What will be the 'X Factor' for next year's team?

The X FACTOR will be anyone or everyone that can shoot mid-range and beyond the arc with consistency. I know basketball is "streaky" sometimes during games, but UT had entire games where there was essentially no offense. Many, many times pathetic and dismal.

A few players are going to have to step up and be reliable scorers. Not sure if any returning players can be that, so incoming players may have to. Really hoping the transfer from Auburn can be one of those. Not only does UT need outside threats, they need players that can knock them down consistently.....

Barnes does a great job getting players to buy in, gel together, hustle and play defense. He gets more hustle out of ordinary players than any coach I can remember. But, he can't "coach" shooting ability. That comes natural. You either have it, or you don't. What Barnes can do is instill confidence and coach them to be in the right positions offensively to do so. Is this one of very few weeknesses of Barnes? Maybe.

They sure as hell hustle and play defense, though, typically. As a fan I do appreciate this. Just not going to get over the hump until they have serious offensive scoring weapons....

The X factor for me is having at least an 8 man rotation of solid players. Ideally 10, so essentially it comes down to front court depth really.

The X FACTOR will be anyone or everyone that can shoot mid-range and beyond the arc with consistency. I know basketball is "streaky" sometimes during games, but UT had entire games where there was essentially no offense. Many, many times pathetic and dismal.

A few players are going to have to step up and be reliable scorers. Not sure if any returning players can be that, so incoming players may have to. Really hoping the transfer from Auburn can be one of those. Not only does UT need outside threats, they need players that can knock them down consistently.....

Barnes does a great job getting players to buy in, gel together, hustle and play defense. He gets more hustle out of ordinary players than any coach I can remember. But, he can't "coach" shooting ability. That comes natural. You either have it, or you don't. What Barnes can do is instill confidence and coach them to be in the right positions offensively to do so. Is this one of very few weeknesses of Barnes? Maybe.

They sure as hell hustle and play defense, though, typically. As a fan I do appreciate this. Just not going to get over the hump until they have serious offensive scoring weapons....

Feel like he did a pretty good job with several guys shooting. Kevin Punter for example.

Edit: I may be misinterpreting your point there. I read your post quickly.

Reactions: walkenvol
I would normally say the x factor would be freshmen, because they're freshmen. But this year I'm going to say it will be the returners. We don't yet know how well Vescovi will play and score when he is not the primary pg. We don't know if JJJ will turn the corner and become a star. We don't know what improvement we'll get from Olivier or Uros. We don't know if Fulky can return to form. We don't know if Victor, Jr. will improve enough on defense. Here's hoping that CRB's faith in thee guys comes true.

Reactions: JelloPuddinPup
At the end of the day don’t you think how well the team meshes is about coaching? I mean heck they were recruited here for a reason and a role in mind. The coach has to pull all the right strings, and get the team rowing in the right direction.
True, and we have a damn good one

It might be Rick Barnes. We all know he has had terrible post season success in his coaching career. It is frustrating, because he has had a ton of success. But, it seems that he has a ceiling. Goodness, it is irritating!

It will always be Rick Barnes.

How many of those has Barnes won? Yeah,that’s what I though.

You’re a coach’s dream fan. Surpass minimal expectations and all is good.

He was in consecutive SEC Tournament finals. I bet you can’t name any other TN coach that has done that.

He has been to 3 Elite Eights in the last 18 NCAA Tournaments. TN has been to one in its entire history.

He has signed 4 of the 6 highest rated recruits EVER at TN in the last 2 cycles.

You Basilio sheep bring a miserable narrative of whining to any TN conversation. It’s really quite pathetic.

How many of those has Barnes won? Yeah,that’s what I though.

You’re a coach’s dream fan. Surpass minimal expectations and all is good.
Lmao how many SECTs has TENNESSEE AS A PROGRAM won over the last 40 years?

Barnes has at least gotten UT closer to winning it the last 3 or 4 years than most UT coaches have in that span.

But whatever, people like you tire me

VN Store

Back