What makes Tennessee so special?

I’ve honestly never heard anyone describe Chattanooga that way. Was it your dirty laundry?

They Must live in East Ridge. I kid I kid but yeah dude is off his rocker.

The city literally has a program to dump deodorant down the sewer in the summer to try to hide the Odor due to the ancient decaying sewer infrastructure.

The EPA is fining the city due to leaks from the sewage treatment plant that is 1-2 miles from the aquarium, which frequently results in tons of untreated raw sewage running down the river. If the breeze blows towards downtown, the smell from the plant is revolting. Good thing most of those new pricey Condos and apartments have high vacancy rates.

Currently, the city council is trying to pass an order ordenance to control the foul smell from the multiple chicken processing plants located in the “nice” part of town.

A travel writer from the New York Times bashed downtown a few years ago during the drought when the stench became unbearable. Google Chattanooga smell and you will get hundreds of directly related hits.

Last year, several downtown business were flooded with raw sewage after a heavy rain due to the decaying sewer.

All of the good press is generated by writers that are paid off by the city funded River City organization, downtown visitors bureau, or chamber of commerce.

One area of town has a higher crime rate than Detroit and Memphis.

The only way to avoid the stench is to live in Ooltewah, but the county Mayor is trying to build a giant sewage plant in the middle of the nicest fastest growing area.

So yes, it’s a literal s**t hole.

Last edited:
The city literally has a program to dump deodorant down the sewer in the summer to try to hide the Odor due to the ancient decaying sewer infrastructure.

The EPA is fining the city due to leaks from the sewage treatment plant that is 1-2 miles from the aquarium, which frequently results in tons of untreated raw sewage running down the river. If the breeze blows towards downtown, the smell from the plant is revolting. Good thing most of those new pricey Condos and apartments have high vacancy rates.

Currently, the city council is trying to pass an order ordenance to control the foul smell from the multiple chicken processing plants located in the “nice” part of town.

A travel writer from the New York Times bashed downtown a few years ago during the drought when the stench became unbearable. Google Chattanooga smell and you will get hundreds of directly related hits.

Last year, several downtown business were flooded with raw sewage after a heavy rain due to the decaying sewer.

All of the good press is generated by writers that are paid off by the city funded River City organization, downtown visitors bureau, or chamber of commerce.

The only way to avoid the stench is to live in Ooltewah, but the county Mayor is trying to build a giant sewage plant in the middle of the nicest fastest growing area.

This problem is occurring in many places throughout the US. Has been for years. Systems are aging and solutions are not simple, but this is not unique to Chattanooga

We have tons of Professional and College sports teams. Vols, Grizzlies, Titans, Predators, etc. A lot of nearby states don't have any Pro teams of note.

This thread turned to crap fast. :oops:

GSMNP, hands down.

I lived in Clarksville for a few years when I was younger (mom was stationed at Ft. Campbell), and I just remember how flat everything out there was. A lot more tornadoes, too; we lived there during the big one in '99 that destroyed the bank and damaged a lot of the downtown area. My brother happened to be on a field trip to Nashville in '98 the day of those multiple tornadoes. Everywhere you drove, just flat, flat, flat. Flat and as far as the eye could see.

Now, don't get me wrong, Clarksville had its charms, too. There's some nice nature closeby like Land Between the Lakes, and going to Austin Peay basketball and baseball games were always tons of fun as a kid.

East TN is a whole different story. Roads in East TN will treat you to some of the best sights the country has to offer. Up and down 411 and Alcoa Highway the mountains just hang in their dim blue haze far out in the distance, visible from almost every stretch of the road. They grow grander and more beautiful as you approach, your young mind somewhat recognizing the places and landmarks you've been before as your dad tells you stories about running through the mountains with his friends when he was younger, your mom pointing out restaurants and places you stopped as a family before always reminding you that you're probably too young to remember them.

You always remember the drives from when you were younger. Suddenly those mountain roads are the ones you learn to drive on and grow up on. I can't count how many times throughout high school and college me and my buds would go kill a Saturday or Sunday afternoon by driving through the Parkway, going down into Deals Gap, making a nighttime stop at Top of the World, or going out to Fontana before finally getting back to Maryville. Not to mention summertime daytrips to the Y, stopping off and biking through Cades Cove, the drive into Dollywood or Pigeon Forge, or hiking through unforgettable trails to places like Spence Field or Charlie's Bunion. Pulled off at a stop on Foothills Parkway with some friends the night we graduated from Maryville College and saw a shooting star. Those places your parents reminded you about become homes for your own memories.

GSMNP treats you to unforgettable experiences like that. I lived 3 years in the most mountainous region of Japan. I love the Japanese mountains, too, but the trails and roads are not nearly as well maintained as GSMNP's, nor are the memories as fond. I'm living in Tokyo now and being in nothing but concrete and urban jungle makes me long for the mountains like no other. I'm gonna be home for a week this spring and my dad and I already plan to go drive through the new section of the parkway. Really can't wait for that.

Oh, and of course the University of Tennessee Volunteers!

GSMNP, hands down.

I lived in Clarksville for a few years when I was younger (mom was stationed at Ft. Campbell), and I just remember how flat everything out there was. A lot more tornadoes, too; we lived there during the big one in '99 that destroyed the bank and damaged a lot of the downtown area. My brother happened to be on a field trip to Nashville in '98 the day of those multiple tornadoes. Everywhere you drove, just flat, flat, flat. Flat and as far as the eye could see.

Now, don't get me wrong, Clarksville had its charms, too. There's some nice nature closeby like Land Between the Lakes, and going to Austin Peay basketball and baseball games were always tons of fun as a kid.

East TN is a whole different story. Roads in East TN will treat you to some of the best sights the country has to offer. Up and down 411 and Alcoa Highway the mountains just hang in their dim blue haze far out in the distance, visible from almost every stretch of the road. They grow grander and more beautiful as you approach, your young mind somewhat recognizing the places and landmarks you've been before as your dad tells you stories about running through the mountains with his friends when he was younger, your mom pointing out restaurants and places you stopped as a family before always reminding you that you're probably too young to remember them.

You always remember the drives from when you were younger. Suddenly those mountain roads are the ones you learn to drive on and grow up on. I can't count how many times throughout high school and college me and my buds would go kill a Saturday or Sunday afternoon by driving through the Parkway, going down into Deals Gap, making a nighttime stop at Top of the World, or going out to Fontana before finally getting back to Maryville. Not to mention summertime daytrips to the Y, stopping off and biking through Cades Cove, the drive into Dollywood or Pigeon Forge, or hiking through unforgettable trails to places like Spence Field or Charlie's Bunion. Pulled off at a stop on Foothills Parkway with some friends the night we graduated from Maryville College and saw a shooting star. Those places your parents reminded you about become homes for your own memories.

GSMNP treats you to unforgettable experiences like that. I lived 3 years in the most mountainous region of Japan. I love the Japanese mountains, too, but the trails and roads are not nearly as well maintained as GSMNP's, nor are the memories as fond. I'm living in Tokyo now and being in nothing but concrete and urban jungle makes me long for the mountains like no other. I'm gonna be home for a week this spring and my dad and I already plan to go drive through the new section of the parkway. Really can't wait for that.

Oh, and of course the University of Tennessee Volunteers!

Wow, thanks for your post.

In preparation for what could be one of the greatest weekends in TN basketball history, I decided to repeat a thread I did a few years back that everyone seemed to enjoy. So what is the answer? I'll start with a few things: Birthplace of rock n roll (Memphis) and country music (Bristol), and Music City USA (Nashville). That's a lot of musical tradition in one state.

George Dickel
Sun Drop........for many years, you could only buy Sun Drop in certain parts of Tennessee
Sun Drop and George Dickel
Smallmouth Bass lakes
Does any other state have such a cool and fitting nickname?........Volunteers!

South Knoxville (the dirty south mountain biking)
Tennessee Theater
Amazing rivers and creeks (Clinch River, French Broad River, Caney Fork, Little River, Tellico River, Middle Prong of Little Pigeon, and so many more)
Appalachian mountains
Cumberland plateau
Bluegrass music
Trails, trails, trails

Reactions: russahouse
I had a guy who worked for me out West who drove me batty with his stories about his home state of Tennessee and the Vols. He was over bearing, downright obnoxious. Not surprisingly, my opinion of Tennessee was not positive.

But a few years later I came here on business and damn if he wasn't right. For me it was the friendly people, the lush green hills and most off all great lake living an easy drive from work.

Began figuring out how it might work and when I was offered a job in '95 I parked my butt beside Watts Bar Lake. I still enjoy my annual trip out West to visit old friends, but I'd never live anywhere else.

I had a guy who worked for me out West who drove me batty with his stories about his home state of Tennessee and the Vols. He was over bearing, downright obnoxious. Not surprisingly, my opinion of Tennessee was not positive.

But a few years later I came here on business and damn if he wasn't right. For me it was the friendly people, the lush green hills and most off all great lake living an easy drive from work.

Began figuring out how it might work and when I was offered a job in '95 I parked my butt beside Watts Bar Lake. I still enjoy my annual trip out West to visit old friends, but I'd never live anywhere else.
I moved out west 3 years ago and just want to be back. Rocky Top will always be home, sweet home to me.

I’ve honestly never heard pigeon forge or Gatlinburg called beautiful, and having lived in Chattanooga, it’s an overrated ****hole that literally smells like **** 9 months of the year. Nashville has lost its soul. Love the rest of state.
Yep...Downtown Chatt definitely has a stench on a warm day. I don't know what it is but it's been there as long as I can remember. Still love the city though.

The sound of a hundred bass boats launching from the Lenoir City marina and you hear the engines whine 5 miles up the channel. Love it!

Reactions: LSG410EC83
Fried catfish
Flea markets
Pickwick Lake
Shiloh Natural Military Park
Hagy's Catfish Hotel
Gospel music "singins"
Summer revivals
Daryl Worley

Perspective from the western end of our state. :)

Reactions: gordonr24
Lived here all but 3 (the 3 after college and then moved back) years of my 58 years of life. Aint nothing like those beautiful mountains of Northeast Tennessee. Always ready to go on vacation, but upon arriving back home, the same remark has come out of my mouth, "We live in the most beautiful place in the world, hands down!" This time of year along with fall is my favorite. Red buds and Dogwoods blooming, lakes coming back up to summer level, perfect motorcycle riding, soon to be the smell of fresh cut hay in the field, the changing of the trees leaves in the fall, lakes dropping back to winter levels (great fishing on the flats on Cherokee), the sound of "IT'S FOOTBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE", which runs into "IT'S BASKETBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE". Most of all, it is that pure, northeast Tennessee accent (which is slowly being taught out of our youngens) along with people as a whole treating each other with respect. Love my state with all my heart. Could go on and on, but I got some popcorn salt in my eye. lol

Lived here all but 3 (the 3 after college and then moved back) years of my 58 years of life. Aint nothing like those beautiful mountains of Northeast Tennessee. Always ready to go on vacation, but upon arriving back home, the same remark has come out of my mouth, "We live in the most beautiful place in the world, hands down!" This time of year along with fall is my favorite. Red buds and Dogwoods blooming, lakes coming back up to summer level, perfect motorcycle riding, soon to be the smell of fresh cut hay in the field, the changing of the trees leaves in the fall, lakes dropping back to winter levels (great fishing on the flats on Cherokee), the sound of "IT'S FOOTBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE", which runs into "IT'S BASKETBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE". Most of all, it is that pure, northeast Tennessee accent (which is slowly being taught out of our youngens) along with people as a whole treating each other with respect. Love my state with all my heart. Could go on and on, but I got some popcorn salt in my eye. lol

Leave those kids alone. ;)

Fried catfish
Flea markets
Pickwick Lake
Shiloh Natural Military Park
Hagy's Catfish Hotel
Gospel music "singins"
Summer revivals
Daryl Worley

Perspective from the western end of our state. :)

Quite the diversity in our long state - although what you describe is not the Tennessee I know, I appreciate you can love it as much as me

I'd say the variety is what makes this great state so attractive to so many.
From the city life to the rural living. Hunting, fishing, history, arts, sports and many more things that people find fun and entertaining. There is something for everyone. Also there is a very attractive job market and no state income tax that just tops it off.

Reactions: orange_glory
02-Katrina-Game-MK-IMG_1115.jpg

Reactions: orange_glory

VN Store

Back