What was the turning point/jump the shark moment in 2020?

I have been giving this a lot of thought and have come to believe that THE point at which the die was cast on 2020 was when Trump was released from the hospital and had them do the helicopter drop off redux, so he could stand there and defiantly take off his mask.

To do that right after having been hospitalized with Covid I think was too much. He lost credibility with a lot of folks when he did that who might have otherwise given him the benefit of the doubt.

Biden was hardly an attractive candidate, enjoying lukewarm support, similar to HRC when you think about it. Trump lost 2020 as much as Biden won it. Your thoughts on when the turning point was?

Trump getting Covid was inevitable and obvious. He was a jackass that believed the virus was a hoax. That wasn't surprising to me at all. Probably up there with the least surprising thing in 2020, honestly.

I knew we were screwed in 2020 when his golden boy son-in-law Jared Kushner, eventual HEAD of the Coronavirus task force was asking Facebook doctors for advice. That story broke in The NY Times in March of 2020 I believe...

Turning point in the election was the South Carolina primaries. The Dem leadership clearly removed two of the top moderate dem competition after that. Leaving just Biden. Once they rallied behind their establishment member it was ver for Trump. A real primary between multiple moderate Dems would have left more at home down the road. Because they unified early they could get the pro Biden message out in force.

And that message was purely about Trump. Biden wasnt even the second choice for any of the Dems on here. But once they sold their collective souls to win it was over for Trump.

Then all they had to do was wait for Trump to be Trump and lose the election. They learned from their Hilary embarrassment on how to fight Trump, just let him flap in the wind. Covid gave him cover for that, and Trump being the incumbent put him in a real position vs a made up one as the challenger. The Dems were able to play that card this time.

They promised to be anti Trump. Unifying, and with a plan for Covid, healing the world, and taking care of the people. All their usual feel good bs they never plan to deliver on.

I have been giving this a lot of thought and have come to believe that THE point at which the die was cast on 2020 was when Trump was released from the hospital and had them do the helicopter drop off redux, so he could stand there and defiantly take off his mask.

To do that right after having been hospitalized with Covid I think was too much. He lost credibility with a lot of folks when he did that who might have otherwise given him the benefit of the doubt.

Biden was hardly an attractive candidate, enjoying lukewarm support, similar to HRC when you think about it. Trump lost 2020 as much as Biden won it. Your thoughts on when the turning point was?

Losing to Biden is just about the most pathetic thing ever. Something went wrong but IDK when the shark got jumped. Happened a bunch of times, I suppose.

Losing to Biden is just about the most pathetic thing ever. Something went wrong but IDK when the shark got jumped. Happened a bunch of times, I suppose.
I was thinking it might have been as soon as he won. He was the dog that caught the car. He was left to bark at it a bunch, chew on the tires for a moment, piss on it and then walk away with no more "Trump" things to do.

I was thinking it might have been as soon as he won. He was the dog that caught the car. He was left to bark at it a bunch, chew on the tires for a moment, piss on it and then walk away with no more "Trump" things to do.

When the reason you won is you're not Hillary, you might lose to a guy because he isn't you.

Reactions: Sandman 423
Trump getting Covid was inevitable and obvious. He was a jackass that believed the virus was a hoax. That wasn't surprising to me at all. Probably up there with the least surprising thing in 2020, honestly.

I knew we were screwed in 2020 when his golden boy son-in-law Jared Kushner, eventual HEAD of the Coronavirus task force was asking Facebook doctors for advice. That story broke in The NY Times in March of 2020 I believe...

Putting him in charge was of course a mistake. He was not remotely qualified to do that job.

Having said that, I will not be critical of him for mining for medical advice anywhere he could get it. Dumb to rely on Facebook-responding doctors? Probably. But how do we know unless we know who responded, what they had to say, and whether they ultimately did have appropriate credentials?

So just as a threshold matter I'm not going to bash him for trying to gather information.

And having said that, it doesn't matter because Trump was not interested in the truth if it was bad news.

And that is probably his Achilles' heel in a lot of respects his whole life.

The turning point for me was when Trump allowed himself to be coerced by the Russians. The Country has been in shambles ever since that dreadful day.

Last edited:
Reactions: DC_Vol
Exactly. The media was going to jump in with both feet no matter what Trump did and the DNC already had their mouths drooling on how to take advantage of the situation going into November. And truthfully, as scatter brained as Trump can be at times, the fact that he did NOT try to override any of the governors and let them handle the situations however they see fit is something that he should be commended on. The media was asking for some large centralized action coming from DC and Trump, to his credit, allowed the states to take control of things. Truth be told, lets not forget that trump was anxious to get things opened back up on Easter last year. If you want to blame anyone on that not happening, I would blame the so-called "patriots" and evangelical communities for not being more enthusiastic about opening up on Easter. But in stead, the "patriots" chose not spill the blood of tyrants on the tree of liberty. Trump got little to no support from that community and he ended up having to backdown to the media pressure in the end.
Interesting take. It was ok for him to stand on the sidelines for the covid response but he also tried to commandeer tax monies and private land for a 2000 mile border fence... and both sides accuse the other of manufacturing each crisis. It’s all a circus.

Interesting take. It was ok for him to stand on the sidelines for the covid response but he also tried to commandeer tax monies and private land for a 2000 mile border fence... and both sides accuse the other of manufacturing each crisis. It’s all a circus.

See Ras? Damned if he did, damned if he didn't.

See Ras? Damned if he did, damned if he didn't.
All the more reason why I said it is hard for me to blame Trump when we are asking him to be clairvoyant enough to know Fauci was going to knife him and still going to get judged by the left for not doing enough to shut down travel (specifically from China).

Reactions: BreatheUT

Meh. I don't think it was one point. I think folks in the middle, actual independents, got tired of his bs over the years. They either stayed home or voted Biden.

VN Store

Back