What was the biggest all time UT upset win?

1986 Sugar Bowl. IDK the line but Miami was heavily favored and we kicked the hell out them. Good times.

Reactions: 3 people
Sugar Bowl win over Miami... nothing else comes close that I can recall

I dunno if it was an upset as in the pregame hype....but the come back against ND in the miracle of South Bend is pretty close too...

Reactions: 1 person
Yep, '86 Sugar Bowl (after 85 season) gets my vote too. We tamed the Canes. Testeverde couldn't get any rhythm all night. Our D was awesome, and our O was superb!

**EDIT

Miami 1986 IMO.

I previously stated '89 UCLA game but that team ended up being way overrated (I was looking at the wrong year).

Sorry, I was only 2 in 1989 afterall :)

Last edited:
That '85 Team upset #1 Auburn, who had Heismann Trophy Winner running back Bo Jackson, at Neyland Stadium that year. They went on to win the SEC East that year behind backup QB Darrel Dickey & a right to play #2 ranked Jimmy Johnson's Miami Hurricanes in the 1986 Sugar Bowl. Tennessee won 35-7 & ended up as the #3 ranked team at years end.

Reactions: 7 people
Tenn at south bend I think is the biggest upset in ut history. But there are a few other gamestthat's right up there. Go vols

I know that may be the best... beacause no one gave us a chance...What was the spread? Was it bigger than the 18 for the 2001 FL game?

No, it was less than 10 points for the '86 Sugar Bowl. According to this source, the spread was only 8.5 points (1986 Game Recap / Allstate Sugar Bowl). Given our ranking as a top-5 team, we never should have been 18-point underdogs vs. Florida in 2001, but we were. I cannot recall a bigger point spread by which we were underdogs and actually won the game.

Our upset victory over No. 1-ranked and defending national champion LSU in 1959 would also have to rank among our greatest upset victories; I have no idea, however, what the point spread was for that game.

Last edited:
That '85 Team upset #1 Auburn, who had Heismann Trophy Winner running back Bo Jackson, at Neyland Stadium that year. They went on to win the SEC East that year behind backup QB Darrel Dickey & a right to play #2 ranked Jimmy Johnson's Miami Hurricanes in the 1986 Sugar Bowl. Tennessee won 35-7 & ended up as the #3 ranked team at years end.

Auburn '85 was my pick. We were not ranked at the time and shocked everyone with that win.

Reactions: 2 people
86 sugar bowl

getpicture.aspx

Reactions: 4 people
Some time in the early 80s -- around 84? -- when we had Johnnie Jones at RB, we were about to play Bama, and he asked what was the line. Someone said, they have it Bama by 3. He asked, 3 points? They said, no, 3 TDs. JJ said Oh hell no, and we went on to beat em.

Some time in the early 80s -- around 84? -- when we had Johnnie Jones at RB, we were about to play Bama, and he asked what was the line. Someone said, they have it Bama by 3. He asked, 3 points? They said, no, 3 TDs. JJ said Oh hell no, and we went on to beat em.

Yes, Johnnie Jones from Munford, TN. ran all over Bama that day. I can hear John Ward saying Jones from Munford, TN. about 50 times that day.

For those of us who weren't alive, why didn't the #1 and #2 teams play for the title that year? I know it wasn't BCS yet, but seems like it woulda been easier.

While not the biggest lines, our 2003 win @ Miami we were a big underdog as well as @ Georgia in 2004 (they were ranked #3 and we had just gotten out butts kicked at home by Auburn).

There was no SEC East in 1985. We were SEC Champs , mainly because Florida was ineligible due to being on probation. We both finished 5-1 in SEC play but UF beat us ..

Reactions: 2 people
For those of us who weren't alive, why didn't the #1 and #2 teams play for the title that year? I know it wasn't BCS yet, but seems like it woulda been easier.

Conference tie-ins with the various bowls at that time rarely permitted a match-up of the teams who were ranked Nos. 1 & 2 as of the final regular season poll. Penn State, which I believe was then still an independent, was ranked no. 1 and pitted against Oklahoma, whom Miami had beaten during the regular season. Miami's loss to us and Oklahoma's victory over the Nittany Lions elevated the Sooners to national champions.

VN Store

Back