timeout you have to stop runs or subbing out the whole team. It wasn't the only time it happened to Pat either. Sometimes even the greatest are at the mercy of what a team can do on a particular night. We were off and we lost. Simple as that. I doubt any amount of the antics described would have made a difference.

After seeing the facial expirations and tired strain around her mouth, I think Kellie didn't need to answer any questions, her face said it all.. As was stated above, "when you can't score, you are going home." It was stated/asked in the last day or so "we haven't been able to shoot the ball for some seasons. It bothers me to see nearly all the teams in the tourney have at least one if not 2-3 girls who can really shoot the ball, from anywhere, way out or in close. Also many of these teams have a great point guard. We, are usually mid pack with these skills. WHY!!!??? Poor recruiting, recruiting by *, (the easy way to recruit) not evaluating far enough ahead to for expect deficiencies. Oh well maybe these things are/will change with another season or two as Kellie gets the program moving along like she wants. Her old team has sure kept going well with the program she developed.

Reactions: krichunaka
With all these slights that have occurred by the NCAA tournament for women’s basketball, what do you think Pat would do or say if she were here?

For Pat to "be here", that would require for a miracle cure for Alzheimer's to be found before her passing. And if we assume that cure had restored her to her fully functional amazing self? Whether or not she had resumed her duties as coach of the Lady Vols, I am sure she would have been present to witness and address these slights. And I think it likely that, even if her influence succeeded or failed to make a difference, at least more Tennessee supporters might be up in arms about it than there are right now.

Unfortunately, none of that happened. But if it had? Those behind the slights are probably less concerned with their decisions. Just another reason for fans of women's basketball to mourn her loss.

Right on, Coach!

Then I wonder why that didn't work in 1999 with one of the greatest players to ever take the floor and a highly experienced team with 3 Natty's behind them. When your team can't throw it into the ocean on a certain night, you're going home regardless of the withering stare, using every timeout you have to stop runs or subbing out the whole team. It wasn't the only time it happened to Pat either. Sometimes even the greatest are at the mercy of what a team can do on a particular night. We were off and we lost. Simple as that. I doubt any amount of the antics described would have made a difference.
Why not call a timeout and see if it slows a run, maybe even stopping a run of momentum the other team has? We will never know, because coach Harper doesn't believe in using them until the end of the game. Coaches are human, they also make mistakes. Will you learn from them is the question?

Reactions: NoBackBoard
Why not call a timeout and see if it slows a run, maybe even stopping a run of momentum the other team has? We will never know, because coach Harper doesn't believe in using them until the end of the game. Coaches are human, they also make mistakes. Will you learn from them is the question?
I agree that a timeout may have been beneficial. The key word is may. Personally, I would have gone to a full court press when we went down by 12 to 15 points. Would that have made a difference? Maybe, maybe not. Sometimes it is what it is. We've seen that in few games in this tourney already. I'm disappointed in our outcome but still proud of the team and staff. Looking forward to next year.

Those, what you call "antics", what coaches call "options or strategies" may have affected the game, but we'll never know bc they weren't tried were they!

I don't use timeouts to stop every run, either...But I do sacrifice one or two for in-game strategies bc usually if I need more than one or two at the end of the game, it is most often moot anyway

After seeing the facial expirations and tired strain around her mouth, I think Kellie didn't need to answer any questions, her face said it all.. As was stated above, "when you can't score, you are going home." It was stated/asked in the last day or so "we haven't been able to shoot the ball for some seasons. It bothers me to see nearly all the teams in the tourney have at least one if not 2-3 girls who can really shoot the ball, from anywhere, way out or in close. Also many of these teams have a great point guard. We, are usually mid pack with these skills. WHY!!!??? Poor recruiting, recruiting by *, (the easy way to recruit) not evaluating far enough ahead to for expect deficiencies. Oh well maybe these things are/will change with another season or two as Kellie gets the program moving along like she wants. Her old team has sure kept going well with the program she developed.
No putdown to Kellie, but her old team has Amaka Agugua-Hamilton as head coach.

Pat was the kind of coach who could demand strict discipline and get it. Kellie doesn't strike me as someone who could make her players run laps or practice free throws for 4 hours...or make the team stay overtime to work on things. You can just tell by her personality. Pat was a rare breed. Kellie is a nice "players coach." Coaches like Geno can force his team into long practices and demand perfection. Kellie...you can tell...is not like that...and those are the truly successful coaches running the truly successful programs. I am not at the practices so I can't say this definitively...but come on. You can just tell. You can also see her demeanor on the bench and the way she interacts w players during the games. She's nice. She's pretty....and we can only go so far with that kind of coach. You either have that "Summit Way" or you don't.

Those, what you call "antics", what coaches call "options or strategies" may have affected the game, but we'll never know bc they weren't tried were they!

I don't use timeouts to stop every run, either...But I do sacrifice one or two for in-game strategies bc usually if I need more than one or two at the end of the game, it is most often moot anyway
You will have to pardon me if I defer to the person that played for Pat for 4 years, won 3 Nattys, final four in the fourth, has taken 4 different teams to the NCAA tourney, has been in the game of basketball her whole life, has made a good living while coaching professionally, has been around these girls for 2 years and probably knows how each will respond to praise and criticism, versus someone who was honing their skills cutting crown molding and chair rail, sat and talked with Pat for 1 game, and coached 12 year olds on the weekend. If you were a neutral observer, who would you trust to know what to do during an NCAA tournament game? Honest question.

Pat by far was a great motivator a great recruiter she brought in the best athletes and players during a time there just was not that many to go around. But Pat was not much of a offensive X’s and O’s coach. Just put the best athletes on the floor and motivated them to dominate. And they did that better than anyone til Geno came along. I am sure this will make some mad but Pat just like her players would struggle today. Every team has good players. Cant just throw 5 great athletes out there anymore and say sling it up and go get it. JMO.

VN Store

Back