What is wrong with Kentucky Basketball?

You’re right @Boston Vol , I apologize. Cal should win every single game by a minimum of 37 points, every year, every game. His overall record should be 1,376-0.

You’re right @Boston Vol , I apologize. Cal should win every single game by a minimum of 37 points, every year, every game. His overall record should be 1,376-0.

I live in the state of the Kentucky and let me tell you, they’re just as dissatisfied with Calipari due to the lack of Tournament success.

With their tradition and resources, there is no excuse for them to be competing for National Titles. They’ve had plenty of talent over the years to do so.

I live in the state of the Kentucky and let me tell you, they’re just as dissatisfied with Calipari due to the lack of Tournament success.

With their tradition and resources, there is no excuse for them to be competing for National Titles. They’ve had plenty of talent over the years to do so.
I'm always amazed at how one little word can change the entire message sometimes. :p

At what point is it fair for Ky fans to criticize Cal? I mean 15 first round picks in the past 7 seven years, but nothing to show for it. How far should they go this year? Clearly they should wipe the floor with Providence right? I mean the Friars best player is a guy who couldn’t get onto the floor at Ky because Cal thought he wasn’t good enough. Then poor K-State doesn’t have anywhere near the talent of mighty Kentucky. So is it fair ti criticize Cal for anything short of a sweet 16 appearance?
Purely my opinion, but evaluating coaches on the basis of how far they go in NCAATs I think is tough because it is such a random postseason format which I think gets more random by the year (lots of parity in college basketball). Until last year, Cal actually made NCAAT runs more consistently than maybe anyone else. His performance in NCAATs from 2010-19 is outstanding.

I think a better metric for success for a CBB coach is how consistently is that coach getting you good seeds in NCAATs, which maximize your chances to make NCAAT runs. 2 out of the last 3 seasons, Cal actually hasn't been great at that. They were awful during the COVID year and missed the tourney entirely, and this year had an up-and-down season resulting in a 6 seed.

Coach A is in the tournament every year, often at a high seed, but frequently gets bounced too early. Coach B isn't consistently in the tournament, but when they they do make it it seems like they always advance further than you'd think. In a vacuum, personally I think Coach A is better than Coach B but I think most CBB fans would see it differently.

Purely my opinion, but evaluating coaches on the basis of how far they go in NCAATs I think is tough because it is such a random postseason format which I think gets more random by the year (lots of parity in college basketball). Until last year, Cal actually made NCAAT runs more consistently than maybe anyone else. His performance in NCAATs from 2010-19 is outstanding.

I think a better metric for success for a CBB coach is how consistently is that coach getting you good seeds in NCAATs, which maximize your chances to make NCAAT runs. 2 out of the last 3 seasons, Cal actually hasn't been great at that. They were awful during the COVID year and missed the tourney entirely, and this year had an up-and-down season resulting in a 6 seed.

Coach A is in the tournament every year, often at a high seed, but frequently gets bounced too early. Coach B isn't consistently in the tournament, but when they they do make it it seems like they always advance further than you'd think. In a vacuum, personally I think Coach A is better than Coach B but I think most CBB fans would see it differently.

True but even under regular season metric, UK wasn't that good. They were a 6 seed that at one time was not even projected to be in.

True but even under regular season metric, UK wasn't that good. They were a 6 seed that at one time was not even projected to be in.
Correct - they should have been much better this year. It's the second subpar regular season in 3 years, unless you want to give Cal a mulligan for the COVID year.

having top two classes consistently should net you better results than he has.

Over the last 5 seasons:
UK: 22-13 (62%), 26-8 (76%), 9-16 (36%), 25-6 (80%), and 30-7 (81%) for an average of: 69%
UT:25-10 (71%). 27-8 (77%). 18-9(66%). 17-14 (54%). and 31-6 (83%) for an average of: 71%
he doesn't need to be 1.000 to be meeting expectations, but he should be consistently better than us. His best year, is worse than our best year over that time, and his worst year was worse than our worst. and our recruiting rankings aren't anywhere close to theirs. Our best classes have topped out at #5, their worst is #4.

at this point he is looking like Jimbo Fischer.

Reactions: 05_never_again
having top two classes consistently should net you better results than he has.

Over the last 5 seasons:
UK: 22-13 (62%), 26-8 (76%), 9-16 (36%), 25-6 (80%), and 30-7 (81%) for an average of: 69%
UT:25-10 (71%). 27-8 (77%). 18-9(66%). 17-14 (54%). and 31-6 (83%) for an average of: 71%
he doesn't need to be 1.000 to be meeting expectations, but he should be consistently better than us. His best year, is worse than our best year over that time, and his worst year was worse than our worst. and our recruiting rankings aren't anywhere close to theirs. Our best classes have topped out at #5, their worst is #4.

at this point he is looking like Jimbo Fischer.
Even worse than the lack of tournament success are the regular seasons they've had 2 of the past 3 seasons. I know the ultimate metric that coaches are judged on, especially at blue bloods, is tournament success but that thing is so damn random. If you have a coach who is consistently getting into the NCAAT at a pretty good seed, then you've got a good coach. That's why Tennessee has a good coach, even if many don't realize it.

Cal's bigger sin than the lack of tournament success the past 3 years is that 2 of the 3 regular seasons he's had aren't great. The COVID year was awful by any standard, and this season wasn't good by UK standards. They had to materially improve midseason just to get a 6 seed. If you're just a 6, then you're likely facing a really good team in just your second game. Which is exactly what happened to UK.

Reactions: Pennheel
Six Final Fours. Yes, he’s on a dry stretch, but that’s not Jumbo Fisher. Stupid comparison. He’s not the greatest ever, but he’s massively closer to greatest ever than steaming pile of poo like what y’all want to paint him as

Cal cannot coach. He is kind of like Butch. Can assemble the talent but can not raise the level of the athlete he has recruited.

Reactions: joevol33
Cal cannot coach. He is kind of like Butch. Can assemble the talent but can not raise the level of the athlete he has recruited.
I think it's more a case that he never has veteran starters. You flip your roster every year and it's just going to be difficult. When I watched the youth Duke threw out against our mature players, it highlighted things a bit for me.

VN Store

Back