What should be our strategy until Rae returns?

37620VOL

Barely-Known Member
Without Rae I think we need to Huep up our offense ... go faster than fast. Try to create transition points because our set offense doesn't pack much punch.

Order of operations:
1. get a steal or long defensive rebound ... fast break and finish it at the rim, draw fouls.

2. normal defensive rebound or inbound made basket ... run secondary break as fast as possible, a guard shooter should inbound, let the posts run. This breakdown of Roy Williams secondary break is pretty close to what I'm thinking.

.....a) get the ball asap to any ball handler
.....b) wings/guards sprint to opposite sides below the ft line, ball handler pushes to them asap.
.....c) the first post down the floor sprints to the rim, then establishes on the low block aggressively.
.....d) second post down goes to the ball side elbow.
.....e) original ballhandler trails the play, receives pass from wing/guard, if other options are not open, beginning a ball reversal
.....f) complete the reversal by passing to the opposite wing, first post crosses the paint and establishes on low block, then moves to set a screen at the elbow for the second post to cut to the same low block.

3. secondary break should produce a good shot 75% of the time, but if it doesn't move to offensive set. The secondary break should smoothly transition into the set offense, there should not be an opportunity for the defense to set or correct mismatches.

4. most of the sets are going to be pick and rolls for Horston and Key, except for a few set plays that are installed each week based on opponent weaknesses.

5. Puckett and Darby must continue to shoot threes. Puckett gets 30 minutes, Darby 10. Between the 2 of them, I want at least 10 3s per game.

That's my plan, what ideas do yall have?

Without Rae I think we need to Huep up our offense ... go faster than fast. Try to create transition points because our set offense doesn't pack much punch.

Order of operations:
1. get a steal or long defensive rebound ... fast break and finish it at the rim, draw fouls.

2. normal defensive rebound or inbound made basket ... run secondary break as fast as possible, a guard shooter should inbound, let the posts run. This breakdown of Roy Williams secondary break is pretty close to what I'm thinking.

.....b) wings/guards sprint to opposite sides below the ft line, ball handler pushes to them asap.
.....c) the first post down the floor sprints to the rim, then establishes on the low block aggressively.
.....e) original ballhandler trails the play, receives pass from wing/guard, if other options are not open, beginning a ball reversal
.....f) complete the reversal by passing to the opposite wing, first post crosses the paint and establishes on low block, then moves to set a screen at the elbow for the second post to cut to the same low block.

3. secondary break should produce a good shot 75% of the time, but if it doesn't move to offensive set. The secondary break should smoothly transition into the set offense, there should not be an opportunity for the defense to set or correct mismatches.

4. most of the sets are going to be pick and rolls for Horston and Key, except for a few set plays that are installed each week based on opponent weaknesses.

5. Puckett and Darby must continue to shoot threes. Puckett gets 30 minutes, Darby 10. Between the 2 of them, I want at least 10 3s per game.

Probably forget the three which is adding just 6 points per game to our offense and costing us 14 shot attempts. 44 percent on all the other shot attempts would mean making about 6 more shots or 12 points so 12-6 gives us 6 more points. Free throws get lucky I guess as the players shooting them now are not career great free throw shooters. We have to hope we can get to sixty and hold the other team under that amount.

Order of operations:

Score more points than the other team and the girls will be fine!!

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Probably forget the three which is adding just 6 points per game to our offense and costing us 14 shot attempts. 44 percent on all the other shot attempts would mean making about 6 more shots or 12 points so 12-6 gives us 6 more points. Free throws get lucky I guess as the players shooting them now are not career great free throw shooters. We have to hope we can get to sixty and hold the other team under that amount.
If you forget the 3 then you are stunting the growth potential of some players

Reactions: GameTime
If you forget the 3 then you are stunting the growth potential of some players
Not forget but if you miss your first six to seven in a game you might need to try to get the ball inside a few times before trying anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: LadyVols_WBK

Order of operations:

I’m not sure we have the personnel to do that. We aren’t an overall athletic team (especially without Rae) and we don’t have many players that can creat their own shots. On top of that, we are a poor shooting team. Slowing it down and making it a grind out game might be our best option. Keep it as low scoring as possible. Rebound relentlessly. Make freethrows. Play suffocating defense.

Even with Rae, we have such a new, young team. We’re workin on getting into a rhythm, learning to play together. Due is new to the team. Darby hasn’t played much. Puckett more or less starting and brand new. Miles playing significant minutes is new. Give it time.

Order of operations:

Getting points in transition is ideal for a defensive oriented team that does not shoot well. Just like Jordan's steal and lay-up helped to jump start the LV comeback against USF.

Outside of that, a defensive team that is a bit offensively challenged does not want a fast paced game which gives the other side more opportunities. We need to be one of those teams that controls tempo and has the other falling asleep from the sheer tedium of playing such a game.

Reducing TOs is pretty key in this equation as well.

Last edited:

Order of operations:

Bull!! The Lady Vols shot 13 3's in the last game and did not make any of them...zero period!!!!!!!!!!!

Getting points in transition is ideal for a defensive oriented team that does not shoot well. Just like Jordan's steal and lay-up helped to jump start the LV comeback against USF.

Outside of that, a defensive team that is a bit offernsively challenged does not want a fast paced game which gives the other side more opportunities. We need to be one of those teams that controls tempo and has the other falling asleep from the sheer tedium of playing such a game.

Reducing TOs is pretty key in this equation as well.

I hear you but feel like that was Pruitt's strategy. I prefer Heupel's but keeping our defense đź’Ż.

Bull!! The Lady Vols shot 13 3's in the last game and did not make any of them...zero period!!!!!!!!!!!
True that the LVs shot a goose egg from the arc in the USF game. But that is no reason to stop attempting three pointers going forward. That part of the LVs game will improve, in my opinion, and threes will begin to fall.

Shooting no 3s is not a viable option. We must shoot a better percentage going forward, 30% or higher.
I agree. When it becomes obvious that we're not shooting 3's, our opponents will only pack their defense inside even tighter. That will result in making entry passes and points in the paint even more difficult. The question is, how do we improve our 3 point shooting ?
(Though anything would be better then last game)

I agree. When it becomes obvious that we're not shooting 3's, our opponents will only pack their defense inside even tighter. That will result in making entry passes and points in the paint even more difficult. The question is, how do we improve our 3 point shooting ?
(Though anything would be better then last game)
Outside of Rae, the players on the team who have 3-point range can't create their own shot. None of them can do what Matharu did against Stanford, where she sized up the defense and got them thinking that she might drive, then stepped back and hit a three when she caught them second guessing themselves. The best way to take advantage of Puckett, Darby, and (God forbid) Rennie's shooting touch is get them the ball in a catch-and-shoot situation where they aren't trying to improvise. Other than that, I don't know what else you can do to improve their long-distance accuracy.

I’m not sure we have the personnel to do that. We aren’t an overall athletic team (especially without Rae) and we don’t have many players that can creat their own shots. On top of that, we are a poor shooting team. Slowing it down and making it a grind out game might be our best option. Keep it as low scoring as possible. Rebound relentlessly. Make freethrows. Play suffocating defense.
It’s working

I was thinking preseason they had the personnel to do whatever Kelly wanted, full court press style or half court or anything in between but that does not seem to be the case after seeing them play. Maybe they do and Kelly has just chosen not to press for whatever reasons. Think I would try it. Got to generate some offense some way.

Last edited:
I notice (possibly due to size) that the team is pretty slow so fastbreak is tough. I do think we need to work on our in and out game some. Of course, we have to be able to hit 3s.

There are very few strategies that are going to be effective if our FT shooting or 3s don't improve.

Get in the gym and SHOOT THE BALL! Over and over and over and over...

This. I have always wondered what sort of shooting drills we do. Rae apparently had a good regimen, but she is the only one I have ever seen video of to make an informed judgment about. Shooting work has to be done outside regular practice because the number of repetitions you need will not fit in the allowed practice time. But the coaches have to give the kids the drills and a target for repetitions and accuracy etc...

This is supposedly a bunch of gym rats so it shouldn't be difficult to get them to do the work, unlike some rosters.

Order of operations:

What to do about being 6-16 at the charity stripe against USF, (last I heard mentioned), which is 37.5%. Surely that will improve.

Order of operations:

Well shooting 3's is not one of them, last time I checked they were 0 for 13 and none were even close. Teach them how to make a layup. Make practicing free throws a part of their practice. Use a timeout during a game to make adjustments Block out and let our size be an advantage Stop making easy shots difficult with the 360 turns and behind the back crap Be tougher as a coach, compliments after every game aren't necessary unless they are earned. That's my take as We are the LADY VOLS not someone trying to make a name for themselves

Reactions: LadyVol1908
Outside of Rae, the players on the team who have 3-point range can't create their own shot. None of them can do what Matharu did against Stanford, where she sized up the defense and got them thinking that she might drive, then stepped back and hit a three when she caught them second guessing themselves. The best way to take advantage of Puckett, Darby, and (God forbid) Rennie's shooting touch is get them the ball in a catch-and-shoot situation where they aren't trying to improvise. Other than that, I don't know what else you can do to improve their long-distance accuracy.

We have never been a program that effectively utilizes the high screen to get a shooter open. Auriemma has had some shooters over the years who weren't really quick but made a lot of threes because they'd get positioned right behind that screen and get the shot iff quickly. Our shooters tend to put too much space between themselves and our screener, which allows the defender to slip in there to disrupt. I've said for years that if we ever got good at having our players roll off that high screen with the proper timing and space, then it wouldn't be as big an issue that they are not quick enough to create their own shot in the open floor.

VN Store

Back