What stuck out to you today?

We're probably going to need all 3 QB's because they're gonna be gassed because the other team's offense is going to score quick on our D and not give the offense any time to rest🤣
Bailey looked the best in the format played today. Still wonder if Milton thinks he can come in and take the spot

Would like to see the game first before giving an opinion. Something about following it on VN and Twitter doesn’t seem to give the same “feel” as video. Once Freak posts it on YouTube I’ll check it out and come back

Today didn't change nothing for anyone it don't look like. What everybody was feeling before the game good or bad is still be felt just a little bit more now. It's understandable tho until we see what we wanna see on the field then it is going to be this way. Everybody going to feel like they going to feel.

Reactions: Woke and GlennTenn
This past season our defense was flat awful and now we are missing some players that was on that bad defense....On the radio Bob mentioned 7 players on defense wasn't playing today....2 or 3 could have played today if it was a game but were held out. Staff needs to get busy and bring in some help from the portal.

Bailey and Maurer seem like locks for QB1/QB2; I was surprised Hooker seemed to struggle as much as he did. I was pleasantly surprised that the running game looks so solid...as fun as it would be to watch Beckwith run over people, the defense may need him more. Small seems like the starter there.

Getting such big contributions out of "players I've never heard of before" :)

Don't know if some of these guys will see the field in the regular season when more guys are (hopefully) healthy, but was interesting seeing Jack Jancek and Jaylen Wright play well.

Also, seems like WRs are playing better. Maybe that's the offense or better WR coaching ... I don't know ... but some of these WRs that never seemed to do that well with Pruitt seemed to suddenly look very good.

Still worried about D. Can't really tell much from the O&W game, but I feel like we're going to be like Ole Miss last season and we'll have to win shootout type games.

Getting such big contributions out of "players I've never heard of before" :)

Don't know if some of these guys will see the field in the regular season when more guys are (hopefully) healthy, but was interesting seeing Jack Jancek and Jaylen Wright play well.

Still worried about D. Can't really tell much from the O&W game, but I feel like we're going to be like Ole Miss last season and we'll have to win shootout type games.

Yeah, where'd Jancek come from?! I did a double take when he snagged that long ball.

Bailey and Maurer seem like locks for QB1/QB2; I was surprised Hooker seemed to struggle as much as he did. I was pleasantly surprised that the running game looks so solid...as fun as it would be to watch Beckwith run over people, the defense may need him more. Small seems like the starter there.
Beckwith is not playing defense...do you mean Whitehead?

In person, the offense seemed to run incredibly fast. I liked the downfield throws. it was hard to judge the defense. Even without being aggressive we had a targeting call. You can’t predict a lot from a spring game, but I think it will be more exciting football to watch but a few years away from it paying dividends.

If Maurer and Hooker were indeed told to play ONLY from within the pocket (which sounds like it’s the case), it explains why Bailey looked the best today. They were being challenged to play outside of their style and therefore taking half of their game away, where Bailey was able to play within himself. IF that’s the case, I wouldn’t take anything from Bailey but at the same time, I wouldn’t take anything from Hooker or Maurer either as you can easily erase a few incomplete passes and replace it with positive rushing yards.

Beckwith is not playing defense...do you mean Whitehead?

Whitehead as well, yes. But Beckwith...he seems to have a good frame if we can't add some LBs via the portal. It'd be a last-ditch move at this point but RB is one spot where there's some depth from which to draw.

Reactions: bpalmer28
Here's what stood out to me, listening to the game on radio:

1. It was fast! Kesling hung in there, calling the plays lickety-spittle with not a second to pause. Bet he's on his phone now, asking his agent to renegotiate his contract to /per-play instead of /per game.

2. I seriously wonder if the Vol Network broadcast team is gonna need two play-by-play men alternating calls, and Tim Priest's color commentary will have to become a halftime feature.

3. If Bert Bertelkamp had been providing color today, all we'd have heard from him was, "Mon-!"

4. Expect Vegas to offer an over/under on how far into the Tennessee / Ole Miss game Bob gets before he pulls up with a tongue cramp.

5. The broadcast booth for Big Orange Country 2021 will be no country for old men with false teeth.

Beckwith I think needs to move to a HB or TE position like Pitts at UF...he doesn't have the burst needed at RB....I love he can run over and break tackles, but it doesnt help if your getting hit atbthr line because of lack of burst....just IMO....small was much more impressive....

I also don't think we will WR running wide open like they were today...other teams wont have a 5'9 former walkons covering 6'5 wrs

If Maurer and Hooker were indeed told to play ONLY from within the pocket (which sounds like it’s the case), it explains why Bailey looked the best today. They were being challenged to play outside of their style and therefore taking half of their game away, where Bailey was able to play within himself. IF that’s the case, I wouldn’t take anything from Bailey but at the same time, I wouldn’t take anything from Hooker or Maurer either as you can easily erase a few incomplete passes and replace it with positive rushing yards.
That's what I was saying in the main O & W game thread.
Bailey looked good in this game format but Maurer and Hooker are runners and I felt were playing against their instinct to run because the refs were going to blow the whistle if a defender came near them.
Saw times that both could have pulled it and took off. Maurer had a play on 3rd where it looked like he wanted to run, then stopped and decided he'd better pass only to take off again. If he had just pulled it and ran he could've got the first down.

Bailey did have some nice passes and was hitting guys. Still hard to judge because the DB's didn't play good.
Guess we'll see what the summer brings. I think all 3 did a good job getting the team on the line and ready to go...

Forget about Beckwith going to defense.

VN Store

Back