What needs to happen for the offense to improve?

It’s too late to be making any huge philosophical changes or anything, we can try and get some different looks for some guys but as many others have said making shots is the biggest thing. Defenses are now playing us to match what we’ve shown we are best at, they are pressuring our guards to take away open 3pt looks as well as being physical which hampers on cutting and motion off screens. Where that defense is vulnerable is guards driving and also leaving posts 1-1, so we need to make those areas pay, if we don’t then we just really make it tough on ourselves. We need Zeigler to be able to knock down those 12-15 footers as well as the floaters closer to the basket, we need JJJ & Phillips to also continue to drive it into the paint and finish and/or get fouled, and then we also need our 5’s to take advantage of the matchups and shooting 60%+ from 2. You do these things and defenses will be forced to loosen up a bit, if not they’ll continue to run us off the 3pt line…we are still managing to get some open looks from 3, and we’ve gotta hit those, free throws as well.

I think ZZZ and Phillips and Jo have to display the confidence to beat their man, drive early in the possession and get the hoop/harm like you said. We cannot settle in, pass 10 times, hold the ball, then drive. It is what everyone expects us to do so the help D is ready in the paint. It also looks like desperation to the refs which lowers our likelihood of getting calls. Lastly, it slows the pace of the game and that isn't what this team needs when they are cold: more time to think about their last shot not going in.

James needs to be more aggressive to get the 12’ jump shot, Phillips needs more isolation, spread the floor and let the point guard penetrate and kick.
Stop trying to get Vescovi to try and penetrate, just spot up.
Check Olivia early, if he is scoring run the offense through him.
JMO

This. All of this. I would add that we tend to stop feeding the post during our dry spells. We score much more easily when the ball goes into the post at least once, even if it’s just to kick it back out.

I’m hoping Phillips develops some take charge attitude soon. He’s a guy who can generate a bucket with pure ability when needed. I think he and JJJ have be our drought-breakers most of the time. Occasionally, it can be ON, when he’s hitting shots in the paint.

I think ZZZ and Phillips and Jo have to display the confidence to beat their man, drive early in the possession and get the hoop/harm like you said. We cannot settle in, pass 10 times, hold the ball, then drive. It is what everyone expects us to do so the help D is ready in the paint. It also looks like desperation to the refs which lowers our likelihood of getting calls. Lastly, it slows the pace of the game and that isn't what this team needs when they are cold: more time to think about their last shot not going in.
ZZZ had been doing a really great job of that, not sure if it’s coincidence or reason but the last 2 games were against 6’11”+ athletic 5 men who lead the league in blocked shots, felt a bit like ZZZ got there but just couldn’t do anything with it when he did.

Reactions: SN-A-C Orange
Post players have to make some shots. We were going to the post to start the Auburn game and Orn missed six straight shots. We then decided to try the perimeter and missed a lot more. No one could make a shot even when they had an open look. Not our first game to look like that. We may score 50 or 80 offense is very inconsistent with this team.

So what is everyone’s thoughts on how the offense can improve? What needs to happen?
Quit taking rushed shots after on pass, drive to basket for contact (not ZZ, but JJJ, Key or Phillips) and Shoot when you are wide open, Santi passed off two wide open looks into turnovers on Sat.

Saw a comment by James post game that he thought they start out playing too much perimeter shooting rather than going 'inside out' for the 3's. They would get better looks if would do that.

Saw a comment by James post game that he thought they start out playing too much perimeter shooting rather than going 'inside out' for the 3's. They would get better looks if would do that.
Our first like 5-6 possessions we pounded it into Nkamhoua at the 5 and he missed, the issue with that strategy was it only strengthened Auburn’s plans to play him straight up and play our guards even tighter. When we go inside we need to convert.

No inside game hurts outside shooting. Need to get Phillips more involved on the inside. Vescovi needs to shoot more. Move the ball around faster,,,,

Lesson from the Florida game was not to let a bad offensive performance cause the defense to slip late, and that lesson was certainly applied. They also had much better shot selection against Auburn. Next up is just hit the shots, keeping in mind that slumps are normal and not permanent. Don’t let it get in your head.

Julian Phillips has to be more assertive on the offensive end consistently for this offense to be flowing in March.

Coach Barnes said in his postgame interview with Kesling that the players just need to keep taking their open looks and trust that the shots will start falling again. He said they're just in a slump that they'll work their way through.
We played two great defenses this last week and still had open shots and good looks, they'll start falling again.

ZZ's shot looked WRETCHED Saturday. He was short on EVERYTHING including a couple air balls. He has 3 point range AT the line....but anything more than a foot behind that is way out of his zone.

It really is simple. Phillips and JJJ are going to have to get us some tough baskets. They’re gonna have to be the guys to get to the midrange and paint area and score the basketball. We should never have to rely on Ziegler and Vescovi in ISO situations to hit a jump shot. They are far from ISO jump shooters.

When the post play is struggling, we switch to a perimeter-oriented team. That’s when we struggle. And for the life of me, I swear we get to the free throw line far less in the games we struggle offensively. And the ones that do get to the line are our post players who can’t hit the backside of the barn a majority of the time. Basketball has always been this way… when the shots aren’t falling, guard play needs to get physical and get to the basket or the free throw line. But it seems our guards are very hesitant to drive to the rim through contact. We get stifled on a drive and kick it right back out instantly. That’s how you get stagnant. At some point, Phillips is gonna have to create something for us. He’s gotta be more physical and have an edge about him, and get us some tough baskets. He’s the guy that can raise the ceiling of this team. He’s played in enough games to not blame it on his youth.

Maybe Barnes needs to tell Phillips - I want you to shoot at least 10 times a game.

Maybe Barnes needs to tell Phillips - I want you to shoot at least 10 times a game.
From what I’ve seen with younger players, telling them to shoot the ball more is a two-edged sword. A lot of times that leads to them taking bad shots just because they’ve been told “to shoot”. He just needs confidence and to see some balls go through the hoop. For that to happen, he can’t play timid and hesitant. He’s just gotta go play and forget everything else.

Clearly we need to simply hit more buckets. We’ve had open looks but not converting at high clip. IMO our best 3 pt offense by far is the inside out game. Our shooters seem to be more in rhythm. And I agree whoever said our midrange game MUST be more consistent. We get that shot fairly easily so let’s knock them down at a higher clip. And inside 6 ft…let’s start making those too. And keep Uros off the FT line😂.

Honestly, our shot selection is not terrible. But assuming the shot accuracy doesn't just magically return to Gonzaga Exhibition levels, I think we need to get more pick and roll with ZZ & Philips or JJJ. Both the latter can hit 8-10 ft shots and outside of ZZ are our best threat to drive. Plus those guys will have 3s or 4s on them and if they switch onto ZZ that creates an exploitable mismatch.

I'd also set Santi in the corner on these so if his defense sags to help with ZZ of the PNR, that pass and shot becomes an option.

Or, you know, we could just make shots. That would work too.

Last edited:
I think it is mental myself. I think they try too hard to be consistent instead of just naturally going out there and playing their game.

2/21 is a horrendous number even if all 21 are considered guarded 3’s, which they weren’t. I would say 6/7 if not all 7/7 of JJJ’s attempts were considered “good” looks, now if you want to discuss why he’s getting open that’s another topic, but if he’s going to be a 12% 3pt shooter then we’ve got a whole different set of issues to discuss. Zeigler and Vescovi combined for 13 attempts, I would say close to have, probably 6, were considered good looks at 3.

I agree that the law of averages should have allowed a few more makes. They just simply stopped guarding JJJ out there because they knew he couldn't hit and the real danger was letting him dribble into the midrange.

Our first like 5-6 possessions we pounded it into Nkamhoua at the 5 and he missed, the issue with that strategy was it only strengthened Auburn’s plans to play him straight up and play our guards even tighter. When we go inside we need to convert.

This spot on. Someone needs to make them pay for extending so much. Nobody did.

VN Store

Back