What marks success against GA

Ball security and be within 2 scores late into the 3rd quarter.

Yeah... I don't see that happening either.

Ball security and be within 2 scores late into the 3rd quarter.

Yeah... I don't see that happening either.
I think the first will happen. Most of the issues with that last week were self inflicted.

That will play a part in the score, but its a tall task to even make that game if you do clean it up.

Fundamentals
Play as a team
Have each others back
ability to tackle
Have less turnovers than dogs
Have an interception......early
Be able to sustain drives
OL and DL improvement
Have less penalty yards than dogs
Better play calling, especially on offense.

If we succeed on 75% of the things listed above, I can walk away with my head held high regardless of the outcome

I won't call it "success." Success in football is always, by definition, winning the game.

But let's call it "progress"--here are some elements:

1. confidence while watching them that all 11 players are actually executing the same play. Especially our offense.
2. every player seems to know his particular job, and does his best to achieve it. [they don't have to be perfect; the other team "gets a vote" too, so if our lad dominates their lad 50% of the time, that's progress].
3. zero, or at most one, dumb mental mistake (like false start), all game long. Not one each. It's a team sport. One.
4. far fewer turnovers than against the Gators.
5. everyone, players and coaches alike, keep their composure even if we're down by 30 points. Fire, yes. Losing it, no.
6. we never give up. Play to the whistle, come what may. Every single player.

That's kinda how I'm looking at it.

I will never forget Tim Priest saying during West Virginia or maybe it was ETSU game "The entire left side of offensive line missed their block"

Nice list... and I want to see us line up on 3rd and 3 and run the ball between the tackles for a first down. Little things, protect the ball for sure but from play to play let's be physical. When we leave 7 men in to protect, there is no excuse for giving up a sack. Assignments need to be met. They are better and will win no matter what we do... but let's play football. Be physical. Block and tackle.
Sorry but you won’t see us line up on 3rd and 3 and run for a 1st down against Georgia with this offensive line. I think some underestimate how bad this unit is.

I’d be happy if they didn’t fold up like a cheap tent at the first sign of adversity.

I will never forget Tim Priest saying during West Virginia or maybe it was ETSU game "The entire left side of offensive line missed their block"

I've lost count of the plays this year that looked like one or two of the players was on a different play than everyone else. Have no way of knowing if that's true, of course, but it sure looks that way frequently this season.

No whiffed blocks. Act like they have some pride. Leave no doubt that they are giving 110% on every play. Be able to tell that they have each others back every play. Play with some intensity, instead of timid. I could just tell that some players had excuses running through thier head last game, convincing thierselves of why they were missing blocks, blowing coverages, ect. Make the Ga players know they where in a football game on sunday morning.

A win. Success isn’t coming close to the task at hand. It’s accomplishing your stated goal. If winning the game isn’t the goal, then maybe there is another answer.

Can’t be greedy here or you’ll be disappointed. All signs point to a 40+ point loss. I’d like to see the OL play better. Specifically, I DON’T want to see UGA get clean pressure on the quarterback. Moderate success on first down would be nice but I’m not holding my breath.

We’ll eventually be good on defense (already better than last year). Looking for more from the O.

Ok I’ve calmed down from the debacle that was the Florida game and regardless of our situation I love watching my Vols. My hope is to see improvement this year each game, which is why I think last weekend was so disappointing as we didn’t see any but rather regression imo.

What are you hoping to see this weekend to mark as successes and what will you take as encouraging glimpses?

I’m really just hoping to see us bounce back from a team aspect, better protection on the OL and a continued improving pass rush. I think that happened last week a bit because of improvement in the secondary.

What do y’all say?

Bump, team met my expectations this week.... still want to see wins but totally different demeanor from our guys this week. Delivered hits and imo did a nice job meeting the physicality of Georgia, made them fight for yardage.

VN Store

Back