What Michigan Fans Think About Joe Milton Starting at UT

One thing I think that a lot of people are missing here is the difference in offenses. Michigan runs a much more complicated pro style offense that requires a lot more complicated reads. Similar to the garbage we ran the last 3 years. Remember how pruitt constantly said the other qbs couldn't beat out JG because they couldn't run the offense? Heupel's offense isn't remotely like this. Milton is not gonna have to stand in the pocket and go through a bunch of reads. On a lot of heupels pass plays the qb and recievers already know where the ball is going before its snapped. There are plays on tape at ucf where the two recievers on the side of the field where the ball isn't going won't even really run routes. The goal of his offense is the speed to keep the d off balance and not allow them to sub in different players for certain downs and distances. As long as our recievers can beat man coverage and get open consistently and Milton can put the ball where it needs to be our passing game is gonna be fine. And the fact that he's huge and can run just makes it that much harder to stop because if the play breaks down he can take off.

Reactions: Pacer92
Nothing they have to say really matters. Milton was a four-star out of HS, and Heupel wanted him at UT, so he has talent. It's not like Harbaugh has developed anyone since he got to Michigan anyway. He may be able to tweak a pro QB's game to be better, but he seems clueless with developing college kids' raw talent.

He's on a new team, he's got new coaches, a new system, and he won the job over another guy with experience at a Power Five school. To hell with Michigan or what he did there. Let's see what he can do for Tennessee.

I think he was recruited for the potential people saw. It definitely wasn't for his stats. He never got to 50% completion and his rushing was pedestrian in HS.

Harbaugh hasnt developed a QB in 6 years at Michigan. Shea Patterson had a decent 2018 after he transferred and then regressed in 2019.

Reactions: Volatility
BG will be, err... should be a blow out, so I think everyone is going to look like a stud player against them. I am curious to see how he performs against Pitt, and if he doesn't perform well I am sure we will see Hooker or Bailey by Florida.

...or at least that is the expectation since this coach appears to be more competent than the last.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Hopefully Milton improves dramatically after transferring. But you could take those same Michigan board comments and sub in any of our QBs names and put them seamlessly on this board.

I sure hope this guy can read defenses and make good decisions because the defense in the SEC is a hell of a lot more buttoned up than it is in the B1G

BG will be, err... should be a blow out, so I think everyone is going to look like a stud player against them. I am curious to see how he performs against Pitt, and if he doesn't perform well I am sure we will see Hooker or Bailey by Florida.

...or at least that is the expectation since this coach appears to be more competent than the last.
I don’t know if a competent coach yanks a qb for a bad half or a bad game. You’ve seen him all fall had 2-3 scrimmages. You’ve got to trust your evaluation more. I’d say an incompetent coach pulls his newly named starter after a bad game. Unless the competition was just that close, but it hasn’t sounded that way, and sounds like Milton was pretty much the starter 2 weeks ago as camp was coming to an end.

Hopefully Milton improves dramatically after transferring. But you could take those same Michigan board comments and sub in any of our QBs names and put them seamlessly on this board.

I sure hope this guy can read defenses and make good decisions because the defense in the SEC is a hell of a lot more buttoned up than it is in the B1G
Not so much in the SEC schedule we play… outside the big 3 none of the other SEC defenses worry me… UF defense don’t really worry me either I just know they have quality athletes all over the field…

Idk until I watch him but maybe a lot of the problems they say he has are related to their offensive system/coaching.

They expect him to Flash Gordon the bird men of Ohio. They doubt he'll collect the pelts of the Panthers and the Gators. Just for the record, they said so.

Meanwhile, I predict that:

There will be peace, peace in the Tennessee Valley for us some day.
There'll be no sadness, no sorrow, no troubles we'll see.
There will be peace, peace in the valley for you and me.

[Apologies to Loretta Lynn]
Tommy Dorsey's song!

The Joe Milton thread on one of the Michigan forums is pretty interesting. 117 comments. Not sure if I'm allowed to link, but mods can delete if not:
link

Overall, Michigan fans seem pretty divided on whether Milton's failure there was the fault of Harbaugh or Milton.

Some comments:

Lots of opinions from Michigan fans. The debates over there remind me of VN.

I'm still skeptical that Milton is going to dramatically improve this year, and yet weirdly optimistic. I doubt he'll have any issues vs BG (and I'm hoping we win big and Hooker / Bailey get some playing time), so the real tests are Pitt and Florida. Regardless, this is the best part of the season: we're undefeated! :D

GBO!
It’s called butt hurt

Milton gets first shot hasn't locked the position down unless he performs on the field. I'm hoping he becomes one of the greatest Tennessee QB's of all time we get our first look Thursday. If he doesn't have a superior performance in that game then he might not be the answer for the rest of the season. I think we need to put up close to 500 yards and 50 points on them for me to think he is the QB that can lead us going forward.

I think he was recruited for the potential people saw. It definitely wasn't for his stats. He never got to 50% completion and his rushing was pedestrian in HS.

That's always been my concern with him. Sometimes, coaches get obsessed with these guys who look like the perfect prototypical QB thinking they can mold them into a superstar, but it rarely works out.

Christian Hackenberg is a great example. He was inaccurate in high school and wasn't that good overall, but got a 5-star rating and was the #13 rated recruit nationally because he looked the part and did well in camps. Everyone thought he'd develop into this great QB, but he goes to Penn State, and he's not that good there, but still gets drafted in the 2nd draft because he "looks like an NFL QB" and surely those coaches will mold him into one. So he goes to the NFL where he still sucks and he's out of the league 2 years later.

My hope is Joe Milton isn't Christian Hackenberg Part 2.

In some fairness, though, his supporting cast at Michigan wasn't great last year. And maybe the offense wasn't the best for him. Hoping he's turned the corner and tears it up here!

VN Store

Back